HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:30 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quandry View Post
Reading through the manual it seems that the AR635 has two gain modes - sport & 3d. The programming looks a little complicated for field adjustments, also the gain can only be adjusted in increments of 10% which back in my heli days 10% is massive.

Still I've had good experience with my Beast 3D and Hyper Taxi so can't loose faith at this early stage

I wonder will the gain be sufficient to hold a hover hands off?
I know the mechanical setup of the plane has to be condusive but just wondering..
Quandry,

I think that would require a heading-hold mode. As set up on the UMX planes, AS3X operates in rate mode.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:46 AM
Ireland, Co. Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2012
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Quandry,

I think that would require a heading-hold mode. As set up on the UMX planes, AS3X operates in rate mode.

Joel
On their Blade series helis they achieve Heading Hold with AS3X so it seems to be capable. That's why I was wondering if maybe a high gain will give heading hold, could be interesting.
Quandry is offline Find More Posts by Quandry
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:37 PM
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Newtownards
Joined Mar 2012
86 Posts
The Spektrum website says the receiver is suitable for '90-size electric airplanes (not designed for nitro or gas aircraft)'.
I haven't got a clue what 90 size means. Would someone enlighten me, please?
Sophisticat is offline Find More Posts by Sophisticat
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:42 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticat View Post
The Spektrum website says the receiver is suitable for '90-size electric airplanes (not designed for nitro or gas aircraft)'.
I haven't got a clue what 90 size means. Would someone enlighten me, please?
90 size means an airplane with a 90 size motor like E flite's Power 90 http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...odID=EFLM4090A

The Power 90 is rated for sport/scale planes 8-13 lbs or 3D planes up to 10 lbs.
Mugen4Lfe is offline Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:47 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,478 Posts
Expanding a bit on Mugen's post...

For a number of decades, recommended 2-stroke glow-engine displacement was the standard measurement of RC plane sizes. For instance, a '40-size' plane typically requires a .40-.46 cubic-inch two-stroke glow engine, and AUW is usually around 4-5 pounds for a purpose-built aerobatic model.

Larger electrics adopted the same nomenclature, as it simplified the electric conversion process. So, '90-size electric' is a reference to ICE power, in which the plane would require an electric motor with power similar to a .90 cubic-inch 2-stroke glow engine.

Joel
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:27 PM
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Newtownards
Joined Mar 2012
86 Posts
Mugen4Lfe and turboparker, thank you, that's very helpful.
90 is much more than adequate for the planes I fly.
I like AS3X, so I'll definitely give this receiver a try.
Sophisticat is offline Find More Posts by Sophisticat
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:54 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,651 Posts
A Eagletree Guardian is a better system with 2D and 3D modes if you have the space to fit it in your plane. Price for the Guardian is about $75 shipped plus your receiver.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:51 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
A Eagletree Guardian is a better system with 2D and 3D modes if you have the space to fit it in your plane. Price for the Guardian is about $75 shipped plus your receiver.
Having never used an Eagletree Guardian myself, what makes it better?
Last edited by Mugen4Lfe; Feb 12, 2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:39 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen4Lfe View Post
Having never used an Eagletree Guardian myself, what makes it better?
It has both a 3 axis gyro that can be programmed to have heading hold or simple rate mode. In addition, it has 3 accelerometers (2 D) that will right the plane to level flight if you release the sticks. Pretty amazing. I have 6 of them and fly a 17 ounce foam delta in 25 mph winds (flag sticking straight out). Other planes are grounded and I am flying.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Feb 13, 2013 at 06:11 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:43 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,478 Posts
Another huge difference between the two - the AR635 can't be used in any ICE-powered planes. There is a big caution about using it only in electrics, and then only in 90-size and smaller electrics. In contrast, the Guardian can be used in 200 MPH turbines & giant-scale gassers.

Also, the Guardian has automatic gain-induced oscillation detection & auto gain reduction, and you can freely adjust the master gain from your tx. Both are extremely important features for fast planes with wide speed envelopes.

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Feb 13, 2013 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Typo
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:54 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Another huge difference between the two - the AS635 can't be used in any ICE-powered planes. There is a big caution about using it only in electrics, and then only in 90-size and smaller electrics. In contrast, the Guardian can be used in 200 MPH turbines & giant-scale gassers.

Also, the Guardian has automatic gain-induced oscillation detection & auto gain reduction, and you can freely adjust the master gain from your tx. Both are extremely important features for fast planes with wide speed envelopes.

Joel

Joel,

And the the list goes on and on about the features and functions of the Guardian.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2013, 06:51 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,672 Posts
So are analog servos a no-no with this receiver?
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Mar 06, 2013, 08:41 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
So are analog servos a no-no with this receiver?
It depends on whether you choose to listen to the manual, or the "experts" in this thread.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:39 PM
M16 CIII/AR15/FN 2000 and PS90
United States, AR, Waldron
Joined Jan 2005
521 Posts
90 size and 17oz planes, not to mention a 13gr rcvr I thought this was a micro forum???
Denile is offline Find More Posts by Denile
Old Mar 11, 2013, 07:03 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denile View Post
90 size and 17oz planes, not to mention a 13gr rcvr I thought this was a micro forum???
This may be a micro forum, but the product is clearly being marketed for use in planes that are way larger than micro-size. In fact, the specs say that it's intended for electrics up to 90-size. The smallest plane in which HH currently uses this rx is the Vision Aire - a 2.75-pound, 3s 2200-powered, 10-size 3D plane. It is also used in the Carbon-Z Splendor - a 5.5-pound, 6s 3200-powered, 50-size pattern ship.

Joel