HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:23 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,270 Posts
Build Log
BritPlan Wee Snifter

Hi Guys!!
Have everybody a great and happy new year.

As a rule, i have cleaned the work bench, put away all that balsa dust, and start a new plane.

This will be my first low wing RC building and flying so... letīs whats going on.

first, thinking about spaces, this plane has a tall and reduced fuselage, so put servos and lipo will be a challenge.

As my stuff is close to arrive, iīm working on rudder and elevator, and once the electric items arrives, is time to work on fuselage.

Here the photos.
colibriguitars is offline Find More Posts by colibriguitars
Last edited by colibriguitars; Jan 07, 2013 at 11:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:58 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Watching with interest CG.
What wingspan are you planning, standard 30"?
The rear fuselage on the Snifter looks fairly long, therefore, if you are using electric power I think you will need to keep it light at the back end to avoid adding weight for balance.
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:44 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,270 Posts
Thanks Sparks, yes, it will be 30", and i will try to build as light as posible. Have a happy new year!
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:50 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,541 Posts
I've posted your entry and build log link to the Build Off thread Rodrigo, watching with interest and expecting another of your super builds.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:56 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,270 Posts
Hi Guys!!
slow progress today... but thinking about where to install lipo and servos take a lot of time...
In the plan you can notice a 5 grades of down-trust, so i will work with 4 as this little motor has no much power, and iīm reducing weight on sides changing 3/32 by 1/16, and i have moved the rudder like 7 millimeters to front the get less movement area.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:24 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,541 Posts
Great progress CG! Just one thing; could you edit your post #1 and change the heading from BritKIT to BritPLAN, which is the new build off title, the Britkit ended on December 31st.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:31 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,270 Posts
Hi Guys again, i have a question. what is a good weight for a plane like this... i know nothing about wing load or the weight with relation on wing size.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:58 AM
Napa, CA
Joined May 2007
611 Posts
Try this site: http://www.modelflight.com/wing.html It will get you in the ballpark. It's what I use for figuring out wing loading weights for SAM competition flying.
By the way I got a GOOD laugh out of your "visitors" room being over crowded: The Visitors Room my wife "allows" me to have is the Garage!
tri-pacer is offline Find More Posts by tri-pacer
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:15 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,541 Posts
HI CG

Been busy today with visitors, but I will get my Wee Snifter plan out tomorrow and try to give you some idea of weights/loadings to aim for. Your weights so far look OK to me.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:27 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,270 Posts
Hi Guys!!
no much progress but is covered with doculam and ready for tissue. the cowling is done, just some mods, but with vented as diesel powered.

Yellow/green with blue accents??
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:27 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,541 Posts
Very nice CG. Your colour scheme sounds good.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:46 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,270 Posts
Hi Guys!!!
The covering is going slow, to much work to do in the guitar workshop and get tired to spend some hours stand covering.... (i know... have a sit, but i use to work stand) but some progress...
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:15 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,541 Posts
CG, like all your models it is looking immaculate. You don't have to hurry, plenty of time until the end of June. Have you flown the Tom Tit again yet? I hope the wing is now glued to the pylon!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:53 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,270 Posts
Hi George!! Thanks...
The Tomtit Wing is glued now!!! and no tested yet... just have the Sunday/monday for flying... but now iīm happy cos i changed my TX for a Futaba Skysport 6 with RATES!!! need to change my RX on tomtit (i was using a JR) but maybe this one is much better than my old Tactic.