HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:37 PM
Registered User
striker911's Avatar
United States, AR, Mountain Home
Joined Dec 2012
5 Posts
Discussion
Thinking About It. First Post.

Its been about 6 years since I had my hands on an RC other then moving them around the country a few times. I have a few things but my baby is the 9 year old Losi XXXs. It had a 9turn double and it was fast but the last time I tried to run it the system had a short someplace. All I remember was that it was kicking butt and would cut in and out accompanied by a spark from under the body.

So I put it up and she just sat for 6 years. I think I might get back into it.
In my "hay day" I had a Mayhem buggy and a Tmax 2.5 but the XXXS was bought as a kit and I spent 3 months of my spare time building it. That's why I kept it. But now I live on a gravel road so I think I need to get back in to nitro.

Have electric motors made Nitro obsolete? I would have to drive 2.5 hours for fuel or get it by mail. Just not sure whats my best bet and how today's market is. Thanks.
striker911 is offline Find More Posts by striker911
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:11 AM
nick 30
nick30head's Avatar
Joined May 2009
2,788 Posts
with todays brushless motors and lithium polymer ( lipo for short) batteries, they are/can be better than fuel engines, only draw back with electric models is the runtime but the big advantage with electric models over fuel engine is low/zero maintenence

nick
nick30head is offline Find More Posts by nick30head
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:17 AM
Kowalski !.....Options
mredzadventure's Avatar
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,308 Posts
I think Nitro will always have a place. Yes the new electric motors and ESC's are great. Electric is cleaner and convenient. It still takes time to charge a battery and electric motors don't have that wonderful engine sound. There is still something about that little engine doing its thing that will always be appealing.

If your out in the sticks Electric might be the way to go or when you need to go to the hobby shop buy a case of fuel make it worth the gas money to get there. It might be cheaper then shipping it.
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:23 AM
Registered User
striker911's Avatar
United States, AR, Mountain Home
Joined Dec 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick30head View Post
with todays brushless motors and lithium polymer ( lipo for short) batteries, they are/can be better than fuel engines, only draw back with electric models is the runtime but the big advantage with electric models over fuel engine is low/zero maintenence

nick
Aw ya. The brushless was just coming out when I got out of the hobby. Looks like they came down some in price. Will probably want to swap all that out on the XXXS. Thanks for the input. It helps to have a plan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mredzadventure View Post
I think Nitro will always have a place. Yes the new electric motors and ESC's are great. Electric is cleaner and convenient. It still takes time to charge a battery and electric motors don't have that wonderful engine sound. There is still something about that little engine doing its thing that will always be appealing.

If your out in the sticks Electric might be the way to go or when you need to go to the hobby shop buy a case of fuel make it worth the gas money to get there. It might be cheaper then shipping it.
Thanks for the input. Think I need something Nitro for off roading. Something like a truggy or buggy should do. Anything you would recommend that wont break the bank? I know Traxxas but they always seemed high end. Anything else I can look at?
striker911 is offline Find More Posts by striker911
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:04 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
mredzadventure's Avatar
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,308 Posts
Well if your two and a half hours from a hobby shop you will want something good. I like to recommend what I have I have Traxxas and HPI I have had luck with them all. If you had Losi In the past there still just as good.I have an older Drake edition truck and I love it. I will always love Associated. Save up your pennies and go for quality. If your in the country you will have to rely on the mail man to get parts. You could go for used but there is always a risk especially with nitro. Kyosho makes some nice truggies as well they all are making them now but that Losi is a pretty sweet one.
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:35 PM
Registered User
striker911's Avatar
United States, AR, Mountain Home
Joined Dec 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mredzadventure View Post
Well if your two and a half hours from a hobby shop you will want something good. I like to recommend what I have I have Traxxas and HPI I have had luck with them all. If you had Losi In the past there still just as good.I have an older Drake edition truck and I love it. I will always love Associated. Save up your pennies and go for quality. If your in the country you will have to rely on the mail man to get parts. You could go for used but there is always a risk especially with nitro. Kyosho makes some nice truggies as well they all are making them now but that Losi is a pretty sweet one.
Looking them all up now.
Starting with Losi. I like the price of this one but then I seen the radios they have for the higher end buggy's. Cant by that radio set up by itself from what I see on the site and im not sure if its worth the extra coin or not. Its not a small step up in price. Its big league I got more money then I know to do with stuff IMO. Would still be nice to have though. http://losi.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOSB0021
When thinking about stepping up I am unsure about how many updates that $700 buggy has had since the video I found was from 2009. Seems like even more money knowing its not a brand new design.
striker911 is offline Find More Posts by striker911
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:29 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
mredzadventure's Avatar
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,308 Posts
That is a good price you should be able to bind that Spektrum RX to one of their higher end transmitters when you want to. I have an older Futaba 3PJS that has been upgraded to 2.4GHZ. It works good for me. Your going to be bashing no sense getting a full blown race radio. The Losi is a solid chassis.The others are more for racing unless you plan on heading out to the track the 810 looks like a good buggy.

Here is one to look at.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...z-Radio-System
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:10 AM
Airplane Gearhead
Central N.Y.
Joined Jan 2005
1,126 Posts
I've been looking at this...Nexx 8T
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBWUW&P=7

Had good luck with my Jammin X1-CR's...and Hyper 7...I like the Hong Nor stuff...and Ho Bao...
Here's an RCU thread w/ some more pics...
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11346688/tm.htm
proptop is offline Find More Posts by proptop
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:48 AM
Registered User
wparsons's Avatar
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,757 Posts
If you're a 2.5 hour drive to get fuel, I would definitely get an electric vehicle. Brushless/Lipo is faster offroad as well, you just don't get the smell and noise of a nitro vehicle.

If you're looking at 1/8th scale buggies I would also look at this:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-buggy-ECX0800

Huge value for the money, and just needs battery packs and a charger to run.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:22 AM
chopper chopper chopper!!!
Lozki's Avatar
United States, CA, Shasta Lake
Joined Sep 2012
152 Posts
wparsons.. that ECX buggy is sooooo nice been looking at it
Lozki is offline Find More Posts by Lozki
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Helis
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:24 AM
nick 30
nick30head's Avatar
Joined May 2009
2,788 Posts
thats a nice buggy, i may have to get one
nick30head is offline Find More Posts by nick30head
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:43 AM
Outdoor Extremist
rustlererad3's Avatar
Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2010
1,006 Posts
the revenge type e is a sweet buggy for not a lot of money i highly recommend it
rustlererad3 is offline Find More Posts by rustlererad3
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Thinking about building my own frame. What do I need to worry about? (pics inside) metap0Pe Multirotor Talk 10 Oct 20, 2012 10:31 PM
Discussion Thinking about building my first kit Airforce430 Beginner Training Area (Fuel) 15 Sep 28, 2012 11:09 AM
Discussion Thinking about my first loop, roll and inverted flight Jimbo45cn Electric Heli Talk 19 Dec 24, 2007 11:22 AM
Discussion Thinking about building my first RC helicopter DerekPB Micro Helis 3 Jan 08, 2007 10:04 PM
Thinking about my first acrobatic move:) cat5 Micro Helis 2 Oct 27, 2005 01:55 PM