HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:38 PM
United States, ID
Joined Sep 2011
423 Posts
Sorry to jack the thread Dave, but I've got another item for your todo list... Clean out your PM box, it's not accepting any messages because it's full!
jakestew is offline Find More Posts by jakestew
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:43 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
uh oh... thanks jake. i thought things were unusually nice and quiet here the last couple weeks. time for some pre-spring cleaning. anyway normally i discourage using pm for back room gossip or redundant info requests and now you know why. always better to post in relevant threads so others can benefit. imo pm should only be used for personal info best not made public. thats why its called "personal" message... right?
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:57 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,673 Posts
Hey Dave, tried Pm a while back then got bounced so I tried email, you have any "DaveContverters" left?
djdavies83 is offline Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:23 AM
Joined Apr 2012
3,629 Posts
But this dave converter still working or not?No feedback regarding this one ...it was promised one build to see if/how is flying.
midelic is offline Find More Posts by midelic
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DIY Multiprotocol TX Module
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:10 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavies83 View Post
Hey Dave, tried Pm a while back then got bounced so I tried email, you have any "DaveContverters" left?
sorry dj, if you mean email address linked to my paypal i dont have access. its a long story but basically i wasnt old enough for a credit card so a friend set me up with that account. i dont have access to his cc or email but the paypal comes in handy for buying and selling. if he shuts it down or runs out of bank balance someday (unlikely) ill have to set up my own. right now my cc is joint account with wifey who isnt active in the hobby or business so im holding off doing that unless necessary.

but to answer your question, except for the two i kept for myself, there are no more available right now. i can get more but dont want to bother the client unless these prove useful for the brushless diy quad. i built a complete brushless dquad and, while the motors spin up and seem to respond properly, i havent really flown under control yet.

my first attempt resulted in skyrocket behaviour almost drilling a hole in the ceiling so im not going to try again until weather permits outside testing. in addition to more room i also need warmer temps because the batteries im using are marginal and simply cant supply the much higher current needed by the brushless version when cold. current requirements appear to be several times that of the pager motors.

i will update any progress in thedave converter thread.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:24 PM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,673 Posts
There is a dedicated DaveConverter thread?

I've just started a part time job in a small independent electronics company, I had to solder a link to bypass resistors in 57 433Mhz units today....
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359505327.157639.jpg
Views: 134
Size: 148.8 KB
Description:
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359505371.372405.jpg
Views: 215
Size: 179.8 KB
Description:
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359505395.024589.jpg
Views: 207
Size: 171.0 KB
Description:
Loving it so far, shame it's only part time, they make Nursing Call-points mainly but boss man wrote PIC programs for most of the hard wear they produce, could a PIC do the same/can you point me to some information?

I would still be interested in buying a DaveConverter if they were available again.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:02 PM
Joined Apr 2012
3,629 Posts
There is.
post your problems here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1746379
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:16 PM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
"thedaveconverter" how that makes me smile

Without reading the whole thread any reason your not/can't use https://github.com/bitdump/BLHeli ?
Supports 1kHz, 2kHz, 4kHz or 8kHz positive or negative pwm as input signal even ppm covered and feature for Heli's/multi copter. And some great hardware/software to program/setup all using Arduino.
Just assuming your using dp 3a supermicro 3.5a esc.
SadSack is offline Find More Posts by SadSack
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:41 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavies83 View Post
Loving it so far, shame it's only part time, they make Nursing Call-points mainly but boss man wrote PIC programs for most of the hard wear they produce, could a PIC do the same/can you point me to some information?
looks like you lucked into a great job dj. i spend 5 days a week doing that kinda stuff and love it too. specially fortunate if you can get into r&d or service. never know whats gonna come up next.

"my name is dave and im addicted to solder!"

anyway i spent the whole day saturday building half gram flysky rxs for local group. what a blast. and every one of those units worked first try. i started in on another deadbug but thats a whole other story. takes hours just to get just one going unlike the half gram pcbs which take minutes.

then sunday got together with a couple buddies and managed 3 planes in the air at once this time. very good hint that at least the preliminary software is somewhat under control. we did have problems with flights cut short due to low battery temperature but thats unavoidable below freezing. i did have a few more ideas for improved features and got suggestions from others for the to-do list. scribbled on a piece of paper so when i find it ill update.

im not much of a pic person these days but thiery in the protocol thread is and made some excellent suggestions on microchip setup. i am thinking of giving it a try myself but my programmer and assembler are out of date. i wish their toolsets were as inexpensive, stable, and consistant as atmels.
Last edited by dave1993; Jan 30, 2013 at 12:47 PM. Reason: pic
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:03 PM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,673 Posts
"Hi Dave, I'm Dave and I'm also addicted to solder"

Funny you should mention R&D, part my me assessment so to speak was "I've made this but it only lasts an hour or two" Chuck in a 18650 5V boost regulator and and I had the product to theoretically capable of running for about three weeks. He also wants me to look at improving the speed (methods) at which his products are produced.

I'll check that guy out in the protocol thread, I saw the other day that it's possible to program PIC with the USBASP programmer....

http://dangerousprototypes.com/2012/...rocontrollers/
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:41 PM
Joined Apr 2012
3,629 Posts
Dave on mega8 ...PB5 =SCK.Did you program the port differently?...you mentioned PB4=SCK,
I have one mega8-16PU.Can this one be programmed(fuses) to work with 3,2V?On the specs working between 4.5-5.5V.
A7105 is working on 3.2v.
I see on the first post, fuses are set c0a4......this is to program mega8 for low voltage?Which one if high or low?...I now you start with high first,so H=c0,and L=a4...right?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by midelic; Jan 31, 2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:39 PM
ITALY
Joined Sep 2004
928 Posts
atmega8L

I think that you need the Atmega8L version,low voltage.
- 2.7V - 5.5V (ATmega8L)
- 4.5V - 5.5V (ATmega8)
Ivan2280 is offline Find More Posts by Ivan2280
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:16 PM
Joined Apr 2012
3,629 Posts
Maybe no, Dave is fuse magician.
If you look in the post1 photo the MCU is Amega8-16 PC which is 4.5-5.5V.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by midelic; Jan 31, 2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:39 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
mega8 and mega8l are actually the same part. just batch tested and labeled differently. i always suspected this but confirmed when a popular hacker site exposed the die. there are many other avrs masquerading under different part numbers. for instance i have a whole bunch of low end 6 pin dealies with die from higher end parts. i dont complain because we get bigger memory for a few cents less.

basically if you go by specs avrs are approved for 3v@8mhz which is the deal here and nearly all my other projects. imo xtl is rarely needed. here in the real world arduino gang etc have determined 3v is good for 16mhz too. also note that most of them will work well below 2v although that precludes using bod which is important to protect ee/flash. specially if theres self-program code anywhere in the chip (ie bootloader).
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:30 AM
Joined Apr 2012
3,629 Posts
Dave,
??

Quote:
Originally Posted by midelic View Post
Dave on mega8 ...PB5 =SCK.Did you program the port differently?...you mentioned PB4=SCK,

I see on the first post, fuses are set c0a4......this is to program mega8 for low voltage?Which one if high or low?...
I now you start with high first,so H=c0,and L=a4...right?
RCG Plus Member