HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by PittSpecial, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:30 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,745 Posts
Build Log
Flyzone Millennium Master TxR

Hi Gals and Guys!

Well, on Friday morning (12-28-2012) after flying early morning with two good buddies, we decided to visit one of our local hobby shops and what we found was a feeding frenzy of Flyzone RC Airplane Models flying off the shelves.

One in particular that was SUPER reduced for a limited time was the Flyzone Millennium Master Sport Foam TxR model. I paid $89.98 from the full retail of $199.99. One of my buddies bought one as well.

Summary Build and First Impressions:

1. Really did not like the motor bearing noise. As of yet, no one has had any issues with the power system except one person that posted in the Park Flyer thread who stated that his motor burned up at the first battery connection via ESC. I almost replaced the motor with a spare E-Flite 480 (1020Kv) Brushless Outrunner but, instead decided to give it a try for flight OPS.

2. The other thing that bothered me was the Motor -to- ESC wires coming too close to the Nose Wheel Steering Arm. Certainly, the Steering Arm is on the opposite side from where the motor wires feed into the FUSE but, it was just too close for my taste so, I lifted up the wires using a small black Tie Wrap. I tried removing the motor to flip it 180 degrees but, the Wood Motor Mount did not allow the motor wires to be fed through on the top so, I gave up and used the Tie Wrap method.

3. These RED wing decals are garbage. Don't miss understand me, they look great and almost like paint but, they damage easily. I am heading to the Local Hardware Store and taking my chances with Min Wax product to seal the decals and overall foam locations where one usually touches.

4. I found the Stock ESC rather large and I almost replaced it, however, after carefully looking at the Label, there was a word "SWITCH" and I am assuming that it is a Switch Mode ESC so, I finally decided to leave it in for the ride.

5. Overall score from 1 to 10, I would give it a SOLID 9 because of the design and super fast assembly thanks for a very well thought out on the Tail Feather area and most especially very good instructions. Another very good and refreshing design "is" the Tactic Receiver! To bind all you have to do is carefully insert a small screw driver to perform the BIND process for the ANY-LINK!

A few pictures:

Motor Wire Routing to avoid Nose Wheel Steering Arm:

Unsuccessful Motor Wire Routing!

STOCK Motor and ESC Weigh-In:

Stock Motor Closeup:

Other Tasks:

Wing Spars:

Wing Install:

Tactic Receiver BIND:

Going to use the APC Slow Flyer 9 X 6 and going to give my SLOW STICK the Stock 9 X 4.5 that came with this model!

mini-Build Video Review:
Flyzone Millennium Master mini-Build Review 12-30-2012 (2 min 39 sec)
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Dec 30, 2012 at 04:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:49 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,299 Posts
I unboxed my new MM today and sprayed 3 coats of Polycrylic onto all airfame parts first thing after removing them from their plastic shipping bags. I did just that to the previous one and had no issues with the decals chipping from handling or hangar rash, though the model was short-lived.

The motor from my old MM (it survived the truck abuse!) and motor #2 from my replacement model aren't nearly as noisy as your motor in the vid. So I can assure you that the motor noise coming from yours is not typical, or 'normal' I should say. It doesn't quite sound catastrophic, but I can't blame you for getting around to replacing it. Shame though, 'cause its got good power for this model. No need to swap the switch-mode ESC unless you plan to exceed 30A with your power system, IMO.

I haven't quite assembled the new one, nor experimented with different props as apparently I have began to cut flaps into the wing.

Have fun with yours!
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:33 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,745 Posts
Finishing Touches!

Gals and Guys!

I went ahead and finally finished some lose ends and tasks that needed to be finished. I did not like the Velcro Loop that was supplied and used my own (personal taste).

I adjusted the Center-Of-Gravity to exactly where the manual had indicated and like to report that while using the STOCK 1800 battery pack the model exhibited slight tail heavy but, just a tad. This is okay with me since it will provide good Aerobatic maneuvers I did provide a 2nd Velcro Loop at the Forward section to provide a better securing method for the Stock battery and a heavier battery.

A few Pictures to provide you images instead of more words!

APC Slow Flyer 9 X 6 Propeller:

Final Product & Ready for Maiden:

RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:47 PM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,691 Posts
Hey, were you flying this at RCACF this past weekend? I was flying mine late afternoon on Sat.

I find this plane a tad too lightly wing-loaded for me and had to fight through some gusts or keep the throttle on.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:57 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,745 Posts
Voxel, (Or whomever your name is):

I have flown at RCACF before and now Jose Soto and have participated in that RC Club's Electric Fun Fly events. However, I am not a permanent Club member on account that this Club is just too far for me.

This is your typical RC Park Flyer and made of Aerocel foam and you may or may not have seen my repairs on mine. The Foam is a proven technology. You crash it and get a regular hair dyer and shazam, the crushed foam cells expand and airframe goes back to its factory luster.

I saw your posting at the RC Thread Discussion and I am not going to delete your post here because I believe everyone has a right to express their opinions and experiences about this new model.

Please note, it "is" a NEW MODEL and there will be mass production issues with any new model as that of Park Zone models when they came out. More or less depending on the particular model.

I own and fly the E-Flite Hawker Hurricane 25e (another Horizon Hobby model) and as you recall they had issues with this model when it arrived at the USA Shore and HH turned all the shipment right back as I understand there were Quality Control Issues as it was a new model.

I believe if you are looking for a Sport Model with a little more handling during Gusty conditions you will need to look for a heavier model (perhaps a Glow -to- Electric Project).

Good day!
Carlos
RCG Plus Member