HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:00 PM
Joined Jan 2013
37 Posts
I have no issues with reception when using my 9x. When i lost it.. I mean I LOST IT.. It flew out of sight and all the people spotting it lost it too. It had to be the better part of a MILE away and it was cloud level high. I leave the throttle at 90% for a few minutes on end. I like to pull it back and see how far I can make it dip (thats when I usually am able to find it) . It must drop 100' by the time I level it back out. It is addicting.
Globel is offline Find More Posts by Globel
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:04 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globel View Post
.....Some times i evean fly it out of sight, and i still bring it back.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globel View Post
.....It had to be the better part of a MILE away and it was cloud level high.......
I take off my hat to you!

That is truly superhuman aviating.

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:15 PM
Joined Jan 2013
37 Posts
I am just a man with nothing to lose.

I fly like every flight might be my last...

And I remember I have a few more x1's unopened.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:20 PM
Joined Dec 2012
8 Posts
"And I remember I have a few more x1's unopened."

Some people live a charmed life............Enjoy
F4Dee is offline Find More Posts by F4Dee
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:26 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Mar 2009
294 Posts
Watching a few recent videos I noticed that all the other X1's out there look a lot more stable than mine. My props are getting pretty beat up so I thought about swapping to the replacments that came with it. But then i took a closer look...and realized one of the white ones appears to have a bent shaft

Bummer, Haven't even gotten the extra batteries I ordered yet and I've already broken it. It still flies and I'm still having a blast with it...but not very stable with a bent shaft. Now things get tricky...don't want to pay a premium to get a replacement quick but don't want to wait to get one cheap. Good thing that battery order also has a new RX board for my 9958 and a BNF v911 to keep me occupied...when it gets here

On a happier note I finally remembered to check out the LHS that opened here in town a few months back. They sounded like they were almost all car oriented but I was looking for a pinion puller for a car sized motor anyway (got a free power wheels quad for my little girl but the motors are shot, found replacement motors but need to swap the pinions.) Wrong day to stop in though since it was the owners wife holding down the shop while the usual crew was at a big race at our new outdoor track today. But I was still happily impressed by the new LHS, good selection of Blade parts for my helis and while heavy on car stuff like I suspected they still had a decent amount of plane, and heli stuff even if it was mostly Horizon and priced accordingly. Just super hyped to finally have a local hobby shop, was able to pick up some props to get my fixed wings flying again and made some mental notes about what they stock

Oh and my girl helped me come up with a new game for the X1. All you need is an X1 and some bubbles. She dips the bubble wand and holds it out then says "Bee make bubbles" which is my queue to hold the X1 upside down under the wand and hit the throttle so it blows through the wand and makes a TON of bubbles. She then commands "Bee catch bubbles" and I get to take off and chase the bubbles around the yard Yeah, getting the bee body was a great call with a 2.5 year old
jhitesma is online now Find More Posts by jhitesma
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:32 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhitesma View Post
Oh and my girl helped me come up with a new game for the X1. All you need is an X1 and some bubbles. She dips the bubble wand and holds it out then says "Bee make bubbles" which is my queue to hold the X1 upside down under the wand and hit the throttle so it blows through the wand and makes a TON of bubbles. She then commands "Bee catch bubbles" and I get to take off and chase the bubbles around the yard Yeah, getting the bee body was a great call with a 2.5 year old
That's great! J.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:23 PM
Joined Feb 2013
84 Posts
man i can't imagine growing up with quad copters as cheap toys.. kids these days

So, slightly off topic, but is there a thread on the "best" 808 camera? It seems people like the #16, but it's usually around $40.. is there a "best" ~$15 one? For some reason i think #3 is supposed to be good?
frantik is offline Find More Posts by frantik
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:05 AM
Joined Jan 2013
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frantik View Post
man i can't imagine growing up with quad copters as cheap toys.. kids these days

So, slightly off topic, but is there a thread on the "best" 808 camera? It seems people like the #16, but it's usually around $40.. is there a "best" ~$15 one? For some reason i think #3 is supposed to be good?
The tunigy hobbyking one is a NO go. Its horrible. Its for long range only maybe. The FOV feels very narrow. And it is very wobbly.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:22 AM
night is right for flight!
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Jan 2012
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frantik View Post
is there a "best" ~$15 one? For some reason i think #3 is supposed to be good?
i bit on the Meritline $12 808, still pictures work fine, got the time/date set, but video played back audio only. finally figured out to play video back with Quicktime, though the picture was jerky & blurry. that worked long enough to determine it is a #3 (i think) but now it's completely dead. no lights, plug it in and both my computers say 'USB device not recognized'.
my next attempt will be a full-price, $40 #16.
the old saying is true, you get what you pay for!
thunnus is offline Find More Posts by thunnus
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:48 AM
Bulgaria, Stara Zagora
Joined Jan 2013
20 Posts
Hey guys!
I just made my new main frame and the syma went crazy... Any ideas why? Could it be the circuit board? The circuit board wasn't loose. The first "flights" were with the plastic cap over and the board was horizontal. The video is just to show you how it looks like . It's no way to fly it...
syma x1 not flying.mp4 (0 min 30 sec)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
little_spiro is offline Find More Posts by little_spiro
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:59 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,495 Posts
Little Spiro, I believe you have the arms connected wrong when you transferred them to this new frame. Everything is off by 90 now. That's why the gyro is confused.

Looking at your YouTube video, you need to disconnect the FC board, rotate it 90 CW and reconnect.

The Antenna and LED should be on LEFT side, not the back side.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:16 PM
United States
Joined Mar 2006
2,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Little Spiro, I believe you have the arms connected wrong when you transferred them to this new frame. Everything is off by 90 now. That's why the gyro is confused.

Looking at your YouTube video, you need to disconnect the FC board, rotate it 90 CW and reconnect.

The Antenna and LED should be on LEFT side, not the back side.
Hi Spiro,

I agree with HeliPad.

Left front motor should be connected to the front facing ESC output, I am guessing LF is soldered to left side of the board.

This picture shows the correct wiring, forward is up.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...b#post24053669

LF motor to top pcb (red & blue wires)
RF motor to right pcb
RR motor to bottom pcb (red and blue wires)
LR motor to left pcb

Forget about the silkscreen on the pcb, i mentioned awhile back that its incorrect on this green version, the red pcb version is correct.

Looks like my frame
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...1%20bottom.jpg

Good luck.
--Oz-- is offline Find More Posts by --Oz--
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:43 PM
Bulgaria, Stara Zagora
Joined Jan 2013
20 Posts
Thank you so much, guys! I'm flying again!!! I'm still pretty confused how you helped me... I didn't touch the connections. They are soldered as they came. Still - I just rotated the frame 90 and it's working. So thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by --Oz-- View Post
Looks like my frame
Yeah, it's yours. Just pcb version

Oz, I sent you two PMs, but I guess you don't read them. It's about the antenna mod, which Heli Pad repeated yesterday. I was just going to attempt soldering the new 2,4Ghz antenna when I saw Heli Pad's pictures. You both soldered it on different places..? I have the Heli Pad antenna version. Should I pick up his soldering points?
Heli Pad, did you tried it again? Would you recommend the mod? I don't have any other Tx so I'm still considering.

little_spiro is offline Find More Posts by little_spiro
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:14 PM
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
So I have a motor that isn't spinning up consistently, I took the prop of and checked for damage didn't see anything obvious, if I give a little twirl with my fingers things seem to be smooth, if I give it some power and a little twirl it will run, anything I can do or should I just swap it out?? I have a spare X-1 that I am willing to use for parts...also can someone describe the procedure for removing a motor?
dmzim is offline Find More Posts by dmzim
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:48 PM
United States
Joined Mar 2006
2,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_spiro
I saw all your posts about the X1 antenna mod, but even after reading it quite a few times I'm still a bit confused. The problem is I think my antenna have only one wire could it be? And where exactly should I solder the ground?
Thank you in advance!

Spiro, on your antenna, you may have to strip away some of the shield to revile the inner wire, so the shield goes to ground and the inner wire goes to the cap. The ground for the RF board is mostly all around the board so I soldered to the ground side of the two components that you drew arrows to. The other guy soldered them to the component right below the final 100pF cap, either way is about the same (his should be slightly better in theory). I am not happy with the results, maybe a 30% improvement, nothen to write home about. And its pretty difficult to stand up that 100pF cap, it's very tiny, most can not do it, but there are some that can, another route is cut the trace after the cap to disconnect the pcb antenna, then solder to the cap (still laying down). Remember to remove the flux after soldering, it does have a negative effect at 2.4GHz.
--Oz-- is offline Find More Posts by --Oz--