HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:27 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,938 Posts
Discussion
HobbyWing Skywalker 40A UBEC ESC

I've been looking for a small 35 to 40A ESC with a soft start, for some time. The criteria was that it must fit in the frame of a 450 Pro and have a switching BEC of at least 3A. The blue series 40A fitted most of the bill but had no soft start and the Align 35A ESC does not have a switching BEC, even though they work quite well, especially with a protection capacitor. The Align one is also quite expensive.

After some searching I found this HobbyWing Skywalker ESC. The 40A one comes in two varieties, with and without a switching BEC, and the one with the switching BEC is also rated to 4S. The size is the same as the Align 35A ESC, 68x25x12mm and I assume the weight would be similar (I forgot to weigh my one before installing it).

I purchased my one from Hobby Dream for $14.05:
http://www.hobbydream.com/skywalker-...ec_p15473.html

Quite a few online stores have it and it is also available on eBay. Just make sure it's the UBEC version, which is only a couple of dollars dearer.

I fitted 3mm motor terminals and an XT60 for the battery connector. I also added an extra wire from the +ve battery lead for my Rx power and telemetry. All of the leads use very fine stranded wire and have silicone insulation. The leads are all pre tinned.

The BEC voltage was 5.3 volts, with no load, and the BEC is rated at 3 amps. There is no option to change the voltage.

Programming is quite straight forward, but you can feel yourself being rushed to start with, but once you realize that the option selection and the option choice keep repeating you can relax and make sure you get things right. I chose:

Brake: Off
Battery Type: Lipo
Cutoff mode: Soft-Cut
Cutoff threshold: Low
Start mode: Super soft
Timing: Low

The super soft start works well, but could be a couple of seconds longer. It spins the motor up in 3 seconds, starting off very softly and then ramps up quite fast. On concrete I had to use a bit of rudder near the end of the ramp up to keep the tail from moving, but at least there is little chance of doing damage if you go straight from hold to near full throttle.

One thing I found out was that the maximum throttle is not set by just going into program mode. You must do this by connecting the battery (Tx on and at full throttle), and as soon as you hear the first two beeps, drop the throttle to minimum.

Mounting the ESC in a 450 Pro only requires one cable tie, and using the method I used, still allows space for the battery strap, and air to move around the heat sink. Having the battery lead coming out the top keeps the battery leads tidy.

So all up, for the money, this is a very good ESC for your 450, especially the 450 Pro.

More pictures attached.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Last edited by beenflying; Dec 29, 2012 at 07:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:24 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,833 Posts
Good to see an economical ESC that fits between the Pro frames.

Looks like you have some of that HK blue velcro too! I have enough to last for a decade or so.....
2Doggs is online now Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:42 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
...Looks like you have some of that HK blue velcro too! I have enough to last for a decade or so.....
Yeah, it's great value, sticks well and lasts for ages.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:24 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,369 Posts
Excellent review BF...Lately I have been quite partial to the Turnigy AE-45 ESC for my 450 Pro. Just ordered another one for the 450 with the G31 gyro. It has a selectable voltage output SBEC (6V or 5V with 3 amp output), governor mode, and very soft start. Ramps to max in about 5 secs with an LED to indicate full power.
ridge_racer is online now Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:02 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,938 Posts
The AE-45 looks like a good ESC, but does it fit in the frame of a 450 pro?
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:48 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,369 Posts
I can't get it to fit flat up against the bottom of the battery tray. I can fit it sideways inside the compartment wedged at an angle...The AE-45 is shaped more like a square vs rectangular.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 01:42 PM
Israel, Gan Yoshiya
Joined Aug 2013
8 Posts
Does anyone know if this esc works
With dji naza lite?
bergereyal is offline Find More Posts by bergereyal
Old Mar 08, 2014, 01:37 PM
Joined Oct 2013
31 Posts
I installed this ESC on my Walkera V450D03 which is much more better than the stock ESC as it will not heat up after 6 minutes flight. However, when I switch to "Stunt Mode 1" (idle up) there is no changes in the motor speed.

I did not use any programming card - I set as it is on factory default settings..

Can anyone enlighten me? Trust that I missed some settings.. Thanks in advance!
snerism is offline Find More Posts by snerism
Old Mar 08, 2014, 07:18 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snerism View Post
I installed this ESC on my Walkera V450D03 which is much more better than the stock ESC as it will not heat up after 6 minutes flight. However, when I switch to "Stunt Mode 1" (idle up) there is no changes in the motor speed.

I did not use any programming card - I set as it is on factory default settings..

Can anyone enlighten me? Trust that I missed some settings.. Thanks in advance!
Do you have higher values set in the idle up throttle curve vs normal?
Old Mar 09, 2014, 11:44 AM
Joined Oct 2013
31 Posts
Hi ridge,

Thank you for your reply - Yes, I did set higher values in my Devo 7 TX, see the below settings.

Throttle Curve
Normal Flight
L= 0%
M= 50%
H= 100%
Stunt 1
L= 100%
M= 75%
H= 100%
Stunt 2
L= 100%
M= 75%
H= 100%
-------------------
Pitch Curve
Normal Flight
L= 0%
M= + 25%
H= + 55%
Stunt 1
L= - 55%
M= 0%
H= + 55%
Stunt 2
L= - 55%
M= 0%
H= + 55%

No joy for me though I really like this ESC as it will not easily get hot when flying my heli. It really confuse me because when I install back the Walkera stock ESC - stunt mode toggle switch is working very well. But, when I use HobbyWing Skywalker 40A stunt mode will not function at all.

Warm regards,

Sner Skeptron
Old Mar 12, 2014, 07:16 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,369 Posts
Did you perform the initial calibration of the throttle to the throttle stick?
Old Mar 14, 2014, 01:23 PM
Joined Oct 2013
31 Posts
Problem solved! - I used the programming card which I purchased together with the ESC it seems the factory default did not do the job for stunt mode.

Thank you for your kind assistance ridge.

Happy Flying!
Old Sep 27, 2014, 04:53 PM
(pr zedsumo)
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Jun 2013
9 Posts
The Hobbywing ESC programming card looks identical to the HobbyKing ESC programming card - anyone found it to be or not be so ? I have two of these ESCs and the HK card ... haven't flown with it yet.
zsumo is offline Find More Posts by zsumo
Old Oct 07, 2014, 04:35 AM
Dave
The Netherlands, NB, Breda
Joined Aug 2013
189 Posts
Just saw this thread, I have 2 on 450's but it gets a) hot and b)soft start ??. I have the Original program card but I am going to exchange it for the YEP 40A.
dcb103 is offline Find More Posts by dcb103
Old Oct 07, 2014, 08:48 PM
John Hendry
Joined Oct 2013
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsumo View Post
The Hobbywing ESC programming card looks identical to the HobbyKing ESC programming card - anyone found it to be or not be so ? I have two of these ESCs and the HK card ... haven't flown with it yet.
"They" say the Turnigy Plush 60 ESC is the same as the Hobbywing 60 amp ESC so if that's true then it must be the Fun Fly series since the Skywalker series has no 60A ESC, but both Hobbywing ESC series use the same ESC program card so the HK card should work too and the cards should be interchangeable. But not to start a rumor or continue one I don't know if they are the same. I believe a renamed product will not necessarily be the same as the company's own original or it's latest model and firmware. HK is known for making improvements in products as well as not always having the best stuff. My guess is the best caps and noise rejection tuned ESC's as well as quality control would be available direct through the manufacture using it's own name and making the low noise claim.

But either way to get what I need I had to eat 5 bucks and go through Hobbywing to get the FunFly 60A OPTO and pay more than I could get the the SBEC version (Turnigy Plush) as my large gliders are on 72 MHZ and like other electronics the FM receivers have issues with ESC noise and rather replace RF issues with a 1700mAh @ 6.6v 20C LIFE battery that weighs less than the glider's original 500mAh NiCad and eliminates ESC BEC noise. I'm trading battery/motor/prop weight for 12 OZ of lead in the nose so no loss there but can't see a large glider losing control because an ESC or motor failed (shorting out the battery) let alone just because the motor's battery died because the wind picked up on a long downwind leg. That's just like your receiver turning off because you ran out of nitro fuel!!! And that's like your car crashing because it gains speed and goes out of control when it runs out of gas. No thanks...

And adding the noise of a switching BEC with only 3A for a large aircraft with no adjustable output voltage (without moving to Platinum Series which has a different program card for more motor timing choices) just wasn't worth it in a large RC model that can carry a 24 hr LIFO battery without noticing it's weight. Rather drop some weight where it's not so critical. BECs are for saving weight and space, not to be used in large RC aircraft IMO.

Linear mode BECs are OK for 2C batteries but good luck finding a good switching BEC on a small ESC for 3-4C used on a small model where using a switching BEC makes way more sense to save space and weight. You have to go up to 40A to get an SBEC ESC. The Platinum-30A ESCs don't have it and just leave the BEC out and offer it OPTO advertising that the throttle signal is transferred through an optical/electrical coupled system to avoid electromagnetic interference.

I don't get it.... an SBEC is only needed in SMALLER aircraft and RC cars... not larger ones that can carry an small 20C battery. It seems the logic needed for power hungry RC cars without any space for extra batteries has been applied to large aircraft where there is plenty of space to add a small LIFE receiver battery.

When the BEC goes powering the receiver for whatever reason.... the plane goes down too. With RC cars it's not an issue, but with a large scale RC aircraft it obviously is an issue. And when BECs fail at some point they do so without warning unlike a battery going bad. A 1700mAh 20C LIFE battery is small and only weighs 97 grams so why offer Murphy a seat next to the pilot?
John Hendry is offline Find More Posts by John Hendry
Last edited by John Hendry; Oct 07, 2014 at 08:55 PM.