HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:17 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,605 Posts
Before spending the money, I would take it apart and have a look at the brushes, bearings etc. If all you need is a little cleaning an lube, then the cost is a little time. If it's beyond redemption, toss it in the skip and go spend, satisfied that you really need to.
sparks
sparks59 is online now Find More Posts by sparks59
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:32 PM
Experienced Balsa Mangler
United States, AL, Tillmans Corner
Joined Oct 2012
715 Posts
Day 28 -- Progress Report

Saturday was a busy day. I decided to "bite the bullet" and make an investment in a couple of new tools for the shop. As previously mentioned, my old Sears scroll saw took a dive just as I was starting to cut one of my formers. Knowing I would need a scroll saw for making these intricate cuts, I figured I might be better off looking at some quality tools instead of cheap knock-offs...

Picked up a Porter-Cable 16" variable speed scroll saw with tool stand, and a Porter-Cable 4" belt/disk combo sanding station at the local Lowe's. In the immortal words of Droopy, "I'm Happy"...

Today, I actually got F4 cut out and positioned into the airframe. All it took was a little sanding around the edges, and some opening up of the stringer notches, to have a fully usable part. The part is still a bit rough, but not terrible; I fully intend to use it.

Hopefully, I will have F0 through F3 cut out and fitted by tomorrow.

Photo 1 shows the part I made. My first use of a scroll saw in nearly 15 years...
cpmcgraw is offline Find More Posts by cpmcgraw
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:26 PM
Joined Oct 2012
715 Posts
Day 28 -- Progress Report, Cont.

Now, F3 is ready. The inside openings were a bit easier this time. I guess I'm getting the hang of it again.

FWIW, I remove the notches by cutting along the outsides of the lines to their correct depth, then I move the piece back and forth against the blade to "nibble" the material out, instead of trying to do a rotation of the piece. Comes out cleaner...

Photo 1 shows the new part alongside its sibling...
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:43 PM
Joined Oct 2012
715 Posts
Day 28 - Progress Report, Cont.

Although I still need F0, and need to clean out the openings in F1 and F2, here's a couple of shots of the airframe looking like an airframe once more.

I like the stiffness the 1/16" plywood offered, and it will give me a bit more structural support for the wing mount.

Photo 1 -- F1 through F4 dry-fit.

Photo 2 -- The wing, where it belongs!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:36 PM
Joined Oct 2012
715 Posts
Day 29 -- Formers, Cont.

Formers F1 and F2 are now ready for the airframe. They may not be the prettiest cuts, but they're aligned...

Photo 1 shows the results...
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:59 PM
Joined Oct 2012
715 Posts
Day 29 -- Progress Report

Let there be Glue!

The build now continues. Photos 1 and 2 show the F4 part now being glued onto the starboard side frame. Thankfully, all four of these have the same width, so positioning them at a true 90-degree angle to the sides is easy.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:48 PM
Joined Oct 2012
715 Posts
Day 29 -- Progress Report (Page 2)

More glue...

F3 has now been glued into position. Once this former is secure, I can attach the port side of the frame and bring the rear edges together. Cross-braces next, followed by the turtledeck formers and stringers.

Progress!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:23 PM
Joined Oct 2012
715 Posts
Day 29 -- Progress Report (Page 3)

Milestone moment...

The tail has been joined together and glued. Both sides appear to be equally curved and the top edges level. Photo 1 shows the tail joint (I made sure you could see the glue!), and Photo 2 shows the airframe to this point.

I'm having fun again!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:08 PM
Joined Oct 2012
715 Posts
Day 29 -- Progress Report (Page 4)

Photo 1 shows the bottom cross-braces are now glued in place.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:01 AM
Joined Oct 2012
715 Posts
Day 30 -- Progress Report

Photo 1 shows the upper cross-bracing is now in place, closing the box. The turtledeck formers come next, then the stringers.

F1 and F2 go in later, as these need to have the LG mounts attached before they're installed in the frame.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:08 PM
Joined Oct 2012
715 Posts
Day 30 -- Progress Report (Page 2)

Photo 1 shows the turtledeck formers glued in place. The only thing holding them upright is the glue itself, but it's Titebond II, and it has plenty of "grab" for this. I used a double-glue joint for this...
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:48 PM
Joined Oct 2012
715 Posts
Day 30 -- Progress Report (Page 3)

The turtledeck is taking shape. I have the top stringer in place. The formers will have to be sanded down slightly in places to let the remaining stringers fit without bulges.

My initial cuts for the top stringer were a little less than accurate, so I'm having to wedge some 1/16" shims to fill up the gaps. These get trimmed once the glue has dried.

Photo 1 shows the top stringer in place, and the glue still wet.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:54 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,003 Posts
Looks like you are getting pretty close to having an aeroplane there Craig.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:30 PM
Joined Oct 2012
715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer
Looks like you are getting pretty close to having an aeroplane there Craig.
It felt like it was a long time coming, though, until I got those formers worked out. I still have F0 to cut, need to pick up some 1/8" AC ply at the LHS for that. Also still trying to determine the best motor mounting arrangement for keeping that nose profile close to the original. Everything forward of F2 is still in a state of flux. I might even consider one of Turnigy's metal (extension) mounts and eliminate F0 entirely...

We'll see...
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:43 PM
Joined Oct 2012
715 Posts
Day 31 -- Progress Report

Putting the stringers to the turtledeck; working out how to run the pushrods to the rudder...

Adding gussets to the locations that required them...

Finishing up some back-burner items on the elevator, like the rib sections in the moving portion...

Mundane items, but necessary...