SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:43 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Heli Pad's Avatar
Joined Aug 2011
6,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highly Grounded View Post
Should I bother waiting for the US warehouse to get them, or just order from international? Will they even let US order from the non-US store? (as you can tell, I've never ordered from that site)

Also, thx for the upgrade suggestions. The 959 looks like it would be fun (and the range on videos shows it blows the X1 range away!), but I am definitely looking for hobby grade now, and leaning towards a tricopter. The X1 wont go away though, my girlfriend and I have a blast flying ours together!
If you like the NanoTech, you should order now. They are OOS most of the time. HK hardly ever stocks these in the US warehouse. No point of waiting for that to happen. International shipping takes a while. Shipping is like $4 or $5. So just get a handful of them and spread out the shipping costs.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Last edited by Heli Pad; Feb 08, 2013 at 06:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:49 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Heli Pad's Avatar
Joined Aug 2011
6,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frantik View Post
yes I noticed they were pretty cheap compared to some other battery prices I had seen. I'll check out the charger options.. hopefully there is something that won't turn my $35 impulse buy into an actual investment

Has anybody taken the protection circuit from the stock battery and wired it to the stock USB charger? could it then be used with any battery? I guess you might end up sacrificing the stock battery though
Yes, that can be done.

I forgot if I have discussed here or not. But basically, I see three options:
1) $$$$. Get a good charger if you're serious about RC flying. It's a good long term investment.
2) $$. Get a V949 type AC Wall charger. It has crude OCP built-in. Not accurate, but it would not burn down your house.
3) $. Steal an OCP from dead battery or something and solder it in-line with the USB charging cable. Now you could use it to charge other batteries with no OCP.

For recommendation of chargers, see post #2.

EDIT: Thanks, Daryoon, for correcting my post. I meant to say that the V949 charger would NOT burn down your house. Kinda left out the word "not". LOL
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Last edited by Heli Pad; Feb 08, 2013 at 03:17 PM. Reason: would NOT burn down your house. LOL
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:55 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Heli Pad's Avatar
Joined Aug 2011
6,413 Posts
Another Battery Charger Option

Just added this new Battery Charger to Post #2:


80W 6A Battery Balance Charger with built-in AC PSU
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:46 PM
Learning more each day....
craigiri's Avatar
United States, RI, Portsmouth
Joined Nov 2012
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frantik View Post
is it safe to use the USB charger that comes with the X1 with these batteries?
Safe is always to a degree. I have used the stock charger to charge the batteries dozens of time - but I always use it when I am there (sitting at my computer working anyway)...

I have two stock and one replacement battery and they all work fine...

I will pick up a better charger sometime, but for a those who can pay attention, I think the USB charger can work to some degree.
craigiri is offline Find More Posts by craigiri
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:35 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Matt Halton's Avatar
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,900 Posts
Flew mine outside yesterday, handled winds impressively, I had my key chain 808 on board, went up to around 40' then suddenly flipped sideways and crashed...
Any idea why this is?

Thanks

Matt
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:36 PM
Registered User
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Jan 2011
340 Posts
Hi all- I have the x1 and am loving it-apart from the limited range- I have a turnigy 9x and removed the originl antenna and module and replaced it with a plug and play frsky module and added er9x for other rc projects already-I also have the new turnigy 9xr tx-as the old antenna is desoldered-I wonder if there is a way to solder the old 9x antenna to the stock x1 TX somehow at some specific point in the tx (and tape the antenna to the back of the stock tx) as a quick fix to extend the range of the x1 and its stock tx? Could this be done and extend the
range effectively?

Also my x1 isnt hovering easily hands off -even though I am correctly initializing it on flat ground-it flies towards the front right rotor direction- even with maximum full left trim and maximum full backwards trim on the right stick to counteract this, it still wants to go in that direction though to a lesser degree with the trim-its still flyable but not ideal- turning the front right rotor with my finger, it turns ok but is noisier than the other 3 (that turn much quiter and likely smoother)- a slight grinding noise coming from turning the front right rotor- I looked at the gear-all the teeth on the gears look intact - is this indicative of a bent rotor shaft or bent motor shaft? How do I get access to the shaft /motor after removing the rotor? (I don't want to break anything by forcing anything off incorrectly)..is it possible to straighten a bent shaft? Could it be anything else?

Thank you in advance
TheSelf is offline Find More Posts by TheSelf
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:11 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
pugsam's Avatar
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,527 Posts
My Stealthy Valentine

A seasonal take on improved orientation and visibility.....

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:20 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
pugsam's Avatar
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Just added this new Battery Charger to Post #2.....[/URL]
Is the wall plug for that charger European or American?

ps - Why is there so little love on this thread for simply getting extra 350 mah stock batteries from Banggood? I have four. They're not expensive, and so far I've found them to be good performers and I like how they snap into the battery cage.
pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:28 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Heli Pad's Avatar
Joined Aug 2011
6,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSelf View Post
Hi all- I have the x1 and am loving it-apart from the limited range- I have a turnigy 9x and removed the originl antenna and module and replaced it with a plug and play frsky module and added er9x for other rc projects already-I also have the new turnigy 9xr tx-as the old antenna is desoldered-I wonder if there is a way to solder the old 9x antenna to the stock x1 TX somehow at some specific point in the tx (and tape the antenna to the back of the stock tx) as a quick fix to extend the range of the x1 and its stock tx? Could this be done and extend the
range effectively?

Also my x1 isnt hovering easily hands off -even though I am correctly initializing it on flat ground-it flies towards the front right rotor direction- even with maximum full left trim and maximum full backwards trim on the right stick to counteract this, it still wants to go in that direction though to a lesser degree with the trim-its still flyable but not ideal- turning the front right rotor with my finger, it turns ok but is noisier than the other 3 (that turn much quiter and likely smoother)- a slight grinding noise coming from turning the front right rotor- I looked at the gear-all the teeth on the gears look intact - is this indicative of a bent rotor shaft or bent motor shaft? How do I get access to the shaft /motor after removing the rotor? (I don't want to break anything by forcing anything off incorrectly)..is it possible to straighten a bent shaft? Could it be anything else?

Thank you in advance
Getting the range of the 9x is on thing, putting the antenna on the X1 to get that is quite another. The T9x radio is so much more than the toy X1 radio. If I were you, I would see about getting the desoldered antenna on the back of the original Flysky module that you removed and plug that into either the 9x or the 9XR. That way, you could fly the X1 and everything that compatible with it, with the proper sticks and all the programming.

The only caveat is that you couldn't flip it, yet. I'm still hoping that one of these days, we could find the way to do that with the 9x.

As for your 2nd comment. There is definitely a deficiency from the right front quadrant. Whether it is a bad motor, gear, shaft or blades. That's the question. I would definitely start with the 2 easy ones. First, I would change the blades. Sometimes the blades could be damaged, bent in a crash and loose lift. Sometimes it is easy to see. Sometimes it is not. But you have a spare and changing it is so simple. I'd start with that one.

If that doesn't fix it for you, I would take an old toothbrush and start cleaning the gears. Sometimes it is hard to spot the debris stuck. So give it a good cleaning. If that doesn't fix it. The noise and the deficiency is coming from the shaft or motor. I could replace them, to at least swap them with another arm to see if the problem transfer, then you know for sure what to fix.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:28 PM
Registered User
shauntot's Avatar
Joined Aug 2005
409 Posts
Just flew my x1 last night just getting used to FFF on the little bugger. Battery was the hobbyking 600mah nanotech. When I landed the batt was at 3.2v. Flew for approx 22 mins. I don't know how that came about but that's what the stopwatch on my iphone said very happy with this little thing
shauntot is offline Find More Posts by shauntot
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:30 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Heli Pad's Avatar
Joined Aug 2011
6,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Is the wall plug for that charger European or American?

ps - Why is there so little love on this thread for simply getting extra 350 mah stock batteries from Banggood? I have four. They're not expensive, and so far I've found them to be good performers and I like how they snap into the battery cage.
I have the same question. Since I don't sell it or have it, I don't know. But the way that I see it, the power cord is pretty standard and easy to source. Otherwise, an adapter from the dollar store would take care of that situation.

ETA: But it is my belief that HK will ship with the right plug based on the location of the order.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Last edited by Heli Pad; Feb 08, 2013 at 06:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:45 PM
Learning more each day....
craigiri's Avatar
United States, RI, Portsmouth
Joined Nov 2012
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Halton View Post
Flew mine outside yesterday, handled winds impressively, I had my key chain 808 on board, went up to around 40' then suddenly flipped sideways and crashed...
Any idea why this is?

Thanks

Matt
The unit is vastly less stable with the camera! This becomes more and more true as the juice is sucked out of the battery.

Basically, you are asking for trouble by flying it in any winds with payload.

The exception might be if you stripped down the camera (out of case) and removed 5-10 grams of quad weight by some of the methods mentioned elsewhere.

I only use the cam in winds lighter than 5 MPH and with a fresh battery - and, I try to keep it stable. No tricks!

Here is in about 7 MPH today, and you can see it loses some stability...

Blizzard of 2014 - Feb. 8, from the Syma X1 (1 min 2 sec)
craigiri is offline Find More Posts by craigiri
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:46 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
Anybody have any experience good or bad with this charger???
http://www.xheli.com/skychb6durcc.html
dmzim is offline Find More Posts by dmzim
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:48 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2013
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Yes, that can be done.

I forgot if I have discussed here or not. But basically, I see three options:
1) $$$$. Get a good charger if you're serious about RC flying. It's a good long term investment.
2) $$. Get a V949 type AC Wall charger. It has crude OCP built-in. Not accurate, but it would not burn down your house.
3) $. Steal an OCP from dead battery or something and solder it in-line with the USB charging cable. Now you could use it to charge other batteries with no OCP.
thanks I ended up going with option 2 since it was only $3.50 for the wall charger. Also got 4 of those cheap batteries. If i decide to "get serious" about RC flying then I'll look into a better charger. I think i need to wait to actually get the X1 before i decide how serious I am though Fedex tracking says monday!

BTW the link on page one to the Nanotech batteries takes you to a sold out listing
frantik is offline Find More Posts by frantik
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:00 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Heli Pad's Avatar
Joined Aug 2011
6,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frantik View Post
thanks I ended up going with option 2 since it was only $3.50 for the wall charger. Also got 4 of those cheap batteries. If i decide to "get serious" about RC flying then I'll look into a better charger. I think i need to wait to actually get the X1 before i decide how serious I am though Fedex tracking says monday!

BTW the link on page one to the Nanotech batteries takes you to a sold out listing
Sounds good.

Thanks for the heads up. I have updated the link in page one.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Syma 2012 new publish, syma X1, S800G, S107C,S036G,what's better wjh041 Coaxial Helicopters 9 Jun 20, 2013 03:07 AM
New Product Syma X1 Quadcopter Spare Parts wjh041 Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 1 Nov 03, 2012 05:55 PM