Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:51 PM
New Boston, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,500 Posts
Question
Mod Podge the same as Balsa-loc?

I bought some Mod Podge from my local Walmart in the craft section and have been doing some experiments with it. It is marketed as a waterbase sealer, glue, and finish. I have used Balsa-loc in the past and the Mod Podge looks exactly like it. It is a white creamy liquid.

I have used it so far as an adhesive to iron down polyspan and also in a thinned amount to seal the polyspan. Brushed on my project straight from the bottle it makes a very good iron on adhesive. I like it much better than Balsarite or Sig Stix-it. Cleans up with water.

I tried to seal my polyspan with a thinned with water mixture. Thinned to a thin cream and brushed on fairly thick, it dries level and only seems to need two applications to fill and seal the weave. Can then polish the surface with 000 fine steel wool for an ultra smooth finish. If you polish too much then add another coat and do it again.

I have not reached the point of actually painting the polyspan but looks really promising.

I always like to try to find materials that I can work with and replenish locally and so far am really impressed with this product. Could this actually just be Balsaloc in a different label or application?

Thanks
Jim
JIMA is offline Find More Posts by JIMA
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:11 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,689 Posts
Jim - I bought a bottle recently but havent used it yet. It certainly seems similar. If it melts and resets after heating I'd say it would do the same job and is MUCH cheaper....I must try it. I agree, I find stixit very messy to use but it seems the norm with heavier materials like Koverall. Better when thinned I'm told.
Pat
Pat Lynch is offline Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:17 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,365 Posts
Yep, it works! Skeptical me tried it and it worked. Doesn't grip as tight as balsaloc, but it would allow for easier recovering if and when you have to.
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:40 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,737 Posts
Not having used Balsa-Loc I can't say if it is the same. What I can say is that Mod Podge does an excellent job acting as a heat activated adhesive for applying covering. I have use it with Polyspan by applying the Mod Podge directly to the airframe and attaching the Polyspan with a sealing iron. I have also used it with LiteSpan/CoverLite by thinning the Mod Podge 50% with water and then applying the thinned Mod Podge directly to the LiteSpan with a sponge brush. I then used a trim iron to apply the LiteSpan to the airframe like any other film cover. Coating the LiteSpan with Mod Podge is a whole lot easier and faster than applying the Mod Podge to the airframe.

Larry
Lnagel is online now Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:01 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,885 Posts
Dunno about Modge Podge.
However ubiquitous White Glue, IMO, is the same stuff as Balsaloc in a different and far less exotic container..
Apply it, let it dry, then use an iron and a wee bit of pressure to reactivate it.
Furniture makers have been using it for decades to apply Veneers.. happily.
Bare is online now Find More Posts by Bare
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:13 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,482 Posts
According to MSDS, Mod Podge is vinyl acetate. Can't find an MSDS for Balsa Loc.

Tony
tpfing is online now Find More Posts by tpfing
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:53 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,570 Posts
FYI, for those who use balsaloc, modge podge, or elmers for applying coverings. Make sure you paint/seal/spray it with a waterproof paint/sealer. Or, make sure rain does not get to your plane.

I use a light coat of clear from a spray bomb on the airplanes I cover with Coverlite and balsaloc/modge podge. Just enough to protect the covering seams and the acrylic craft paint that I finish with.

Charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:51 PM
Joined Jan 2003
2,500 Posts
Looks as if I am not the only one to give this medium a try. Are there any others? Show your pics planes where the Mod Podge was used. Thanks for the input.

Jim
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:53 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,086 Posts
We need Fuzz to weigh on on this. He has used it for years on everything from tissue covering to putting in on his breakfast cereal. Fuzz knows Mod Podge!

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:03 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMA View Post
Show your pics planes where the Mod Podge was used. Thanks for the input.

Jim
This is my Sopwith Tabloid that I used Mod Podge to attach both Polyspan and CoverLite. I explain it all in the build thread here.

Larry
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:10 AM
Mayday!
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Sep 2005
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Looks as if I am not the only one to give this medium a try. Are there any others? Show your pics planes where the Mod Podge was used. Thanks for the input.

Jim
I've used Mod Podge and Sig Koverall on 3 builds so far. I love it.

Tim
Newtron is offline Find More Posts by Newtron
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:11 PM
Joined Sep 2008
673 Posts
I always thought Mod Podge was basically the same thing as white Elmer's glue.
aurorae is offline Find More Posts by aurorae
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:39 AM
Joined Jan 2003
2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnagel View Post
This is my Sopwith Tabloid that I used Mod Podge to attach both Polyspan and CoverLite. I explain it all in the build thread here.

Larry
Good explanation Larry. I have found that the Mod Podge comes in Gloss and Matte. The bottle I am using is the Matte. I wonder what the difference is?

Jim
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:41 AM
Joined Jan 2003
2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post
I've used Mod Podge and Sig Koverall on 3 builds so far. I love it.

Tim
I have used Koverall and Stix-it in the past and sealed with Minwax acrylic. But the Minwax left brush strokes. I have been sealing my current project with the Mod Podge and it seems to seal well in 3 coats without any brush strokes. Has anyone ever used it to seal the weave of their covering?

Jim
Old Jan 01, 2013, 12:06 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,737 Posts
Quote:
I have found that the Mod Podge comes in Gloss and Matte. The bottle I am using is the Matte. I wonder what the difference is?

Jim
The matte diffuses reflected light so that whatever the Mod Podge is covering does not appear shiney. The gloss reflects the light at the same angle as the incoming rays so the object the the Mod Podge is covering appears shiney.

As far as the difference in sealing and adhesive effectiveness is concerned, I don't know. The Sopwith Tabloid is my first experience with Mod Podge and I used glossy on it.

Larry