HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:00 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_spiro View Post
Thank you so much, guys! I'm flying again!!! I'm still pretty confused how you helped me... I didn't touch the connections. They are soldered as they came. Still - I just rotated the frame 90 and it's working. So thanks again!

Yeah, I thought about that, too - whether you have disconnected and reconnected the arms. So, I was confused as to what happened if you didn't touch the solder. Then, I think I figured it out.

You see, the solder pads are roughly in the middle of each side, half way between the corners. So, w/o touching the solders, you could easily have rotated the FC 90 while screwing it down. In the wrong orientation, what used to be left/right, are now front/back. So, as the the gyro tries to compensate, it will send signals to the wrong arm, causing it to behave like it was in the video. So, after you rotate 90 back, everything was in the right orientation again.

That was a very good lesson. I always wonder what it would be like when the direction is messed up. Now I know from that video. LOL

So, what was the motivation behind the new frame?
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:26 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,936 Posts
Recently, two phenomena -- which may be related:

- My X1's left rear motor has weakened. Often, it balks at startup. Very much like what dmzim reported is happening with one of his motors. (post 1169)

- I've stopped using TX trim. I just leave everything in neutral position, and then compensate with the sticks. That seems to work as well, or better, than starting up with trim. (If I use trim, I feel as if I'm still having to apply the same control corrections as without trim.....but with less control travel to work with.)

Anyone else finding the same type of thing.....weakened motor after a lot of flight time?

This isn't really a problem. I have a Banggood order in process, for replacement motors.

But my experience, together with dmzim's and others, may suggest that our X1 motors have a relatively short life.

Short, that is, considering how fun they are....and how we like to pile on the flight hours!

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:44 PM
Joined Nov 2004
150 Posts
Can 2 x1's fly in same vicinity?

Are the standard trransmitters all on the same freq? Or are they dfferent so 2 people can fly in same vicinty?

Ron
ronrc is offline Find More Posts by ronrc
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:09 PM
nj
Joined Jan 2004
1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronrc View Post
Are the standard trransmitters all on the same freq? Or are they dfferent so 2 people can fly in same vicinty?

Ron
Hi there 2.4 so many can fly at the same time.
reptileman is online now Find More Posts by reptileman
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:05 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Mar 2009
308 Posts
Finally got my X1 out in a bigger space today and had a blast with it. Gorgeous morning with no wind (just an occasional slight breeze) girls were out so I had some time for myself and made the most of it.

I'll admit now I can see why some people complain about the X1 being slow and cumbersome. With enough room it's easy to hit it's limits. But I still think for the price you get a heck of a lot more than you pay for!

Being able to take it high/far enough that orientation doesn't matter just seeing it is a problem was a blast. And I even managed a manual loop flying with my 9x. It wasn't nearly as impressive as the flips but I was still pretty hyped about pulling it off.

Still only one battery and I flew until cut out but man was it a blast having more room. Took it up again this afternoon with my girls and the wife gave it a try. She's still too timid to do much more than hover but she wants to learn Our daughter helped too, kept insisting that I stop flying so mommy could fly the bee.

I didn't think to check the voltage but the cut off must cut off farther than I'd prefer, since both times I recharged on my accucel-6 and it reported the battery sucking down 377mah both times. Hope those other 5 batts I ordered get here quick.

And glad I didn't place an order for a new prop shaft yet because now both white shafts are bent. Still flies, but has a bit of a wobble at hover Even after a bunch of hard hits today it's still doing great. Really can't get over what an amazing little toy this is for how little it costs!
jhitesma is offline Find More Posts by jhitesma
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:28 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,743 Posts
You did what, J? A manual loop with a T9x? Wow, that IS impressive! I didn't even know that the X1 is capable of doing that. I think I tried and crashed badly. So, gave us a play-by-play on how to do a manual loop. How high did you go? Was it a back-loop or any other direction? How big was that loop? What Limits/Expo you set on the T9x? What you did with the sticks, etc....

While you were outdoor, what kind of range did you get before you hit its "limit"?

LVC is set pretty low (and I like it), something like 3.5 or something. That's not gonna hurt the battery, I don't think.

Did you say you placed an order for new shaft or didn't place? A bit confused by your comment there.

I couldn't agree with you more. The X1 is not an mQx, and it is not the best Quad out there. But for the money, and for the return in investment, it is pretty hard to beat.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:34 PM
Joined Aug 2012
546 Posts
it is not an mqx but that is why i like it. Don't get me wrong, I like my mqx but my 5 year old flies and flips the x1 which I would never let him try with my mqx. I don't like the massively hampered flight of the x1 but it is good for a beginner and the price is right.
Greg Head is offline Find More Posts by Greg Head
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:37 AM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Mar 2009
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
You did what, J? A manual loop with a T9x? Wow, that IS impressive! I didn't even know that the X1 is capable of doing that. I think I tried and crashed badly. So, gave us a play-by-play on how to do a manual loop. How high did you go? Was it a back-loop or any other direction? How big was that loop? What Limits/Expo you set on the T9x? What you did with the sticks, etc....
To be honest I think a lucky gust of wind helped I tried to do it again but ended up having a fight with a small tree. I was up about 50-60 feet or so and just went full throttle forward into the wind, when it started to dip I cut the throttle then hit the throttle back on while pulling reverse.

I tried to do it again on the second charge later but ended up "inverted" which I didn't think was possible...and isn't. Basically it meant I ended up flying straight down into the ground

When I did pull the loop I was using my 9x with er9x and rates setup as high as they'd go (125 or is it 150? I don't recall off the top of my head what the upper limit is.)

It was a slow lazy loop and I really didn't think it was going to work so I was pretty shocked that it did. Pretty sure the light gust had a lot to do with it, but chopping the throttle and then getting back on it was what pulled it out. Basically I've been practicing tossing the quad in some direction, then cutting the throttle, and running it back up when the quad just happens to be in the orientation I want. I do it in my backyard for quick saves It wasn't nearly as impressive as the automated flips. But it sure was fun. Of course since it was mainly luck I doubt I'll be able to do it again now!

Quote:
While you were outdoor, what kind of range did you get before you hit its "limit"?
I hit the limit of my eyes before I hit the limit of either TX. But on the stock TX I just didn't go very far because I was afraid of hitting the limit. I kept it within about 100-150 feet I'd say on the stock TX and never lost it. With the 9x I can't even estimate how far I went but it was pure lock that I didn't loose orientation because it was just a dot in the sky.

Quote:
LVC is set pretty low (and I like it), something like 3.5 or something. That's not gonna hurt the battery, I don't think.
I've noticed the stock battery dies suddenly. And it will prevent take off even if you'd been flying successfully. Meaning if I land on purpose and try to take off again it will suddenly go into LVC even though it felt fine just before landing. But both times today I suddenly had a hard time gaining any altitude and then boom it fell out of the sky as I was trying to get it back to me.

I have an 8 minute timer set on the 9x tied to the throttle but haven't hit it yet. Mainly because I only fly about half the battery on the 9x right now and then switch to the stock TX for some flip fun

Quote:
Did you say you placed an order for new shaft or didn't place? A bit confused by your comment there.
I was going to earlier this afternoon but didn't. I just placed a quick order to hobbypartz now though, got 4 shafts (at least I hope that's what I ordered, with no photos it's a little hard to tell!) along with some props for my fixed wings and some connectors I'm sick of waiting for HK to get in stock

Off topic but I finally had some decent luck with my scratch build fixed wing today too. Still need to find stiffer wire for my servo linkages and it was way over propped with the props I found at my LHS yesterday...but I finally got enough expo and limits dialed in that it was at least somewhat controllable. Looking forward to getting some proper props for it (the ones I just ordered along with my shafts) and hopefully managing to get some use out of a battery or two next weekend

Quote:
I couldn't agree with you more. The X1 is not an mQx, and it is not the best Quad out there. But for the money, and for the return in investment, it is pretty hard to beat.
My wife and daughter both spotted the mQx on our visit to the new LHS - I heard a few comments about my upcoming birthday...but I'm not getting my hopes up. Neither of them saw the price sticker
jhitesma is offline Find More Posts by jhitesma
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:45 AM
Bulgaria, Stara Zagora
Joined Jan 2013
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by --Oz-- View Post
I am not happy with the results, maybe a 30% improvemen
Thanks! Well, I guess I'll leave this for now. I'm sorry I didn't broke my other 7dB antenna. Whatever. Thanks!

Quote:
Then, I think I figured it out.
I'm trying, but still don't get it. The thing is - the gyro can't know where are the arms. I mean - if it sends wrong signals it will probably turn left when I try move forward, but for lifting up it shouldn't be a problem(which was my case)...
Whatever it was - it's fixed now, so I'm happy. Gonna make a happy flying video when I finish the camera mount

Quote:
So, what was the motivation behind the new frame?
The same as Oz's one. This -

I think this this frame could be even better than the original, but my digital scale is still on the way from china, so I can confirm in a week or two. It makes no sense to change it before it brakes, tho
little_spiro is offline Find More Posts by little_spiro
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:46 AM
Bulgaria, Stara Zagora
Joined Jan 2013
20 Posts
Do anybody knows if it's OK to connect the 808cam to the Syma's battery(to remove the 808's battery and use the Syma's one)?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:32 AM
Bulgaria, Stara Zagora
Joined Jan 2013
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
- I've stopped using TX trim. I just leave everything in neutral position, and then compensate with the sticks. That seems to work as well, or better, than starting up with trim. (If I use trim, I feel as if I'm still having to apply the same control corrections as without trim.....but with less control travel to work with.)
Same here,but without the motor issue.So before I put the battery I turn on the Tx, fix the trims to neutral and turn it off again. When the Syma is on I do the necessary trim corrections..
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:32 PM
a little kid at heart
Poulsbo, Wa
Joined Sep 2004
1,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_spiro View Post
Do anybody knows if it's OK to connect the 808cam to the Syma's battery(to remove the 808's battery and use the Syma's one)?
Ive done that on a plane and got ESC interference. You will get a cleaner picture if you dont.

Bill
poulsbobill is offline Find More Posts by poulsbobill
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:59 PM
Bulgaria, Stara Zagora
Joined Jan 2013
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poulsbobill View Post
Ive done that on a plane and got ESC interference. You will get a cleaner picture if you dont.
Thanks, Bill!
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:54 AM
Joined Jan 2013
9 Posts
Range problem

I finally replaced broken shafts and landing gear, but i'm having problem with the signal loss. It's losing contact even few meters in front of me. The longest that it goes it's about 15m. When I first got it, it flew 80-100m with no problem in any direction.
Both battery were full- nano-tech in the quad and Eneloop extreme in transmitter.
Could it be problem with the board (after hard crashes) or with the transmitter?

Also, I noticed that the lcd on Tx sometimes stop working, so i have to turn it off/on couple times to start working..
marko87 is offline Find More Posts by marko87
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:15 PM
Learning more each day....
United States, RI, Portsmouth
Joined Nov 2012
711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko87 View Post
I finally replaced broken shafts and landing gear, but i'm having problem with the signal loss. It's losing contact even few meters in front of me. The longest that it goes it's about 15m. When I first got it, it flew 80-100m with no problem in any direction.
Both battery were full- nano-tech in the quad and Eneloop extreme in transmitter.
Could it be problem with the board (after hard crashes) or with the transmitter?

Also, I noticed that the lcd on Tx sometimes stop working, so i have to turn it off/on couple times to start working..

Just a suggestion, but once I crashed mine about 30 times I decided to just pull it apart for parts - saved some for myself and put some in the classified section here for $10 plus shipping.

Then buy another X1. You'll then have some backup parts AND a new machine which flies much better.
craigiri is online now Find More Posts by craigiri
RCG Plus Member