HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:32 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
yesterday i had a chance to check out the latest batch of rxs against my radio collection and results were pretty much as expected. the one from thierry and mine using original methods worked for most transmitters but skipped channels on a few. like i said the servos appear to work ok though. just like before a couple didnt bind at at but this is a minority. thierrys was a little more sensitive to errors and quit with fewer missing channels than my mine.

my newest units and the one from post #1 worked with all radios. pretty much the same results as last time.

and hey midelic, i checked out your serial hex file and must admit im impressed. seeing the unique bitcount and odd timing delay it was obvious you developed that code from scratch. no cut and past from atmel app notes or arduino sketches. few would have the competence or motivation to take that approach. i think using assembler and getting a software uart going that way is an excellent learning experience and puts you way ahead of the pack. im convinced now that given enough time you could handle just about anything this hobby could throw at you.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2013, 11:54 AM
Joined Apr 2012
3,726 Posts
Yes, you are right ...I learned a lot ,I finished the PPM code ,I can see all channels(mine are 6ch)I lost a lot of time for this..3 days lost to find the PPM signal is logic high and I should count the falling edges ,another 3 days lost with the code because I forgot the low channels data and high data should be moved at the same time............I'm very very close ,I tested the module .....but still the led on Rx is not coming solid red.....but curious the motors are starting full throtle...so something rx is receiving...maybe the packet frame timing or channels order.....i'm still investigating...
midelic is offline Find More Posts by midelic
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by midelic; Mar 04, 2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 07:27 PM
Joined Apr 2012
3,726 Posts
Dave,
Finally I got some improvement.Binding is ok ..............LED is solid red but is working only throttle with 2 opposite motors.I need to investigate more.When moving throttle stick should start all motors.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by midelic; Mar 05, 2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:53 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
midelic, i think you should not edit so much but start new posts instead. when i came back to answer this morning your post was completely different. even if you do it a few minutes later if things change a lot it causes people (ie me) to answer the wrong questions.

anyway glad you are getting better results. so you are using a quad to test? im surprised this works with all the gyro and mixing going on. its quite common for not all motors to start at the same time. often they dont all spin up the same until the quad has left the ground.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:17 PM
Joined Apr 2012
3,726 Posts
Sorry for the previous post editing......but I solved that problem.I was a strange one.

About the motors is not that,I know sometimes not start all motors the problem is that not starting the other 2 motors at all.I tried with other tx and the quad is ok.
About the throttle....the data for throttle channel should be on the 3 rd -2 bytes column...of the servo data for all channels...right?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by midelic; Mar 05, 2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:26 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
how do the signals look on the scope? do you have servos? i use servos to test channels. better than scope because you can see all 8 at once. and they only cost a dollar or two ea.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:30 PM
Joined Apr 2012
3,726 Posts
I don't have servo atm.I'll buy one soon.So I can check the servo data with a scope?
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DIY Multiprotocol TX Module
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:42 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
one? hey buddy, these are so cheap you really need to pick up a dozen. even if they stop working you got tons of useful components: motors, esc board, cable connectors, gears, a virtual goldmine of parts.

of course you can use a scope to check pwm. you can check ANYTHING with a scope. ive seen a scope simply hooked up to a guys finger used as a lie detector. true story. and it worked.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 03:13 PM
Joined Apr 2012
3,726 Posts
Dave,
Do you know how the individual servo commands are related with the motors speed?
for example:
1. for throttle all motors should start the same speed (more or less depend on the gyro).
2. rudder ...?Which motors have speed increased or reduced?
3 ail......?the same.
4.ele......? the same.
I want to test some ideas.I did another test...which gives me running 3 motors,,ant the 4th was stopped.I suspect that the channels orders in not good.
My servo data in not PWM signal is data bytes(timing in us of each channel).....so checking with a scope gives me nothing.
I"m building a tx not rx.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by midelic; Mar 05, 2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 03:19 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midelic View Post
Dave,
Do you know how the individual servo commands are related with the motors speed?
no. and i dont think anybody else does either with these toy quad controllers. i dont think they even use similar controll algorithms (pid) like the big quads. big ones like kk are open source so theres maybe a chance but still unlikely. like i said before its so complicated with the mixing and gyro input i dont see how you can predict anything.

i suggest scope for now and/or servos if you are serious about finishing in a reasonable time. or maybe puthex at high baud if theres time between pulses.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 03:25 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
btw i got a new name for you. you will henceforth be known as... The Editor. lol!
Old Mar 05, 2013, 03:36 PM
Joined Apr 2012
3,726 Posts
For using properly a scope or servo I need to convert the servo timing data on each channel in a PWM signal.It needs more coding........more problems.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2013, 03:40 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
oh yeah... generating 1ms pulse. i agree you may not be ready for that level of programming yet. specially considering it takes 4 instructions to set up this mcu to do it automatically in the background. tricky stuff. lol!

if it aint needed for your app then i can see why you might not. but you do need some way other than that quad i think.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 03:44 PM
Joined Apr 2012
3,726 Posts
It is called reverse psychology.
It is not like I'm not ready.....jumping from one program to another......I feel like loosing time.
Edit.again.....Oookkkk.....uffff,...
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2013, 10:48 AM
Joined Apr 2012
3,726 Posts
I'm using timer 1 for input capture interrupt ICP1,and i have the timing data for each channel in microsec....so I cannot use the same timer OCRx for generating square wave.
RCG Plus Member