SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:57 PM
Experienced Balsa Mangler
United States, AL, Tillmans Corner
Joined Oct 2012
687 Posts
Day 31 -- Progress Report (Page 2)

Photos 1-3 show the fuselage after the stringers were added.

Photo 4 shows the wing after the gussets were added.

Had to add a strip across the top of the center stringer to smooth out the shape. I'll round this off a bit with sanding to finish the curve. I smell nitrate dope in the distance...
cpmcgraw is offline Find More Posts by cpmcgraw
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:36 PM
Joined Oct 2012
687 Posts
Day 31 -- Progress Report (page 3)

Beauty shot time...
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:09 PM
Joined Oct 2012
687 Posts
Day 31 -- Possible Color Scheme

Here's a quick-n-dirty Inkscape of what I'm thinking about for the finish. It has sort-of a Beechcraft look to it...
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:22 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,902 Posts
Yep, you've definitely got an aeroplane now cp. I like the colour idea, suits the shape well.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:07 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmcgraw View Post
Mundane items, but necessary...
And the myriad of little jobs that give truth to the phrase '90% completed, 90% still to do...!"
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:20 PM
Joined Oct 2012
687 Posts
Hey Sundancer,

When you're installing your plug-in LG, do you use only brass tubing, or have you used any CF tubing? Any thoughts on which is better/easier/more durable?
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:13 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,902 Posts
I use either aluminium or plastic tube cp, but fit ply gussets at the ends and box in the rest of the tubes with hard balsa or ply with a ply cap at the back usually. Hope the photos below show what I mean.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:59 PM
Joined Oct 2012
687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
I use either aluminium or plastic tube cp, but fit ply gussets at the ends and box in the rest of the tubes with hard balsa or ply with a ply cap at the back usually. Hope the photos below show what I mean.
Yes, thanks!

I didn't think about plastic tubing, or aluminum, for some reason. And I have some plastic in the shop, just not the right size. Typical problem...
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:36 PM
Joined Oct 2012
687 Posts
Day 32 -- Mundane Issues

A couple of things that had been sitting on the back burner while I worked on the fuselage were the rudder and stabilizer. I wanted to give the movable portion some dimensional stability, so I added a cross-grain strip at the top and bottom. See Photo 1.

The stabilizer needed to be finished up with the ribs being added to the elevator, and having the airfoil shape sanded into it. I'm building the unit as one piece to keep things aligned, then I'll cut it apart when I start to add the hinges. See Photo 2.

What I'm planning is to use a couple of pieces of CF tubing, one inside the other, as the central connector between the two halves. I don't think there should be too much pressure in flight against the CF-to-balsa joint on a model this small, and I do plan to use epoxy to make the bond. A single horn on either the right or left half should be sufficient to transfer servo motion.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:54 PM
Joined Oct 2012
687 Posts
Sundancer,

I noticed in those LG photos you don't appear to be using any kind of "positive retention" to keep them in place. Am I missing something, or is this just not that big a problem?
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:55 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,902 Posts
Hi Craig

My reasons for starting to use this "two leg plug-in" wire undercarriage were\\\\;

- makes covering the fuselage so much easier if the undercarriage can be fitted after covering
- much easier to bend two identical halves then one whole undercart
- using a two leg set-up with the main leg at the back, you can go down one wire size for the main leg, again easier to work with. However, note that the first three models, Tomboy, Bantam and Tom Tit had the main leg at the front, all the others from the Zephyr onwards have it at the back and this is definitely the right way round. On the original three a - ahem - "heavy landing" tends to bend the thinner rear leg, easily straightened, but doing it the other way round avoids this and is more satisfactory.

I have used this on seven models now, and only on the first, the Tomboy, is the undercarriage detachable - this was because this model has two alternative undercarriages, one wheels, one floats, so on this one little hooks are soldered to the top of the legs. The photo below shows how the u/c is retained by the same rubber band which holds the battery hatch on. On all the other models the undercarriage is simply plugged in when the model is finished and fixed with a dab of cyano at the outer end of each leg as they are finally pushed in. In practice, if you absolutely HAVE to remove it subsequently for some reason a dab of CA solvent on each wire and gentle "working" will do the trick, but they have all proved to be perfectly solid in operation
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:42 AM
Joined Oct 2012
687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer
"... fixed with a dab of cyano at the outer end of each leg as they are finally pushed in..."
Aha! So, there is a bit of "positive retention", it's just not a mechanical feature. OK, now I understand. I figured there had to be some method of keeping Mr. Murphy at bay...

I'll be gathering the parts for the LG this week...

Thanks!
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:29 PM
Joined Oct 2012
687 Posts
Day 35 -- Progress Report

Got the shaft reversed on my motor, so mounting it will be easier than I thought it would be. All it needed was a $20 bench vice and a constant pressure. I felt the tension "break" of the shaft, and it slid smoothly the rest of the way. Thanks, Harbor Freight...

Had been thinking of CF pushrods, but decided they were too over priced. Picked up a set of DuBro Micro Pushrods instead. Also picked up some micro horns.

Bought a pack of Robart 1/2A Hinge Points for the elevator. The way the elevator pivots, I needed a set-back hinge line.

Picked up an aluminum tube and some music wire for the LG. That will probably be the next item to work up, so I can get the last formers mounted.

More to come...
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:12 AM
Joined Oct 2012
687 Posts
Day 36 -- Progress Report

F2 is finally glued into the fuselage. Using Sundancer's idea of a plug-in LG, I epoxied an aluminum tube into a piece of 1/4" x 1/2" spruce that I hollowed a slot out of, then I epoxied that to the front of F2. This was allowed to cook overnight under clamp pressure. This morning, I punched out the holes in the fuselage sides to accept the tubes, and glued the former in with Titebond II.

Photo 1 shows the action...
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:29 PM
Joined Oct 2012
687 Posts
Day 36 -- Progress Report

Finally, F1 has been installed. The LG carrier block was epoxied to the back side of F1 before attaching to the airframe. Next pieces should be the wing plates. I think I'll go with 1/16" plywood here, just removing about 40% of the total area to allow for some top-down access of the radio.

Photo 1 shows the action on the field...