HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:16 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,006 Posts
Build Log
Rubberdub - Britplan Build Off 2013 - FLYING PHOTOS ADDED

Two days to go to the off, so I'll take time off from trying to finish my Britkit Tarquin to start this build log.

I'm repeating a model I built under strange circumstances 20 years ago - the APS "Rubberdub". The first one, shown below, was built in Germany to fend off boredom during the long hours spent installing and commissioning a computer system in an associate company of the UK firm for which I worked. The location was a particularly God-forsaken part of the country and there were hours and hours when there was nothing to do except watch stuff loading, so what better to do than build a model? This one was free-flight rubber powered, the new one will be RET electric R/C. It is a pretty little model, and judging by the way the F/F one flew, should be a great performer. The free full size plan was one side of a Christmas "double" with Eric Fearnley's Cessna Bird Dog on the reverse. The paper of these give-away plans was none too sturdy, my plan is just about hanging together, so the first job will be to tape it up and trace all the parts.

I've become quite addicted to rubber-electric R/C conversions, they always seem to fly well, so I'm looking forward to this one.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
Last edited by Sundancer; Jun 25, 2013 at 04:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:45 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,605 Posts
subscribed! Roll on 2013
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:42 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,718 Posts
Pssttt... George, shouldn't it be "Rubberdub"?
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:18 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
Pssttt... George, shouldn't it be "Rubberdub"?
Quite right Brian - with apologies to Mr Lewis. Duly amended.

Now....whatever happened to that Slicker?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:39 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
Now....whatever happened to that Slicker?
George, the Slicker flying surfaces are now built, and I shall finish it, but perhaps not by tomorrow evening (Sorry!)
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:26 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
George, the Slicker flying surfaces are now built, and I shall finish it, but perhaps not by tomorrow evening (Sorry!)
Not to worry Brian, I have missed the end date with my Tarquin too - but do carry on your build log so we can all see how it turns out!
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:37 AM
Agricultural flyer
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
I'll be watching!
mixer421 is offline Find More Posts by mixer421
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:39 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer421 View Post
I'll be watching!
That's all I've been doing so far Mixer, being tied up with finishing the Tarquin plus it being too damn cold in the workshop for sustained activity. However, I have been doing some thinking about how to overcome the problems which conversion to electric R/C are going to pose. The major one concerns the tailplane. I love the original sliced rib structure and lifting section and really want to keep that, and the shape. However, this would mean that the elevators would be HUGE, so I think I am going to use the same system that my old Jader 60 used (see below), an all moving tailplane with a little fixed centre section and plug-in halves. Pivot point will be fairly far forward with 15 - 20% of the total area in front of it, with a crank with the vertical leg twice as long as the horizontal one. The tailplane halves would have the original structure with just a little extra to integrate the tubes.

I want this one to be as light as possible, original was 3 ounces but I won't do that, somewhere between 4 and 5 is probably realistic, as I want it to be a really s-l-o-w flyer for use in the garden on calm evenings.

Hopefully I'll be making a start this coming week.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:17 AM
Joined May 2009
604 Posts
That, is art George! What a beautifully shaped posterior end!! I have no idea what the rest will look like, but I'm hooked now.
cd_webb is offline Find More Posts by cd_webb
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:19 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,006 Posts
Whoa there CD, that isn't the back end of the Rubberdub! It is the tail end of my old Jader 60 R/C nordic A/2 conversion from years ago. I was just using it to illustrate the way I am going to tackle the AMT on the Rubberdub - see post #1 for what the whole model looks like.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:32 PM
Joined May 2009
604 Posts
Nothing like making yourself look stupid to the whole world to keep you humble. Still an elegant, well formed "back end" though!
cd_webb is offline Find More Posts by cd_webb
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:16 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,006 Posts
Having got the Tarquin out of my system and by way of celebrating it's successful first flight I finally got started on the Rubberdub today, both fuselage sides are on the plan to dry overnight. After some thought I decided to go with 1/8" square for the basic fuselage structure in lieu of the 3/32" of the original, I want this to be a light model, but don't want it to be a fragile one!

I've sorted out how I am going to do the all moving tailplane and drawn up the plan for it. The pivot and drive rods are going to be 1.5 mm carbon fibre running in ali tubes for lightness, and the rudder is going to be closed loop.

Other changes are being kept to a minimum; the wire "cabane" for the parasol wing mount will plug into ali tubes rather than be bound to the structure, as will the two part undercarriage, all in aid of ease of covering. I remember that it was a pain covering round the wing mounts and u/c on the last one I built. The fuselage sides have been shortened by an inch at the nose and will end in a 1/16" ply firewall to mount the motor, which will then be cowled with a hollowed "nose block" to give the same shape as the original.

Some photos when there is a bit more structure.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:48 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,006 Posts
Finally some bits to photograph

It is still too damn cold for long sessions in the workshop, but I have at least managed to produce some bits. The redesign of the tailplane centre section to make an AMT was a bit tricky, but I think I have got it right after a couple of false starts. Actually this centre section will finish up as two pieces, as there needs to be a slot in it to allow movement of the drive rod, which slot will also have to extend upwards into the fin and downwards into the fuselage to allow enough movement, hence the rear fuselage will need some sheet reinforcement under the tailplane mount area as I shall be cutting through the top longeron. Other than the centre section and the supports for the pivot and drive tubes the rest of the tailplane is entirely as per plan with "sliced" ribs (1/16" x 1/8" on the bottom, 1/32" x 1/8" on the top), although I have used a piece of 1mm x 3/16" lime instead of 1/16" x 3/16" balsa for the spar.

The drive and pivot tubse have been installed with a short piece of joiner in place to ensure that they line up. Next job will be to saw through the LE, pivot tube and spar, then cap the ends of the centre section and tailplane halves with 1/64" ply.

The fuselage sides are nice and straight, hopefully formers will be built tomorrow (although there may be a delay as we are going out to lunch with friends at our favourite bistrot which serves the best steak in the Limousin, and lunches here tend to last several hoursand involve a certain amount of wine consumption!) so that I can get on with joining the fuselage, although I have yet to work out exactly how I am going to do the hatches.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:42 PM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Man
Joined Jul 2012
279 Posts
Nice start George, looking forward to more as promised when I return from away. KBO
Sky Jiver is offline Find More Posts by Sky Jiver
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:07 PM
Stockport, UK
Joined Sep 2001
458 Posts
And he's out of the blocks and off!

So where do you get these exotic materials like Lime from then? I've only ever seen spruce and obeche in modelling sizes.

Cheers
Ian
Ian Dale is offline Find More Posts by Ian Dale