HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:02 PM
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Mar 2006
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim1357 View Post
You're still going be stuck with that crappy firmware though. Get a smartie parts board and move up to ER9X, you wont be sorry.
If you can solder, save yourself ~$40 and solder up a 10 pin connector and flash. With the extra $40, buy yourself an extra X1

Best battery for your 9x
http://9xforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1143
--Oz-- is offline Find More Posts by --Oz--
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:04 PM
Joined Jan 2013
659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Yes, it is. With the V949 Tx, you could get yourself V911 BNF. But if you're thinking of advancing in this hobby, I still think the T9x is a better investment in the long run.

The range increase is about 3x by my early estimation. However, I'm learning that the X1 Tx range is a moving target. I've gotten anywhere from 50 feet to 200 feet. V949 Tx range was about 200 - 250 feet. The range of T9x is "too far for me to test".
wouldnt be better the FlySky over the Turnigy?....pros and cons?
Im asking this beacuse the turnigy has to be via hobbyking (at least for me, remember i live in Guatemala), it is at like 55 bucks or so, plus like 20 of shipping, plus for me, i gotta get it down here and pay taxes in my country plus shipping from miami to Guatemala.
In the other hand, i got the option of the FlySky on bangggod, 88 bucks total to get it here.

Thanks for all the help man, i appreciate it
Tboost is offline Find More Posts by Tboost
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:07 PM
Joined Jan 2013
659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhitesma View Post
Ha, totally missed that one. But yeah USPS tracking isn't much better than the Flyte tracking in my experience. I usually just see an update after something is delivered.

But I was able to track it down and sure enough it's showing that it arrived in town today.
How did u track it down?...i got a small order with a few things from banggood, and dont know how to see where my package is at the moment.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:27 PM
GOT WINGS
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
2,273 Posts
jhitesma, MassiveRc has the H36 on sale right now, shipped from Florida. He also has some other microquads, but I know the H36 is 9x compatible. I ordered a BNF H36 and 4 MiniPet props for $40 shipped.
siriusflier is online now Find More Posts by siriusflier
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:35 PM
Trees are bad
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2012
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhitesma View Post
I don't see them mentioned in the first 2 posts but wouldn't the HK 4 and 6 channel TX's work as well since they're Flysky protocol as well I believe?.
The first one http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._Mode_2_.htmle should work as it's V2. Not sure about the other one. Note that the only programing changes would be channel reversing (100% rate no expo.). I don't own this radio but I use the V2 receivers http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...er_6Ch_V2.html on foam planes with my 9x.
Stevez1kart is offline Find More Posts by Stevez1kart
Last edited by Stevez1kart; Feb 21, 2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:58 PM
Bulgaria, Stara Zagora
Joined Jan 2013
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim1357 View Post
You're still going be stuck with that crappy firmware though. Get a smartie parts board and move up to ER9X, you wont be sorry.
Sure! But even then I won't have "the best" The thing is - I'm reading this forum at work and repairing the poor quad in the evening, but I'm still a total noob. So more important for me is to find out how to connect the 9x to my PC at work to practice during the boring days

Quote:
Originally Posted by --Oz-- View Post
Will do! Thanks!

What about the X1 hardware on the "Cheapest Super Light Quadcopter Frame"?
little_spiro is offline Find More Posts by little_spiro
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:04 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,203 Posts
Yes, Tboost. I think the FlySky TH9x from BG would be a better option for you. For all you readers out there, I use the T9x notation for Turnigy 9x transmitter very loosely. It is what I have and use. And sometimes I just mean that the T9x and all its variations.

When you use the T9x (or its variations), some of the most sought after mods are:
1) Adding LCD backlight, which you could buy a kit from Hobby King
2) Upgrade firmware to ER9x, or Open9x, for which you need a programmer, available from HK also. As Oz suggested, if you could solder, you could make a connector to the programmer. But not everyone is as daring or have the skill and tools. For those, the Smartie Parts Board is an option. With that you could download other's EPEE model files.
3) Add additional modules like DSM to fly Blade models. This is the one thing why the TH9x from BG could save you lots of work. The T9x I bought from HK, and the TH9x that Xheli sells has the antenna hard wired from the module in the back to the antenna on the top of the radio. When you try to pull off the module in the back (to replace it with another module), you can't! This is a coaxial cable joining the module to the radio! So, in order to do that you must do the antenna mod. The TH9x from BG has the antenna on the module, therefore, removable with the module. You could then just buy a DSM module and plug in. Viola! You have a radio that flies Blade, too! That's why the TH9x from BG is a better option for most people.
4) Battery mod, as Oz has suggested.
5) Resistor mod to use it with SIM, ask Daryoon.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Last edited by Heli Pad; Feb 21, 2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:31 PM
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Speaking of which, my self-birthday gift just arrived, and I just got it running with my 9x. So yes, with the Flysky 9x and the DSM module from hobbyking, I am able to fly a Blade MCPX with no problems.

My own setup is a Flysky 9x, with a hobbyking LiFe battery, hobbyking backlight, and smartieparts board. The battery requires no mods, the black connector fits perfectly and laid on it's side the battery leaves plenty of clearance for the programmer and battery leads. I get an insane amount of time out of each full charge. A fresh charge reads 9.5. It's been 2 weeks, and I'm at 9.3. Battery alarm goes off at 8.5.

Also, of course, I have the DSM2/x module from hobbyking to fly my new Mcpx.
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:45 PM
Joined Jan 2013
659 Posts
Quote:
Yes, Tboost. I think the FlySky TH9x from BG would be a better option for you. For all you readers out there, I use the T9x notation for Turnigy 9x transmitter very loosely. It is what I have and use. And sometimes I just mean that the T9x and all its variations.

When you use the T9x (or its variations), some of the most sought after mods are:
1) Adding LCD backlight, which you could buy a kit from Hobby King
2) Upgrade firmware to ER9x, or Open9x, for which you need a programmer, available from HK also. As Oz suggested, if you could solder, you could make a connector to the programmer. But not everyone is as daring or have the skill and tools. For those, the Smartie Parts Board is an option. With that you could download other's EPEE model files.
3) Add additional modules like DSM to fly Blade models. This is the one thing why the TH9x from BG could save you lots of work. The T9x I bought from HK, and the TH9x that Xheli sells has the antenna hard wired from the module in the back to the antenna on the top of the radio. When you try to pull off the module in the back (to replace it with another module), you can't! This is a coaxial cable joining the module to the radio! So, in order to do that you must do the antenna mod. The TH9x from BG has the antenna on the module, therefore, removable with the module. You could then just buy a DSM module and plug in. Viola! You have a radio that flies Blade, too! That's why the TH9x from BG is a better option for most people.
4) Battery mod, as Oz has suggested.
5) Resistor mod to use it with SIM, ask Daryoon.
Thanks, so basically, they have the same functionsm, range etc, except that its easier to change the module in a TH9x than in the 9x.
One last question, does the TH9x has lcd backlight?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:49 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,979 Posts
Quote:
A pretty easy mod is move the wired in antenna to the module. Remember to remove flux after soldering the antenna coax wire.

I then added a FrSky DIY DHT module inside the radio (switch selects between SkyFly and FrSky RF modules), and modded the 9x to have telemetry data on the 9x LCD.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:54 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
No, on all of them you need to add a backlight. Hobbyking sells a kit.

The differences between models:

1) One TH9x has module mounted antenna (banggood), one has top mounted (xheli), and the turnigy has top mounted. The module mounted unit can easily be swapped out with no mods.
2) The TH9X is black. The turnigy 9x is grey.

That's it.

Backlight kit from hobbyking is something like $5, and is easy to install with the included connectors, no soldering necessary - sort of.

With a self installed programmer, you don't need to solder the backlight, but you obviously need to solder the programmer. With a smartieparts board, you don't need to solder the board but you'll need to solder 2 wires together for the backlight. Either way, if your intent is to upgrade the firmware AND have a backlight you'll need to solder at least a couple wires.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:13 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,979 Posts
Since I have mod'ed about a dozen 9x to er9x, the $5 HK programmer was then best way to go, in addition, I have flashed many ESC's to SimonK firmware and updated several KK2 boards. So for me, the HK programmer is the most cost efficient route.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...rSearch=usbasp
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:17 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,203 Posts
Happy Birthday, Arr0wHead! Did you win that mCPx, or did you buy that mCPx? LOL

I'm surprised that you even have time to post here. LOL
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:26 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Happy Birthday, Arr0wHead! Did you win that mCPx, or did you buy that mCPx? LOL

I'm surprised that you even have time to post here. LOL
Birthday is Monday, but I bought my present a little early. I love my Super CP, but I wanted a CP heli I could control with my 9x, so I wasn't forced to carry two tx's with me.

My hope, wink wink, is that my fiance has bought me a couple of those neat-o Harbor Freight cases for my b-day. This way I can have a devo case, and a 9x case. Load the 9x, a ladybird, the MCPX, and a v911 or two in one case, and put the Super CP and devo in another. Hopefully add a walkera ladybird to the devo case, when funds allow. As you may have noted, I've burned a LOTTA money on this new hobby. I tend to dive into things like that.

As for winning helicopters, I've been trying like crazy in the oomodels thread. Missed the last prize (Super CP and 7e) by one post! But I've got one already, so I'm not heartbroken to lose. I'm surprised I haven't seen some of the regulars from the v911, Super CP, x1, 939, etc... threads in there trying at a shot to win one. It's a pretty cool contest. I love free stuff.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:16 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2010
534 Posts
I would absolutely get the 9x with the antenna on the module. It isn't hard to move the one that is hard wired but it's worth it to have it already done for you. Wiring up an AVR programmer by soldering to the board is also fairly easy with even rudimentary soldering skills like I have but it helps to have a decent soldering station like the one HK sells. I used 3 pairs of JST connectors to connect to my programmer. Not as elegant as the mod OZ showed photos of but it works just fine and they fit inside the battery compartment with a 1700mah 2S battery.

I did not have to do any resistor mod to use the 9X with the stock Phoenix sim cable and the 12 in 1 knock off from dealextreme.
slim1357 is offline Find More Posts by slim1357