HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:29 PM
Registered User
--Oz--'s Avatar
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Mar 2006
1,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier View Post
tmart has some 7mm motors stateside not affected by chinese new year
I can't seem to find the Syma X1 motors on tmart, could you provide a link to them, thanks!
--Oz-- is online now Find More Posts by --Oz--
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:36 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2013
84 Posts
The X1 sure can take a beating! my first flight outdoors consisted mostly of smashing into hard walls and ground a bunch of times. one prop did get a bit bent, but I was able to bend it back and it seemed to be fine.

I had a really had time getting it to hover in place.. the throttle control is way too sensitive for me.. especially when trying to make it rotate on its axis. I kept mixing up the throttle and forward/back too, especially when I would try to make it rotate

I tried the high/low rate.. on the high rate it definitely felt more responsive. And the automatic flip button is pretty sweet
frantik is offline Find More Posts by frantik
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:56 PM
Registered User
--Oz--'s Avatar
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Mar 2006
1,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frantik View Post
The X1 sure can take a beating! my first flight outdoors consisted mostly of smashing into hard walls and ground a bunch of times. one prop did get a bit bent, but I was able to bend it back and it seemed to be fine.

I had a really had time getting it to hover in place.. the throttle control is way too sensitive for me.. especially when trying to make it rotate on its axis. I kept mixing up the throttle and forward/back too, especially when I would try to make it rotate

I tried the high/low rate.. on the high rate it definitely felt more responsive. And the automatic flip button is pretty sweet
You probably already know this, once you put the battery in, quickly set the X1 on a level surface, the gyros calibrate properly on a level surface during the rapid LED flashing, then hovering is pretty easy. Also some of us use the 9x radio, it is smoother and has a lot more range but no flip
--Oz-- is online now Find More Posts by --Oz--
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:11 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2004
150 Posts
I tried mode 1 today. The controls make more sense logically but it's a bit frustrating since I was just starting to feel confident mode 2 was hard to change. But I'll just be very conservative for a while until I get the hang of mode 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepokee95xj View Post
In my opinion (and only in my opinion) you Sir, are correct!
ronrc is offline Find More Posts by ronrc
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:16 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2013
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by --Oz-- View Post
You probably already know this, once you put the battery in, quickly set the X1 on a level surface, the gyros calibrate properly on a level surface during the rapid LED flashing, then hovering is pretty easy. Also some of us use the 9x radio, it is smoother and has a lot more range but no flip
yeah i mostly had a hard time getting it to maintain a certain height, and when i did have it at a good throttle level, i'd mess it up when i would try to rotate it.

i put some small strips of velcro on the inside of the removable silver plate that goes around the left control.. i'm hoping it will make it a bit easier to control until i get the hang of the throttle. at least i wont be prone to fast changes in the throttle

speaking of which.. the battery's charged again. maybe time to try another indoor flight. my cat is not pleased
frantik is offline Find More Posts by frantik
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:56 PM
GOT WINGS
siriusflier's Avatar
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
2,283 Posts
Oz, I did not say they had x1 motors, I said they have some 7mm motors at Tmart. Tmart also gives dimensions of their motors, so I ordered these: http://www.tmart.com/2Pcs-Main-Motor...r_p153741.html . I just ordered them yesterday, for the price, I figured they would be worth a try. I believe they are the same size as the X1 motors and the same as the V202, V939, Walkera ladybird, and others. I think I paid $2.59 apiece for X1 motors from BG and had to wait about four weeks for them. Some people on these forums say the only real difference in these small motors is the price I guess these might not have the right pinion gears on them, but you might be able to use your old pinions. I plan on using them for a direct drive DIY application or replacements for one of my direct drive quads.
siriusflier is online now Find More Posts by siriusflier
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:28 PM
Registered Quadcopter Abuser
jeepokee95xj's Avatar
United States, TN, Shelbyville
Joined Feb 2013
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frantik View Post
The X1 sure can take a beating! my first flight outdoors consisted mostly of smashing into hard walls and ground a bunch of times. one prop did get a bit bent, but I was able to bend it back and it seemed to be fine.

I had a really had time getting it to hover in place.. the throttle control is way too sensitive for me.. especially when trying to make it rotate on its axis. I kept mixing up the throttle and forward/back too, especially when I would try to make it rotate

I tried the high/low rate.. on the high rate it definitely felt more responsive. And the automatic flip button is pretty sweet
Quote:
Originally Posted by frantik View Post
yeah i mostly had a hard time getting it to maintain a certain height, and when i did have it at a good throttle level, i'd mess it up when i would try to rotate it.

i put some small strips of velcro on the inside of the removable silver plate that goes around the left control.. i'm hoping it will make it a bit easier to control until i get the hang of the throttle. at least i wont be prone to fast changes in the throttle

speaking of which.. the battery's charged again. maybe time to try another indoor flight. my cat is not pleased
Yeah i have found that the X1 is not indestructible, yet I remain convinced that it is almost completly crash proof. It doesn't have enough weight to hurt itself. I have slammed it into walls, the ceiling, the floor, and everything in between. It takes a lickin, and keeps on flippin, lol. If you drop, or in my case sling, something heavy on it though, you might bend a gear shaft, like I did. I remember thinking that the throttle was really touchy in the beginning as well, but it just feels right to me now. I still mix up the cyclic and thottle once in a while, lol, don't tell nobody. As i said, I've gotten used to it now, but i remember thinking that the rudder spring was too strong and the throttle too easy. That's what made it difficult for me at first to control yaw and altitude at the same time. Throttle management is key! It will come with practice. Maybe more quickly if u think about it like this: You can't expect to just set the trottle in any one spot and have the quad automatically hold a given altitude. It seems to me that you have to keep the throttle moving almost constantly, making adjustments as you go. Fast changes in throttle are ok, as long as they're the right ones. As u learn it just keeps getting sweeter. Once you get comfortable and start to use both sticks together in all dirrections, at all times, and really start flying the thing instead of just standin there with the Tx in ur hand trying to figure out whats going on, like I did at first, and start to make sweet, beautiful, smooth, banked turns... It's a wonderful feeling! Best of luck! Happy landings!
jeepokee95xj is offline Find More Posts by jeepokee95xj
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:37 PM
Registered User
shauntot's Avatar
Joined Aug 2005
405 Posts
just wanted to ask again...if anybody has any mods on how to increase the range on the stock tx (without having to buy a 9X)...it would be greatly appreciated because I'm only getting 50-ish feet from the stock tx. thank you
shauntot is offline Find More Posts by shauntot
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:40 PM
Registered Quadcopter Abuser
jeepokee95xj's Avatar
United States, TN, Shelbyville
Joined Feb 2013
31 Posts
Idk man. Seems to me, I get a lot more than that. Sounds to me like u have a deffective Tx.
jeepokee95xj is offline Find More Posts by jeepokee95xj
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:27 AM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2013
84 Posts
thanks for the tips jeepokee95! I did a lot better doing some inside flying and even managed to have some periods of something resembling controlled flight with somewhat steady altitudes. I think the wind was really messing me up before
frantik is offline Find More Posts by frantik
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:53 AM
Registered User
United Kingdom, England, Ware
Joined Aug 2012
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shauntot View Post
just wanted to ask again...if anybody has any mods on how to increase the range on the stock tx (without having to buy a 9X)...it would be greatly appreciated because I'm only getting 50-ish feet from the stock tx. thank you
There have been a few suggestions which I have tried but to be honest none of them were successful with a marked increase in range .
This post may result in someone shooting me down in flames so may come up with your answer
The 9x Tx is the way to go and if you look at the Bang Good site they are relatively cheap along with their free delivery procedure

Cheers Jim
Jimob23 is offline Find More Posts by Jimob23
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:51 AM
Registered User
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
9x makes a huge difference. Feels like a whole different quad. However, one of my motors is going, which has inhibited my fun for now.

But the 9x makes it very different. Not just range, but control too.
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:56 AM
Registered User
Long Beach, CA
Joined Sep 2006
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier View Post
Oz, I did not say they had x1 motors, I said they have some 7mm motors at Tmart. Tmart also gives dimensions of their motors, so I ordered these: http://www.tmart.com/2Pcs-Main-Motor...r_p153741.html . I just ordered them yesterday, for the price, I figured they would be worth a try. I believe they are the same size as the X1 motors and the same as the V202, V939, Walkera ladybird, and others. I think I paid $2.59 apiece for X1 motors from BG and had to wait about four weeks for them. Some people on these forums say the only real difference in these small motors is the price I guess these might not have the right pinion gears on them, but you might be able to use your old pinions. I plan on using them for a direct drive DIY application or replacements for one of my direct drive quads.
can you confirm once you get those motors in. To me they don't look to be the right ones at all?
specgie is offline Find More Posts by specgie
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:57 AM
Registered Quadcopter Abuser
jeepokee95xj's Avatar
United States, TN, Shelbyville
Joined Feb 2013
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frantik View Post
thanks for the tips jeepokee95! I did a lot better doing some inside flying and even managed to have some periods of something resembling controlled flight with somewhat steady altitudes. I think the wind was really messing me up before
Lol, Yw. Yeah, I don't especially care to fly outside. The lil thing is so light that the slightest breeze really messes with it. In fact, i wait untill I'm sure the HVAC is kicked off in my house before I fly. The best/most fun place for me to fly is in the Gym on Sundays. There's a great group of guys here that fly in a local school gym each week. If u hunt around u may be able to find a similar set up where u live. Have fun.
jeepokee95xj is offline Find More Posts by jeepokee95xj
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:35 PM
Registered User
--Oz--'s Avatar
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Mar 2006
1,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimob23 View Post
There have been a few suggestions which I have tried but to be honest none of them were successful with a marked increase in range .
This post may result in someone shooting me down in flames so may come up with your answer
The 9x Tx is the way to go and if you look at the Bang Good site they are relatively cheap along with their free delivery procedure

Cheers Jim
You could try the 2dBi dipole antenna, it helped out my friends about 30% more range, but nothing compared to the 9x.

What I havenít tried yet is a full wave antenna (just coax with the shield stripped off where the antenna starts) on the Tx (~120-123mm), if that does not work, cut it back to Ĺ wave or quarter wave.

It should be possible to marry a 9x module to the X1 Tx, they are ~$21 on eBay. P/N FS-TH9X-B-Module

If this is where your RC is going to end, then probably not get the 9x, but bang for buck it cannot be beat once you load er9x or open9x. I suggest the FlySky version, as it has the easy to remove RF module.

I am not a fan of the 9xr do to the increased cost (have to buy Rf module and Rx, but some folks go right to the FrSky system, but this is not compatible with our X1) and crappy 6 buttons on the bottom of the radio. For me it does not feel as good in my hands as the 9x does.
--Oz-- is online now Find More Posts by --Oz--
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Syma 2012 new publish, syma X1, S800G, S107C,S036G,what's better wjh041 Coaxial Helicopters 9 Jun 20, 2013 03:07 AM
New Product Syma X1 Quadcopter Spare Parts wjh041 Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 1 Nov 03, 2012 05:55 PM