HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:45 PM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
United States, NE, Papillion
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
Build Log
My Falcon 64 Design and Build

Hello everybody, down below is my design of what I am calling the Falcon 64 because it is based off the falcon jet design and I will be using a 64mm edf fan to power it. I used Google sketchup which is a decent 3d modeling program nothing like autocad but it is free so can't complain there. I am kind of a newbie when it comes to scratch builds, I have only built flat foamies with no airfoil (except KF airfoils but those do not count). So I have a couple of questions that might help me have a more successful designing/building stage.

Ribs?
-The plane has a 36in wingspan and I have the ribs setup with 3 inches of space between them. Is that too much? Should i have more ribs in my wing?

-I was planing on cutting the ribs out of 1/16 balsa. Should I move up in size and use 1/8?

Design?
-What do you think of it? Would yo change anything?
-As of now I do not have a rudder. Would it be worth it to add them in?
-Control surfaces. Are they the right size?

I know it is a lot of questions but would rather have them answered now while the plane is still in the designing stage than when it is already put together.

Thanks in advance
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman
Last edited by j3tman; May 19, 2013 at 02:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:36 PM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,411 Posts
Wicked look's good
space 1 is offline Find More Posts by space 1
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:41 PM
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
Yeah things my favorite jet design of all time!
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:53 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3tman View Post
Ribs?
-The plane has a 36in wingspan and I have the ribs setup with 3 inches of space between them. Is that too much? Should i have more ribs in my wing?

-I was planing on cutting the ribs out of 1/16 balsa. Should I move up in size and use 1/8?
3" rib spacing is normal.

1/16" balsa is fine for the ribs.
DanSavage is offline Find More Posts by DanSavage
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:13 PM
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSavage View Post
3" rib spacing is normal.

1/16" balsa is fine for the ribs.
Thank you! I think it looks pretty proportional if you ask me and will hopefully keep the weight down.

I will soon be ordering the carbon rods, strips, foam, and making a trip to the hobby store to get all the balsa. Then I will be able to start cutting out all of the pieces and putting this plane together. I do imagine that I will probably take me awhile to fully build the plane due to school and sports but atleast it will get my mind off those things

Once the build starts I will be posting lots of pics and maybe some videos of my progress.

Last thing, this is going to just be the prototype. If it fly's then great but if it doesnt then no sweat and back to the drawing board.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:24 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
if you want a rudder(s), you can control one side only with a single servo and then use a torque tube between rudders to drive the other side. imagine the ailerons on a biplane to give you an idea. two servos on the tail is better and lighter than three servos.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:52 PM
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
if you want a rudder(s), you can control one side only with a single servo and then use a torque tube between rudders to drive the other side. imagine the ailerons on a biplane to give you an idea. two servos on the tail is better and lighter than three servos.

Rich
I was thinking about doing something along those lines so I dont have to have two servos controlling the rudder. Do you think the the tube/rod connecting the rudders would ruin any of the thrust output?
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:02 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
if you keep the rod close to the elevator surface, I think you'll be ok. or perhaps somehow have the rod above the elevator surface. I wouldn't worry about it too much. the only problem I could see you having, is if the rod material isn't very strong and flexes under load from flight stresses and/or efflux pressure. I'de use CF rod, Aluminum or both. another option to consider is rod shape. a teardrop shape is going to be much better than a round shape. blunt edge facing forwards.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:24 PM
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
You are the master at this stuff. I will look into all of those suggestions.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:56 AM
Joined Sep 2010
163 Posts
I would look at your final weight/thrust. You might have to move up to a 70 EDF to power it.
Make sure you strengthen the tail end for mine ended up fluttering due to the combine EDF flow and forward speed.
Did not install rudders and it flies well in gusty winds. This came about by playing with the CG.
aero1960 is offline Find More Posts by aero1960
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:54 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,410 Posts
for the rudder I would put the rudder servo in the center of the wing/fuse and then just run a flexible pushrod out the fuselage to each boom and then down the center of the boom and have it pop out the sides before the rudder LE and connect to the rudder via a conventional control arm. simple and slop free
invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:36 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,932 Posts
Good lookin' design.

Here's my 2‬.
The LE on the airfoil is way too sharp. Will make for a twitchy elevator.

I would put two servos on the elev, one on each side. No elev twisting with that set up.
And a servo on each rudder.

The two extra servos weigh less than an ounce together. I would bet all the extra push rods and would be the same weight.
Boogie_ is online now Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old May 19, 2013, 02:11 PM
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
Building Time

Well I've started the build!!!!

Check it out:

Also I would you y'all you keep this in mind, this is only my prototype and using this build as a experiment on how i would like to build future planes.
Old May 19, 2013, 05:49 PM
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
Vertical Stabs and Beginning Ribs

Built the vertical stabs and also started on the ribs for the main wing.
Old May 19, 2013, 06:03 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,981 Posts
Starting to take shape.

It would be nice if you put captions on the photos! Nice to know what each is.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake