HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:30 PM
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
1,870 Posts
My built micro is kind of heavy, it is my first attempt at DIY multicopter. I ordered the Syma X1 boards and motors before I ordered a WL 202 that could be here any day. I got the MJX rotors for it. I figure if I don't like my build, I can always use the parts on other quads. Sorry for posting this in the X1 thread, it should go in the DIY thread, but it is at least 50% an X1.
siriusflier is offline Find More Posts by siriusflier
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:51 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
5,841 Posts
Yup, Daryoon. You got it exactly right. Unlike the V949 board, the X1 board doesn't mark the forward orientation. But your last picture illustration is correct. Antenna is on the Left side.

There are no LEDs on the X1, although I'm thinking about ordering some and tap them into the board. It should not draw too much power. But I think I should add resistors. That's gonna add weight.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:56 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
5,524 Posts
My X1 board in a v929 perform like the stock radio t 100% rate. Even though I have it with -100 expo.

Big difference than the other night flying Heli Pad's real X1 with the same TX configuration.

I can only think of the gear ratio difference or motor being the culprit. Perhaps a combination of the two.

I will try giving it a aggressive output curve on the ail and elev channels to see if I can improve it's performance.

I tried using a v949 TX too. This TX can flip the X1. It flips great.

Need to put another battery through her.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:57 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
5,524 Posts
SMD resistors adds negligible weight. I would solder it on the LED bar themselves.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:59 PM
Joined Aug 2011
5,841 Posts
Battery Charging

The stock USB cable that comes with the X1 is a simple, non-intelligent (as in dumb) cable. It does not know when to stop charging.

I am assuming that the charging is stop by a OCP circuit hidden inside the stock battery. I'm assuming because I didn't break open the cap.

But I know that I'm working with a dumb cable, because I used it to charge a hobby grade Lipo, while I monitored the voltage of the battery under charge. The USB cable just happy charged away. My Lipo under test went passed 4.2 volt and the USB light didn't turn off (it suppose to go off an full charge and stop charging). It kept charging until it reached 4.30v when I aborted the experiment.

WARNING: DO NOT USE THE STOCK USB CABLE TO CHARGE UNPROTECTED LIPO!!!
Last edited by Heli Pad; Jan 02, 2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:04 PM
All thrust, no vector!
Valdosta Ga.
Joined Jun 2008
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Yup, Daryoon. You got it exactly right. Unlike the V949 board, the X1 board doesn't mark the forward orientation. But your last picture illustration is correct. Antenna is on the Left side.

There are no LEDs on the X1, although I'm thinking about ordering some and tap them into the board. It should not draw too much power. But I think I should add resistors. That's gonna add weight.
I tapped a string of lights with a mini slide switch off the power lines and it looks great. My install is kinda haggard, but in the dark all I see is the lights.

gyokeres is offline Find More Posts by gyokeres
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:14 PM
All thrust, no vector!
Valdosta Ga.
Joined Jun 2008
25 Posts
These will work.

http://www.amazon.com/Cold-White-Lig...ini+led+lights

Mine were nearly identical to this set. (More on that later) the circuit has a resistor in the battery box and runs off in the same voltage range as the little Lipo. Mine were red and, ok, to be honest, they were shaped like hearts, (I found them in a drawer and they were forgotten by the wife, don't judge me) but a set of side cutters trimmed them nicely into little plastic LED nubs exactly like the ones being sold here.

The power wire they are strung on is mildly stiff and moldable with a thin nonconductive coating. I used little dots of hotmelt to affix them around the frame and at the ends of the booms. There were enough lights to circle the frame and put at least two on each boom. If you don't want as many, just trim the line when you are done. They are wired in parallel. I ended up not using 8 lights from the end of the string.

If you are a gram counter, I imagine you are having an aneurism right now, but for night hoonage, this fits the bill nicely and flies great.

Here are some uploaded pics of it in the dark and a close up of the resistor and switch. Heavy? Perhaps. Cool? Oh, heck yeah. http://www.flickr.com/photos/photone...7632418763778/

I was still able to lift an 808 cam in a shrink wrap sleeve after this.
Last edited by gyokeres; Jan 02, 2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:20 PM
All thrust, no vector!
Valdosta Ga.
Joined Jun 2008
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post

WARNING: DO NOT USE THE STOCK USB CABLE TO CHARGE UNPROTECTED LIPO!!!
Don't tell my wife. I've been using her USB charger in the living room for a month without any drama to charge two 600mah batteries. Trust me, if one of those things had cooked off next to her, I would have heard all about it.

Forever.

When the light goes out, I unplug it. (it isn't even warm.) ill use a sack from now on and budget for a 1s charger.
Last edited by gyokeres; Jan 02, 2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:32 PM
Joined Dec 2012
2 Posts
Thanks Heli Pad. It's working and I am busy crashing. It's a tough little beggar.
redzed is offline Find More Posts by redzed
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:33 PM
Joined Aug 2011
5,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyokeres View Post
Don't tell my wife. I've been using her USB charger in the living room for a month without any drama to charge two 600mah batteries. Trust me, if one of those things had cooked off next to her, I would have heard all about it.

Forever.

When the light goes out, I unplug it. (it isn't even warm.) ill use a sack from now on and budget for a 1s charger.
I also read your comment in the other thread. I don't know what makes your USB light go off. I could not duplicate it. I also used 600 mAh Lipo. Mine just kept charging and charging. Had I not aborted the experiment, I didn't know what would happen.

Good luck and please be careful.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:42 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
5,524 Posts
Did gyokeres mention what lipo he uses? Perhaps the one he uses has the protection circuit build it already?
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:54 PM
All thrust, no vector!
Valdosta Ga.
Joined Jun 2008
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
Did gyokeres mention what lipo he uses? Perhaps the one he uses has the protection circuit build it already?

Great point.

I am using these. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o06_s00_i00

It does say they are not available any more.

Perhaps there is a circuit under the cap. Looks like I got really lucky in my ignorance, but that would have made a great story.
Last edited by gyokeres; Jan 02, 2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:59 PM
Joined Aug 2011
5,841 Posts
I have these, too. I just didn't use them in my experiment. I could try, but I'm not willing to risk them too far beyond 4.2v. They are my "good" cells.

Could you share with us what voltage you got when the light goes off?

p.s. Charging now... 4.17v and climbing.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:05 PM
All thrust, no vector!
Valdosta Ga.
Joined Jun 2008
25 Posts
Both are at 4.25v
I charged them on Monday.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:09 PM
Joined Aug 2011
5,841 Posts
4.23v now, I hate to go on. But since you said 4.25, I'd push a bit more.