HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by DJO, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:50 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,552 Posts
Alert
Getting Out of FPV and Need Some Help!

Yo Everybody,

I've decided to get out of FPV.... just my personal preference. It's not as fun as regular R/C flying (LOS) anymore. Not sure why...

However... now that I'm selling my FPV setup, I'm going to have lots of money to spare which I'm not used to, actually. But honestly I don't have any clue what I'm going to do with it. We're talking somewhere over $400

Here's what I've built/flown/driven for R/C so far:

-Traxxas 1/16 E-Revo VXL
-Heli-Max AXE CPv3 RTF
-SkyFun Pusher Jet PNP
-Tuff Trainer PNP
-Binary 900 DLG Kit
-Bonsai Flying Wing Kit
-Blade Scout CX RTF
-Turnigy 1/16 4WD Brushless Buggies
-Blade mCPX V2 RTF
-Twisted Hobbys Crack Yak 55 GOLD
-3D Hobby Shop 41'' Edge 540
-NitroPlanes PopWing KIT
-CrashTestHobby Pelican (that I'm currently flying)

I've used a DX4e, DX5e, DX6i, and a Hitec Laser 4 radio once (72 MHz). I'm currently using the DX5e, but I would like to upgrade. I don't like to spend too much on a radio... I like name-brand radios. Spektrum, Futaba... don't think I'm going to get Turnigy but I guess it's always an option. I'm almost sold on the Futaba 6J, because it's relatively cheap and has all the features that I need... plus, after using 3 Spektrum radios, I'm ready to try something different for a change. But I don't know, maybe a DX7s would be better for what I do

Overall, looking into the past, I had the most fun with the mCPX and the PopWing. The mini E-Revo at a close 2nd maybe...

I'm thinking of getting another heli, but they're so expensive!

I guess I just need some advice. What have you bought/built that you haven't regretted? What was the most fun you've had in this hobby?

Really, the best thing would be to get something that I can use right in my backyard. I don't get to fly a LOT, but I have lots of free time that I don't get to spend flying So maybe the Blade 130X for the backyard would be cool, but at nearly $300... yikes! I did and can fly a 3D foamie in the backyard too... and that's mainly what I did with the Crack Yak. That was fun... but I needed more batteries

Dan
DJO is offline Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Montreal and New Hampshire 2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:47 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,042 Posts
I am a 3d plane, fast plane (160mph+), DLG and 3d heli guy.

Truthfully, I wouldn't suggest ANYTHING on your list. I hope I do not come off rude. If I were to choose one I would say the 41" edge fro. 3DHS. They have awesome planes, awesome CS awesome everything! I have personally had 2 of these. If you can get $400 for your FPV stuff, I would recomend investing into a MIND blowing 3d plane. The 51" Slick from 3dhs. You could build one for right around $450-500 with nice equipment!

I would also suggest DLG. It is insanely addicting. More so than crack rocks themselves! However if you go this route I would suggest getting at LEAST the Topsky 1.0c, preferably the Topsky 2.0 which will fly great!

The reason I make these two suggestions is simply to save you money. Everything you listed is a gateway drug. A crap yak will lead you into buying a 41" edge, which will lead you into the 51" slick, followed by a 71" or larger 3dhs plane, or Extreme Flight. As for the Topsky Dlg, I suggest the 2.0 because the binary, or 1.0c is again a gateway. You will end up buyinga 2.0 followed by some crazy expensive, yet bad aads DLG for $800+ just for airframe..

This is the same path I have followed, as well as WAY to many to count. Looking back, I wish I had this same advise as I would have saved a TON of money in the long run....
Jwmflying14 is online now Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:51 PM
Joined Nov 2010
4,042 Posts
Aw crap, I just realised those are what you HAVE already owned....

Either way, I stand by what I say. I too was once a backyard flyer, and although its less convenient, I truely enjoy the field, and the aircraft I can fly their waaaay over the backyard.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:21 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwmflying14 View Post
I am a 3d plane, fast plane (160mph+), DLG and 3d heli guy.

Truthfully, I wouldn't suggest ANYTHING on your list. I hope I do not come off rude. If I were to choose one I would say the 41" edge fro. 3DHS. They have awesome planes, awesome CS awesome everything! I have personally had 2 of these. If you can get $400 for your FPV stuff, I would recomend investing into a MIND blowing 3d plane. The 51" Slick from 3dhs. You could build one for right around $450-500 with nice equipment!

I would also suggest DLG. It is insanely addicting. More so than crack rocks themselves! However if you go this route I would suggest getting at LEAST the Topsky 1.0c, preferably the Topsky 2.0 which will fly great!

The reason I make these two suggestions is simply to save you money. Everything you listed is a gateway drug. A crap yak will lead you into buying a 41" edge, which will lead you into the 51" slick, followed by a 71" or larger 3dhs plane, or Extreme Flight. As for the Topsky Dlg, I suggest the 2.0 because the binary, or 1.0c is again a gateway. You will end up buyinga 2.0 followed by some crazy expensive, yet bad aads DLG for $800+ just for airframe..

This is the same path I have followed, as well as WAY to many to count. Looking back, I wish I had this same advise as I would have saved a TON of money in the long run....
LOL... if I were suggest anything on my list there that I've flown, one of the last things on it would be that Edge.. *shudder* No offense but I downright hated that plane. LOL I paid so much to set it up but man it flew like a rock, in my opinion. Sorry And I'm definitely NOT a balsa builder. I prefer foam. Just because. Putting a balsa plane in the air makes me so much more nervous. Not to mention that the setup always seems like it needs to be more precise.

I've never actually flown anything larger than that 41'' Edge. And I highly doubt that I'll ever fly a balsa 51'' Slick But hey, it's still an option.

Quote:
Aw crap, I just realised those are what you HAVE already owned....

Either way, I stand by what I say. I too was once a backyard flyer, and although its less convenient, I truely enjoy the field, and the aircraft I can fly their waaaay over the backyard.
I'm young and can't drive myself to the field yet. I don't fly at an R/C field anyways, just the local baseball fields complex thingamabob I could've spent half my day flying today in my backyard, instead of sitting around on RCG. But I don't have anything to fly in my backyard. Well I probably could fly the Pelican very slowly... but a Blade 130X would be better I need to look ahead too, because over the summer it'll be the same way. If I don't get something to do at home, it gets boring so I like to get a plane that I can fly right here at the house!

So you basically called everything on my list a waste of time other than the 3DHS plane. But I look at it the complete different way. That 3DHS plane was a waste of time! LOLOL Thanks for the suggestions, I really do appreciate the time. I do have some DLGs coming in the mail that need repair, they're coming from a generous R/Cer right here on RCG. I also just ordered a RadJet from HobbyKing, just for kicks. I'll see how it compares to some of the other things that I've flown.

Right now, if I were to make a list of R/C things that I wanted, here's what it would probably look like:

-Better Radio. Futaba 6J or 8FGH Super, or Spektrum DX7s or DX8.
-Bigger flying wing. Crash Test Hobby Grim Reaper!
-3D Heli. 250 to 500 size! Or maybe a 3D plane, hmm.

But all of these are very expensive. I like to buy cheap so that if/when I crash it's not hard to get a new one, or something similar. Spend $500 in a balsa airframe, crash it, and man I'd be devastated

Thanks for your input!

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:25 PM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,231 Posts
hey dan - I have gotten into the helis lately. I have a cheapy 450 size and I just ordered the Nano CP X. Maybe you should try the nano? 3D heli flight in your backyard fairly easily,, for that matter , in your basement! LOL

Check out:
Blade Nano CPX (3 min 10 sec)

Lots of R/C things to choose from! Have fun with whatever yo go with!

Keep the videos coming too!
Bill
baddb1 is online now Find More Posts by baddb1
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:27 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddb1 View Post
hey dan - I have gotten into the helis lately. I have a cheapy 450 size and I just ordered the Nano CP X. Maybe you should try the nano? 3D heli flight in your backyard fairly easily,, for that matter , in your basement! LOL

Check out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zd7Im8AW7Q

Lots of R/C things to choose from! Have fun with whatever yo go with!

Keep the videos coming too!
Bill
Yeah I've heard of that one however... doesn't it need a 6 channel transmitter? My DX5e probably won't suffice

Thanks!

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:34 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,552 Posts
Hey hey, look at that. Nano CPX could be flown with my DX5e! Very interesting...

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:46 PM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJO View Post
Hey hey, look at that. Nano CPX could be flown with my DX5e! Very interesting...

Dan
There ya go!
baddb1 is online now Find More Posts by baddb1
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:17 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,552 Posts
Actually I just bought a DX6i... LOL

Once I get the rest of the FPV stuff sold I'll have a good $200+ to spend, or save for later oh and sell the DX5e, another $40ish there too! This is working out really well!!!!

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:38 PM
Joined Nov 2010
4,042 Posts
Hmm... Okay. Well two each his own.

But, All I can say is that the REst of the RC world raves about the 41" edge, calling it the $99 buck huck because it is cheap, and flies better than anything else of its size!

This is one, of about 200 videos on youtube of the 41" buck huck out performing everything else.
3DHS 41" Edge (3 min 54 sec)
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:05 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,552 Posts
Yeah that's why I bought it! I guess it just didn't like me.. LOL

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:10 AM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,552 Posts
Maybe in the future I'll build another 3DHS plane. Maybe it was just the way that I set it up I guess, who knows?

One of the EPP planes would be cool but I really should start getting used to balsa because there are a lot of good balsa planes out there that I'd like to try.

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:26 AM
Joined Nov 2010
4,042 Posts
I agree with that statement!

I was very intimidated with balsa when I got back into rc... But when I really committed to flying balsa I realized there really is no going back.

I have since aquired nothing but composite, or wood planes. They are stronger, and flex less. They just fly so much better and more precise in the air.

I still on occaion do some foam scratch building but only like them because of the work thatwent in. I still would much rather fly balsa, and build balsa, however scratchbuilt balsa can be quite a bit more difficult.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:32 AM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,552 Posts
Quote:
I agree with that statement!

I was very intimidated with balsa when I got back into rc... But when I really committed to flying balsa I realized there really is no going back.

I have since aquired nothing but composite, or wood planes. They are stronger, and flex less. They just fly so much better and more precise in the air.

I still on occaion do some foam scratch building but only like them because of the work thatwent in. I still would much rather fly balsa, and build balsa, however scratchbuilt balsa can be quite a bit more difficult.
Yeah, exactly. I'll probably start with some cheaper balsa builds, Hobby King...

But honestly balsa isn't that good for around here, because I don't have anywhere to really make a full landing from where I fly from, and landings are in the dirt or in the brush area. I could always fly from inside one of the baseball fields but IDK about that...

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:38 AM
Joined Nov 2010
4,042 Posts
Whatever you do, don't go HK balsa.... You will be lucky if it even gets in the air.