HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:48 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by --Oz-- View Post
I love the bang for buck 9x with er9x firmware, zero range issue and better sticks and feel to control my X1. I mentioned I am over not being able to flip the X1 with the 9x. And slightly disappointing, even when I set the 9x to output 125% servo movement, it does not give me any more control over the stock Tx. I bought this because I want to get the hang of flying a quad before I get the (Red/White plastic arms) 330mm or 450mm quad from HK (I am more into pylon racing than FPV, so i will probably get the faster 330mm). This little thing has done just that, so I ordered 4 NTM (2826-1200kv) motors, 4 30A BlueSeries ESC's (I plan on flashing these, any pointers or links) from HK USA and will order the frame kit, KK2, props and misc later tonight.
I did basically is same thing -- started with a Syma x1 a bit before Christmas, and have since built an F330 with the KK2 board, er9x and the same motors you mentioned. (I used the 18A Turnigy Plush ESCs, but if I were doing it again I'd get the Blue series ESCs or something else that can be flashed with SimonK.)

My practice flying the Syma has definitely helped me with learning the bigger quad, although it's really in a completely different class. The 330 is loads of fun, and despite training on the Syma I've still broken more than my share of parts (not helped at all by the fact that I mostly fly in in front of my house, among lots of pavement and overhead wires... ). I recommend getting lots of spare props (3 or 4 full sets at least, A good crash will often damage more than 1), and a few spare arms for the F330 (I ended up getting a real DJI frame locally for its integrated power distribution board and using the HK clone as spare parts, the arms are interchangable). You may not need them as badly as I do, but it really sucks to need them and not have them on hand.
TheObstacle is offline Find More Posts by TheObstacle
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:53 AM
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim1357 View Post
Well it's not too late. I'll be at PIR in about 4 hours from now. Sunday the 3rd
Gah... dammit, I didn't see this until after it was done. Maybe I'll catch you next time...
TheObstacle is offline Find More Posts by TheObstacle
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:59 AM
United States
Joined Mar 2006
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdearth View Post
I already have a couple blade MQX quads but I got this one merely
because of the price and wanted to see how it flew.

I just received it and can not get it to bind.
I have followed the instructions exactly but all I get
is a fast blinking red light and then after attempting to bind
it just becomes a slow blinking light.
Nothing that I have tried will get it to bind.

Well it did bind once for about five seconds and then went back to the
slow blinking light and no control.

I hate to send it back even if Nitro accepts it because the
return shipping costs so much.

Anybody got any suggestions.

Tim
The slow blinking means no radio signal, verify you have good AA's in the Tx, also try holding the Tx very close to the X1 and bind. Try turning on the Tx first then X1, and try turning on the X1 then Tx when X1 is rapid flashing (just trying to cover the basics).

On my friends Tx there was a tombstoned cap on the Tx RF module, this was a supply filter cap, so it really did not effect it's ~80 foot range. But maybe a more critical component is making an intermittent connection.
--Oz-- is offline Find More Posts by --Oz--
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:05 AM
United States
Joined Mar 2006
2,110 Posts
I like night flying better for a couple of reasons, mostly no wind and I can see my X1 better than in the day with my LED's. I am running 20mA LEDs at 10mA each, where they are located, they can be seen from the top and bottom.
--Oz-- is offline Find More Posts by --Oz--
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:50 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhitesma View Post
I've noticed the same issue with the 9x though. Once the quad is powered up if the TX is shut off and then powered back on it will come back on full throttle even if the throttle is off. The throttle hold shouldn't make any difference since with the throttle off it should be at zero anyway. Even if the hold did somehow work as soon as you turned it off you'd be back to 100% throttle.

I've never seen this with anything else I've used my 9x on so I assume it's got to be something in the RX causing it..but I haven't ruled out something funky in my mix.

But on my 1x/9x that's the only way they will stay bound. If I turn the TX on first then power up the 1x even if it was bound before it will never bind and I'll have to bind manually again.

I'm just running into way too many issues with the 1x/9x pairing to use it right now and am sticking to the stock TX - but feel real limited by it's range. Wish I could figure out why my 9x isn't playing nicer with the 1x....
try this

make a new model in the tx and try rebinding quad from scratch! might not work but that's what i did when i set up mine and have had no issues with either one so far?

also if every one who has a problem with 9x/x1 combo posts board info and where they bought that x1 we might be able to track in down to version of board or firmware?

my boards are red and were bought on amazon
neobot is offline Find More Posts by neobot
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:21 AM
Joined Jan 2013
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier View Post
I use an air gun to blow dirt away. Sometimes I use a tooth brush to clean the gears. I have tried spray or liquid lubes that were recommended on these forums, they were supposed to be dry lubes, but they still left a residue that attracted dirt. I would not use wd40. The only thing I would use is a dry graphite or dry silicone lube. I have also had to use a sharp object such as a knife to get grit out of a tooth. I have used a qtip with rubbing alcohol to clean with some success. Or toothbrush with alcohol on it. Just some suggestions.
All good suggestions. Thanks!
leatherlips is offline Find More Posts by leatherlips
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:21 AM
Joined Dec 2010
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheObstacle View Post
Gah... dammit, I didn't see this until after it was done. Maybe I'll catch you next time...
No worries, I fly at PIR frequently and will send you a PM next time.
slim1357 is offline Find More Posts by slim1357
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:36 AM
Joined Jan 2013
6 Posts
Turnigy 9X

Slightly off topic and taking advantage of the knowledge here.....

Would the suggested Turnigy 9x unit also suffice for use with the IFLY4 too?

Just looking to get a decent budget Tx Rx for use with the Syma and IFLY.

Thanks for your time
jeb33 is offline Find More Posts by jeb33
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:08 AM
USA, IN, Nineveh
Joined Apr 2002
2,404 Posts
Thanks heli-pad and Oz for responding.

I tried the binding method in the faq as well as the suggestions
from Oz.
I can't send a video now because my camera is out of commission.

I got it to bind one time and it held for a few seconds, but before I could even try to fly it, it lost its bind and started the slow blinking again.
I think that something is making an intermittent connection.
I am going to call Nitro and see if they will replace it.

Tim
tdearth is offline Find More Posts by tdearth
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:10 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeb33 View Post
Turnigy 9X

Slightly off topic and taking advantage of the knowledge here.....

Would the suggested Turnigy 9x unit also suffice for use with the IFLY4 too?

Just looking to get a decent budget Tx Rx for use with the Syma and IFLY.

Thanks for your time
yep it will wor great for both and more
neobot is offline Find More Posts by neobot
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:29 PM
Joined Aug 2006
819 Posts
I treed my x1 today. Since I didn't have a chainsaw handy I had to climb the tree. I eventually got it down and finished the rest of the battery. The only damage was a scratch on my arm. the x1 is fine!

I love this thing!
derelicte is offline Find More Posts by derelicte
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:02 PM
Joined Dec 2010
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by --Oz-- View Post
Update to my 2dBi antenna mod (post #750, ~page 50). While it did improve the distance to ~130-150 feet from ~80, I am not happy with it. I fly a lot farther than that with my 9x and never had an range issue and the micro soldering is not easy for the majority of the pilots.

I will try another antenna mod and report back the results.

With my 4 LED's on the landing gear, I take my X1 over 200 and sometimes ~300 feet straight up at night, the 4 LED's almost appear as a single dot.

I love the bang for buck 9x with er9x firmware, zero range issue and better sticks and feel to control my X1. I mentioned I am over not being able to flip the X1 with the 9x. And slightly disappointing, even when I set the 9x to output 125% servo movement, it does not give me any more control over the stock Tx. I bought this because I want to get the hang of flying a quad before I get the (Red/White plastic arms) 330mm or 450mm quad from HK (I am more into pylon racing than FPV, so i will probably get the faster 330mm). This little thing has done just that, so I ordered 4 NTM (2826-1200kv) motors, 4 30A BlueSeries ESC's (I plan on flashing these, any pointers or links) from HK USA and will order the frame kit, KK2, props and misc later tonight.

My X1 has been good to me after 2 weeks of abuse with out a single broken part, now that I crash a lot less, I am ready to step up.
So I decided to go for it with an antenna mod. I got the cap tombstoned briefly but how the heck do you keep it in place? It wants to stick to any metal tool I try to use. I also am having a difficult time getting any solder to stick for a ground. How did you know where to ground the braid? Do I have another option? I'm using the old 2.4 antenna from a 9X module.
Is there an easier option like a larger 100pf cap I could purchase?
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:12 PM
Joined Aug 2006
819 Posts
you could try superglue.
derelicte is offline Find More Posts by derelicte
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:10 PM
Joined Dec 2010
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by derelicte View Post
you could try superglue.
For soldering?
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:43 PM
night is right for flight!
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Jan 2012
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim1357 View Post
No worries, I fly at PIR frequently and will send you a PM next time.
me too please?!

Oz, cool lights. where did you get those?!
thunnus is offline Find More Posts by thunnus