SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:32 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frantik View Post
are there any 300mah nanotech batteries with the correct connection or do they have to be modded?
Actually, correctness is all relative. They came correct for the Solo Pro, but incorrect for the Hubsan, just because they chose to do different things. It's not a question of right or wrong here.

And they are neither correct or incorrect for our X1, because X1 doesn't have that plug. So, if you buy these 300mAh cells, you just need to observe the polarity and wire them up to the PCB Consistently, that's all!

In my case, since I already have the Hubsan, and my charger wired up in a certain (opposite) way, I just change the polarity of the batteries, easy peasy. I'm just pointing out the difference in case someone has the Hubsan or something like that! When you see the same LOSI plugs, you'd be tempted to plug it in - and poof! Bye bye, board.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2013, 02:46 AM
Joined Feb 2013
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
It's not a question of right or wrong here.
haha i didn't mean to make it into a philosophical question.. i meant the kind that are compatible with the X1. It sounds like they have to be modded (which isn't hard, just something that has to be done)

So I found out the X1 isn't quite as indestructible as I thought I was having a great time flying outdoors but somehow one of the motors became damaged. The shaft is loose and it resists turning, so that if you turn the propeller manually the teeth will slip. When I power up, it drifts hard to that side and when i power down that prop stops spinning instantly

guess it's time to order some replacement parts.. shoulda know i was gonna spend a lot more than $35 when i bought this thing
frantik is offline Find More Posts by frantik
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:33 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,598 Posts
1. Will this thing work with ANYLINK ?

I have an 8fg super tx and a DX7 and anylink tx module and a Supermicro module
for an old Fut Tx.

2. Has a way been discovered,on the original TX, to increase throws via "trick" programming ?

3. After taking APART the TX to attempt to put some BIND in the Throttle stick - NO JOY

It's a pain to get the buttons back in place and reassemble too.
So much so that I did NOT remove the PCB, figureing it would be WORSE.
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:09 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frantik View Post
haha i didn't mean to make it into a philosophical question.. i meant the kind that are compatible with the X1. It sounds like they have to be modded (which isn't hard, just something that has to be done)

So I found out the X1 isn't quite as indestructible as I thought I was having a great time flying outdoors but somehow one of the motors became damaged. The shaft is loose and it resists turning, so that if you turn the propeller manually the teeth will slip. When I power up, it drifts hard to that side and when i power down that prop stops spinning instantly

guess it's time to order some replacement parts.. shoulda know i was gonna spend a lot more than $35 when i bought this thing
Yeah, the X1 only accepts JST. It's easy to make a LOSI to JST pigtail, or simply solder on a pair of LOSI leads in parallel to the JST. Then you could use the Nano Tech 300mAh. So, while you do one of the above, just pay attention to the polarity and you'll be fine.

Crashing, breaking, and fixing are all part of this hobby. The good thing about the X1 is that replacement parts are plenty and cheap. I never buy any model that I don't already see the availability of parts. Unless you could get parts to fix it, your toy is only good for a bad crash.

Do you know what you need to fix the X1? Check out post #2 to help you find parts. You could order parts from a number of places. Prices varies. If you not sure about what you need, take a close-up photos of the problem area, and we could help you determine the extent of the damage.

Sounds like a bent shaft to me, but it could also mean that the motor mount is knocked loose and mis-aligned.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:26 AM
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay View Post
1. Will this thing work with ANYLINK ?

I have an 8fg super tx and a DX7 and anylink tx module and a Supermicro module
for an old Fut Tx.

2. Has a way been discovered,on the original TX, to increase throws via "trick" programming ?

3. After taking APART the TX to attempt to put some BIND in the Throttle stick - NO JOY

It's a pain to get the buttons back in place and reassemble too.
So much so that I did NOT remove the PCB, figureing it would be WORSE.
1) I don't think so. It's flysky protocol. Anylink is tactic.

2) No. But using a 9x you can add negative expo.

3) I'm not sure what you're asking - bind in the throttle stick?
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:01 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arr0wHead View Post
1) I don't think so. It's flysky protocol. Anylink is tactic.

2) No. But using a 9x you can add negative expo.

3) I'm not sure what you're asking - bind in the throttle stick?
If I'm guessing right, the poster found the throttle stick too loose, and is looking to add some resistance feel to it. I thought about it, too. But I have a T9x and didn't bother with it. But I'll share with the group what my thoughts were. I was thinking about opening the Tx up, and add a piece of Velcro (soft side) near the lip/gap of the top of the throttle travel, so that when re-installed, the throttle stick would rub against it. I think this will add some resistance to it. But like I said, I didn't try it out. It's just an idea that I'm throwing out there. I don't know how it will work out. But if the throttle is too loose for your taste, you could certainly try. The mod is totally reversible if you don't like it.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:39 PM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,615 Posts
So I first started using my X1 and find that sometimes the battery makes connections sometimes not but that's an easy fix.

I am not in love with the battery retention system i.e. those little tabs that keep the battery in place. Are they really necessary??? (before I take the kniife to them)

The third thing that I am noticing (I am going to try it in the "no wind" dome tmrw) is that upon initial throttle it will go in one direction severely. Not sure if that was the wind or maybe a combo of the wind and the gyro not being in sync or what but I am suspisious of the behavior.
kenstogie is online now Find More Posts by kenstogie
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:43 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
I've been working on a model profile for the X1 in my 9x. Mostly started out trying to simplify it to make room for more models, but as I tweaked I started getting pretty good performance.

It's still a work in progress, but right now I've got her flying around my living room at pretty high speed, doing figure 8s and circuits. Response is pretty darned quick, compared to stock.

For reference, right at this moment I'm running 4 channels, 100% rates, with -70 expo on rudder, aileron, and elevator. Oppositely, I've changed expo to +70 on throttle, to cure a bit of jumpiness with the higher settings. Finally, endpoints are set to 125%. (except my TH on the throttle channel).
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:48 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Forgot the important part - I went from my original profile which was 200+ to this one which is only 120K. Lots of room for new helis now! Or, more like 1 more, with only 370k free and still adding to the profiles I have already.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:56 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,598 Posts
OK ... NO ANYLINK got it !

What I meant by Trick Programming is some "backdoor" way to set the Original TX
for more throws. I just figured that Pretty good fliers must have been involved with the
development and that THEY would have wanted something a bit more responsive
BEFORE they handed over the dumbed down version for Public consumption.

It would HAVE to be an INSIDER assist with this question.

Finally YES the Throttle Stick is TOO LOOSE IMHO !
When I'm doing pirouettts et al the throttle stick MOVES around too easily
and I find myself fighting altitude instead of thinking about FLYING the maneuver.

At least with a detent/ratchet you could FEEL the throttle moving around.

I have managed to get MY X1 to lift my Turnigy minicam no problem.

Thanks for the replys,

Bob
Hoosier Cutout Service
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:06 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Bob,

It's likely not what you're looking for, but by using a 9x transmitter like Heli, myself, and many others, all of your issues will be solved. You will have much better control, a better feeling throttle, and you can set rates and expo to adjust to your liking. As I mentioned above, a little expo on the throttle will help stop that yo-yo effect you describe from jerking the throttle while you turn the rudder.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:07 PM
Autopilot no control
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Feb 2013
279 Posts
I am starting to wonder if losing my first quad wasn't my fault. I took another x1 out to test the 9x (not flashed) and took it up and up (1000ft+), but when I wanted to bring it back down it just stayed up there. Throttle stick at zero and it just hovered in the air. I hit the throttle kill switch, it started to fall, I turned kill off and it started to recover with zero throttle input. So I cut it again and just watched it invert and fall (for a long time).

Do I have something set incorrect? Is stock firmware THAT bad? But I DO know the x1 can handle falling at terminal velocity, landing flat on its head on grass.
Highly Grounded is offline Find More Posts by Highly Grounded
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:24 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,485 Posts
HG, Are you serious? Taking it up 1000+ feet is approaching the height of the Empire State Building! And you could see what it is doing at that height?

I don't know what to tell you and why it was hovering that high at zero throttle. Perhaps you could say that your X1 is Highly Grounded? Sorry, couldn't resist.

No, the stock firmware on the 9x is not that bad. To be sure, the Er9x adds lots of bells and whistles. But it doesn't alter that basic control protocol. There is no reason for it to lose control like that. In addition, I have already tested the fail safe in the X1. If it ever gets out of range, it will not continue to climb or execute the last command, it will just cut and drop.

I don't have any experience flying that distance (1000' is over 3 football length). Have a buddy walk the distance and do some range test before you let your X1 fly away.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:28 PM
Joined Feb 2013
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Do you know what you need to fix the X1? Check out post #2 to help you find parts. You could order parts from a number of places. Prices varies. If you not sure about what you need, take a close-up photos of the problem area, and we could help you determine the extent of the damage.

Sounds like a bent shaft to me, but it could also mean that the motor mount is knocked loose and mis-aligned.
i can take pictures later but i don't see any visible damage like cracked plastic or anything. it just seems the shaft is loose. I assume I need to order a new motor.

is there a post with instructions on how to disassemble/reassemble the X1? I see little tabs that look like they hold the drivetrain assembly (motor, gears and rotor shaft) to the arm, but when i tried to separate them I just bent a tab
frantik is offline Find More Posts by frantik
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:35 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,485 Posts
See, that's why I'm asking for photos on even videos to determine what's wrong. It seems to me that something is bent out of shape/place if the gear is not meshing. But it sounds like a bent shaft when it doesn't turn freely. But you think you need to order a new motor? That's why I'm confused.

The beauty of having a Quad is that you have 4 similar working systems. When one goes bad, you compare it with the other 3 working ones. It wouldn't take long to find the differences.

Yes, go to Post #3 (FAQ), and there is info on how to disassemble the Quad.