HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by jjmelo, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:21 PM
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Aug 2012
374 Posts
Discussion
The Challenge

I picked up a $7 EPO foam (beer cooler stuff) glider from the RC shop. The challenge: adding a motor and RC equipment and making it fly. I have servos lying around, couple motors and a receiver.

I'm sure its been done before, not sure to what degree of success. I'm gonna give it a shot!
jjmelo is online now Find More Posts by jjmelo
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:25 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,046 Posts
Its actually quite easy! I did it once for the hell of it but when you are used to overpowering a purpose built plane the glider didnt last long
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Well Traveled Glue
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:58 PM
100mph club member
NW O-town
Joined Jun 2005
1,652 Posts
Here was my twin motor attempt. My suggestion... reinforce it well with carbon fiber or it'll break in half. I didn't and paid the price on the maiden. I have a picture somewhere of the wings making a U shape right before snapping, lol.

turbodriven is offline Find More Posts by turbodriven
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:11 PM
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Aug 2012
374 Posts
Nice!

Thanks for the tips. I like to twin motor one. I plan on reinforcing it a bit and adding dihedral to see if I can get away with just elevator + rudder. We'll see.
jjmelo is online now Find More Posts by jjmelo
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:55 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,372 Posts
I bought that same plane (well, two of them) several years ago. Ended up clipping one down to about a 34" span, shortening the nose by a lot, and adding a fairly powerful brushless setup. It flew excellent until I treed it on the maiden.

Dunno what happened to the second one
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀