HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: As a Wasp Nano CP owner, would you consider getting the Wasp X3V as well?
Yes 19 45.24%
No 8 19.05%
Not sure or don't know 15 35.71%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:19 AM
Joined Jan 2013
253 Posts
Is the TX that comes with the Wasp Nano CP programmable?
samho2088 is offline Find More Posts by samho2088
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:40 AM
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkflying View Post
We are glad you are getting good results with this change. However, all should exercise caution with this type of change. Increasing the pitch of the main blades at the same RPM, of the previous lower pitch setting will force the motor to work harder, thus using more power and shorten flight time. A 5 point increase may not effect the flight time to much, experiment with larger or smaller numbers. The factory has the pitch settings about optimum for starting out. Factory Field notes confirm that raising the pitch will shorten flight times. Experts agree it is better to increase RPM and not Pitch if possible.
In my case I got 0 pitch on the blades when i increased the mid stick pitch setting from 45% to 50%. The flight time increased from one to five minutes. What probably has happened is that I didn't put back the rotor head at exactly the same position on the main shaft after a crash.

In general I think you are right when you say that it is better to increase RPM (throttle) and not Pitch. I guess this could reduce the energy loss in the ESC and you also build up kinetic energy in the rotors making the heli more agile.

On the other hand, the main motor in my wasp CP gets very hot after a five minutes flight. I'm afraid that an unnecessarily high RPM will lead to an even more overheated motor.
BullXL is offline Find More Posts by BullXL
Old Mar 02, 2013, 07:10 AM
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samho2088 View Post
Is the TX that comes with the Wasp Nano CP programmable?
Yes! Not extremely user friendly though...
BullXL is offline Find More Posts by BullXL
Old Mar 02, 2013, 02:27 PM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullXL View Post
I would agree that the manual needs some work, but a few minutes is all you need to figure out the NASA701.

Actually, one doesn't have to fiddle with its settings which have been optimized at the factory.

And easy mode selection allows you to fly all models from fixed wing elevons to conventional tail configurations, to basic FP helis to CCPM flybar type to flybarless type. You can program your D/R and expos, mixes etc. Wth 12-model memory to boot.

If you mess up the settings, it is a simple button push to return to Factory Default.

Yeah, the Skyartec radios do not bind or "code pair" as the factory calls it, with any other brand of radio. Not a problem, Skyartec receivers are inexpensive anyway.

And for the money....the NASA 701 is hard to beat.
easyrider604 is offline Find More Posts by easyrider604
Last edited by easyrider604; Mar 02, 2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 01:58 AM
United States, MI, Auburn Hills
Joined Dec 2008
981 Posts
Quote:
In my case I got 0 pitch on the blades when i increased the mid stick pitch setting from 45% to 50%. The flight time increased from one to five minutes. What probably has happened is that I didn't put back the rotor head at exactly the same position on the main shaft after a crash.
You bring up a great, but subtle point - did you replace the main gear? We noticed that many that have replaced the main gear assemble it upside down. The smaller, taller tube, like standoff around the main shaft hole on the main gear goes toward the bearing at the underside of the frame. The larger wider standoff goes toward landing gear. If the gear is mounted upside down, with the connectors at factory length, you will produce near zero pitch at higher throttle and way to much negative at lowest throttle ( in normal flight switch mode(up)).

Quote:
In general I think you are right when you say that it is better to increase RPM (throttle) and not Pitch. I guess this could reduce the energy loss in the ESC and you also build up kinetic energy in the rotors making the heli more agile.

On the other hand, the main motor in my wasp CP gets very hot after a five minutes flight. I'm afraid that an unnecessarily high RPM will lead to an even more overheated motor.
Just want to make sure, that my comment was not made as an opinion; this stated by the factory engineers as well as many experienced experts on electric helicopters that I have learned from. Of course, settings are up to the user as they need to evaluate what is best for their flying habits and needs.

Max

www.parkrcmodels.com
www.skyartec-usa.com
Parkflying is offline Find More Posts by Parkflying
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 03, 2013, 02:11 AM
United States, MI, Auburn Hills
Joined Dec 2008
981 Posts
NASA701 programming

Quote:
Interesting feedback. I actually found it a little easier to understand than programming my Futaba 7C - I like that the factory has all of their models already programmed so it is only a couple of buttons to push to change from say the X3V helicopter and the NanoCP and back again. Of course, "Easy" or "Difficult" is subjective and based on perception as well as experience and repetition.. This is an example of once you do it a couple of times correctly, you become an expert. With some practice, the NASA701 is, IMO, as user friendly, as some of the others I have used.

Max
www.parkrcmodels.com
www.skyartec-usa.com
Parkflying is offline Find More Posts by Parkflying
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 03, 2013, 11:57 AM
Joined Oct 2012
802 Posts
After 50 flights, I've had to replace the main motor, as well. I was getting very short flight times. I think the dying main motor was using more current.

I've also replaced the original battery.

Flight times are now ok, but the twitchy behavior in the green mode is back again. The heading hold function does not seem to be working very well. The heli is going all over the place. I tried increasing the gain (from 55 to 56), but this makes it even worse.

By the way, do you need to power up the heli again after changing the gain value or can you do it on the fly?
Lentar is offline Find More Posts by Lentar
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:31 AM
Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentar View Post
After 50 flights, I've had to replace the main motor, as well. I was getting very short flight times. I think the dying main motor was using more current.

I've also replaced the original battery.

Flight times are now ok, but the twitchy behavior in the green mode is back again. The heading hold function does not seem to be working very well. The heli is going all over the place. I tried increasing the gain (from 55 to 56), but this makes it even worse.

By the way, do you need to power up the heli again after changing the gain value or can you do it on the fly?
You can do it on the fly as you can with all of the settings.
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Old Mar 05, 2013, 10:10 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,327 Posts
Just an observation for skyartec and anyone else with this heli. I noticed that the side of the frame that the motor mounts to is warped slightly from the heat of the motor. This causes a change in gear mesh. With a change in gear mesh, it caused a strange noise when I went to mid stick that cause the 3 axis gyro to act up like the gain was too high.
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Old Mar 05, 2013, 10:11 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,327 Posts
Parkflyer....have you been able to get it inverted yet?
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:15 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,160 Posts
Sad to report that the motor on my melting servo just passed away. There is no conduction right at the two leads entering the motor.

My replacement servo was ordered before Chinese new year. It has not arrived. I don't have a motor that small. I don't think I can fix anything inside the can either. Therefore my Nano is grounded.

Oops I forgot there are 2 servos on the V911 control board. Perhaps there is a motor I can borrow.
Wasp09 is offline Find More Posts by Wasp09
Last edited by Wasp09; Mar 07, 2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:04 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,327 Posts
Wasp09...i guess for anyone who buys a kit now they should also buy a spare servo too. I am still waiting for my replacement servo more than a month later as well.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:12 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,200 Posts
I ordered a WASP Nano and two pairs of main/tail motors.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:32 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider604 View Post
I ordered a WASP Nano and two pairs of main/tail motors.
Excellent...Always good to have spare motors. I only have one of each spare however after 6 weeks and multiple flights with mild 3d I haven't had to change it. If anything it is the pinion gear that is wearing down a little. I would also try and get a spare servo too if you can.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:43 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_racer View Post
Excellent...Always good to have spare motors. I only have one of each spare however after 6 weeks and multiple flights with mild 3d I haven't had to change it. If anything it is the pinion gear that is wearing down a little. I would also try and get a spare servo too if you can.
Good point on the servo.

I couldn't wait any longer for the brushless version. James (skyartec) is still testing the brushless version and he said it will take another two months. I eagerly await the BL version.

Got a scoop for you guys! Skyartec is going to release a true 450 Class FBL 6-axis gyro'd heli hopefully within the year. James said it will be soon, but I am not holding my breath for this 450. My X3Vs are keeping me happy for now, anyways.