SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:29 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
I have never been a quad person but when I saw this for 35 bucks, I thought, what the hell! So now I am a new owner of a quad. Only had 1 flight with it so far and I have to say that I was surprised at how badly out of trim mine was out of the box. It took me a few minutes to get it right, my wife sitting on the couch refusing to start eating her supper in fear that I might hit her lol. Once I got it trimmed out it was much easier to control. Dont like the transmitter though, its so small I can't use my normal pinch method and now I am having to fly it with thumbs only. I might as well be a brand new pilot having to just use my thumbs lol. The resolution on the tx is poor as well but at least its flyable, cant expect it to compare to a nice computerized tx. Overall, when I get more time on it, I think I am going to enjoy flying this quad out in the back yard. I hate to admit it, but for $35 bucks, it is worth it.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:44 PM
United States
Joined Mar 2006
2,176 Posts
Turnigy 9x thro timer and graph

This is a 9x with er9x FW showing throttle graph and timers. The total time timer only runs when thro is above 1%. I usually get 14 minutes of ripping around on the Nano 750mAh battery, if I putted around maybe 20+ minutes. Stock battery putting is 9 minutes and ripping around 5 minutes for me.
--Oz-- is online now Find More Posts by --Oz--
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:09 PM
United States
Joined Mar 2006
2,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDay View Post
I have never been a quad person but when I saw this for 35 bucks, I thought, what the hell! So now I am a new owner of a quad. Only had 1 flight with it so far and I have to say that I was surprised at how badly out of trim mine was out of the box. It took me a few minutes to get it right, my wife sitting on the couch refusing to start eating her supper in fear that I might hit her lol. Once I got it trimmed out it was much easier to control. Dont like the transmitter though, its so small I can't use my normal pinch method and now I am having to fly it with thumbs only. I might as well be a brand new pilot having to just use my thumbs lol. The resolution on the tx is poor as well but at least its flyable, cant expect it to compare to a nice computerized tx. Overall, when I get more time on it, I think I am going to enjoy flying this quad out in the back yard. I hate to admit it, but for $35 bucks, it is worth it.
If you have a 9x radio, it will bind to the X1, its smoother and range is not an issue, downside, no flip button, although the er9x-open9x guys are looking into it. I am over missing the flip button, I got this to teach me how to fly a normal size quad and it has done just that. I am now waiting for a few parts to finish my new quad. I built it 400mm, but after I get the hang of it I will make it ~250-330mm.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:32 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
I do not have a 9x radio. I am mainly spectrum stuff with a little walkera stuff mixed in.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:20 AM
Registered Quadcopter Abuser
United States, TN, Shelbyville
Joined Feb 2013
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frantik View Post
yeah i run into things a lot indoors, but with only one 8 minute battery i don't feel like going far for test flights. I've gotten a lot better at throttle control and can get it to hover in a general area now at least

towards the end of my last flight i removed the "spacecraft" cover and noticed a dramatic improvement in handling. i don't know if it was due to the weight loss, improved center of balance or lack of turbulence created by the cover, but I think i will fly with it off now, even though it's a bit trickier to tell orientation.

if the improvement is due to weight loss, i think i will be right back where i was with the 600mah batteries, so I could see the desire for the lighter ones. Adding a camera must make these things feel like a tank on top of a boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronrc View Post
I took my cover off. the main reason was to reduce weight and look less toy like. I'm still flying on stock battery. Have some 600mah coming. having a lot of fun with it. It will be great when I have more batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
I made a cover by cutting a piece off a clear plastic carbonated water bottle (Crystal Geyser) and adding a blue tape arrow to help with orientation. It is less than half the weight of the dorky stock cover and has less windage. It flies almost as well as with no cover but is easier to see and better protected. Looks great too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
IMO, the board is pretty-well protected by its position (inside the "safe zone," between the main spars and the props/engine mounts) and by the clear, inner plasic cover (which is fairly strong).

And, the X1 looks SOOOOOOOOO much cooler and more dronish without the toyish outer shell.

I'm sorry, but I think yall are trippin. I can tell absolutly no diff. in the way it flys with or without the canopy. In fact, I can't tell any decernible diff in the 600mah batt as opposed to the 350. When i strapped the camera to it's lid it didn't really care about that either. I mean i could tell a little diff maybe but not much at all. Also, call me crazy, but i think the little spacecraft body is twice as sharp as anything I've seen on an mQX. I love the way it looks, especially nose in, commin at me. The bright red nose and two blue, vertical stripes on the tail end are almost critical to solid orientation for me. I think if i had the little round "UFO" body I might take it off and do away with it but I gotta stand up for the super kool little "Spacecraft" body. I think it's tough lookin, and to me anyway, makes the flyin a lot better. O! I think the "bee" canopy is pretty kool lookin too. Maybe I'm the odd ball, lol.
jeepokee95xj is offline Find More Posts by jeepokee95xj
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:30 AM
Registered Quadcopter Abuser
United States, TN, Shelbyville
Joined Feb 2013
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageek2 View Post
I took the canopy off because if you move up to a hobby grade quad it most likely won't have one and you will be looking at something else for orientation. I figured why get into a bad habit from the beginning.
All my bigger muti-rotor stuff has lots of LED's for orientation. I just like the little "Spacecraft" body/canopy. I guess I AM the Oddball... That's ok. I'm used to it.
jeepokee95xj is offline Find More Posts by jeepokee95xj
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:37 AM
night is right for flight!
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Jan 2012
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by --Oz-- View Post
This LED has a resistor and should work at the voltage we are using, but not sure about the brightness
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wired-LED-Di...2fb6533&_uhb=1
and
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wired-LED-Di...34ed0f8&_uhb=1
--Oz--, thanks for helping to feed my addiction! helps me pass the time until the fishing season gets going again.
i ordered, received, and installed these blue & red lights, they are awesome for night flying and even help with orientation during the day! the blue are actually a little brighter than the red, so i put the red in the rear. makes sense anyway, most vehicles have red lights in the rear.
i fly fairly aggressively (and definitely push my skill level) almost every day/night, most of the time over the street in front of my house. i've been going to a couple different fields on decent nights. i have met some of my new neighbors for the first time, asking to access their back yards, roof tops, and trees!
as for the durability of the X-1 i'm overall very pleased. surprisingly i have not yet broken a blade. i have however had to replace one burned out motor, broken 4 gear housings and have had to rob from Thing 1 to keep Thing 2 in the air. i have replacement parts on order as well as a Turnigy Accucel-6 charger and XT-60 to JST Charging Adapter (2pc). i ordered and am using two Lectron Pro 600mAh batteries in addition to the stock 350s.
one friend gave me a volt meter and another an Eflite Celectra charger with a couple adapters until my new charger arrives.
i even fell for a cheap 808 keychain camera, haven't quite figured out how to use it yet and at $12 it may be a junker. takes photos but video just plays back a black screen.
anyway, i've rambled on enough. thanks to HP and Oz and all you other enablers out there, i look forward to meeting up with some of the Ptown peeps sometime soon!
SYMA X-1 NEW LED UPGRADE (0 min 27 sec)
thunnus is offline Find More Posts by thunnus
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:25 AM
Bulgaria, Stara Zagora
Joined Jan 2013
20 Posts
my first and one of the last flights

It's my first rc toy, and I knew it won't last more than a few days after refusing to buy a flight simulator. The "main frame" broke on the third day I got my X1 and since than I'm building a new one every day. They are all too heavy to manage the 808cam weight, but I'll keep trying(at least till the end of the f*cking Chinese new year). I hope I'll have soon something better to show
first steps (3 min 51 sec)
little_spiro is offline Find More Posts by little_spiro
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:36 AM
Joined Jan 2013
664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by --Oz-- View Post
Good eye! Yes it's a mod but untested, I am waiting for a spectrum analyzer to free up in the lab to make my testing easier. Hopefully in a day or two.

I have seen three different RF modules, the difference I noticed is the style of the pcb trace antenna.
looking forward to hear about your test results. I just got into this hobby, and i dont have a 9x at the moment, since all i got now is an X1 and a V911, im looking to maybe do a cheap mod like that to increase X1īs range. Its in my plans to get a 9x tho
Tboost is offline Find More Posts by Tboost
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:12 PM
United States
Joined Mar 2006
2,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunnus View Post
--Oz--, thanks for helping to feed my addiction! helps me pass the time until the fishing season gets going again.
i ordered, received, and installed these blue & red lights, they are awesome for night flying and even help with orientation during the day!
I mostly fly at night outdoors and the added lights are a big factor for me orientating, I can fly better at night than day because of the added LED's. Glad it helped you out.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:40 PM
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDay View Post
Only had 1 flight with it so far and I have to say that I was surprised at how badly out of trim mine was out of the box.
When you put the battery in, make sure to immediately place the quad down on a flat surface. If it's in your hand or at an angle while the gyros calibrate it will be very out of trim when you try to fly it.

In addition, depending what you're used to flying, a quad will have a tendency to drift a bit each time you give it input. I.E. - you give it some forward throttle and stop, it will keep moving forward.
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:40 PM
Joined Dec 2012
8 Posts
My 808 #18 cam is mounted on the x1 and flies just fine. I used a Starbucks Frappacino lid and mount the cam with velcro. It is very stable and no jello.
I have a Blade MQX at 5 times the cost and fly only the X1.

F4Dee is offline Find More Posts by F4Dee
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:34 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,448 Posts
I did not know what to expect for $35.00 quad. I have T9X and what a great combo. I also have two V929's and all fly well. Clones are fine but lack ability of MQX. I bought my MQX used but in good shape. Flys very well. The X-1 is quiet and smooth. Pleasure to fly.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:54 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Dee View Post
My 808 #18 cam is mounted on the x1 and flies just fine. I used a Starbucks Frappacino lid and mount the cam with velcro. It is very stable and no jello.
I have a Blade MQX at 5 times the cost and fly only the X1.
Nice job, there!

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:32 PM
Joined Feb 2013
84 Posts
nice way to mount the cam! i need to get me a cam soon
frantik is offline Find More Posts by frantik