HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:49 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
8,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
That's true, so I'm not really sure what the advantage of using a Balance lead in this situation. I parallel charge mine all the time.

Best USA Motors? How about FORD?
I have read a lot about the whole "parallel vs. balance charge" stuff the last few months, as it seems to pop up in every thread (over and over even though it gets discussed everywhere ad nauseum ...)
Anyway (and just let me specify again, the previous sentence does NOT refer to any specific person, it is a observation you make if you jump around in as many threads as I do), reading this over and over has got me to accept that TECHNICALLY non of the methods has a clear advantage for the battery as long as you are dealing with 1S cells.
The PSYCHOLOGICAL advantage that balance charging has over parallel charging is priceless to me however.
I - and again, this is JUST me - simply prefer to SEE what is going on during the charge (and I have enough chargers and "equipment" to balance charge 12 1S batteries at the same time, so I guess the "parallel is faster" argument becomes moot for me. (theoretically I could charge 24 batteries in about 1.5h ... I guess this is far beyond enough ... ...)
So this is MY very personal reason for doing the balance charge thingy ...

Its obvious to me by now that it is mainly a philosophical question as to what method people pick at the end of the day
(I just wish more people could accept that because then we could finally lay those heated arguments, into which the charge questions usually evolve in almost all threads, to rest and go on happily with our "pilots lives" ... ...)
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:04 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2010
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunnus View Post
DAMN! i missed this post until just now. bummer, beautiful day in Ptown for flying or pretty much anything else for that matter. i did hook up with a buddy at his house for some mods and RC talk over a few beers and some quad night flying. give me a little more notice next time Slim and i'll try to be there!

nice lights HP! i followed your link and ordered a couple sets.
Well it's not too late. I'll be at PIR in about 4 hours from now. Sunday the 3rd
slim1357 is offline Find More Posts by slim1357
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:16 AM
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
Word of caution......bound my X-1 to a FS-TH9X Tx the other day no major issues flew great, a definite improvement over the stock Tx (obviously). Yesterday plugged the battery into the X-1 set it down let it initialize, then turned on the transmitter, all of this the way it normally works....as soon as I turned on the transmitter, the quad took off like a rocket, I shut the tx down and everything stopped. Tried it all again and the same thing happened. Thankfully no one was in the way and nothing got damaged. Curious I reversed the order, turned the TX on first and then plugged the battery in the quad, it bound and everything worked like normal. Now it could be that there is some setting in the TX that sends some signal at start up that caused the throttle to engage (and yes I ALWAYS double check that my throttle stick is all the way down) or something else that I am missing, and any suggestions would be welcome.

Either way when using this TX and this quad I would reverse the the order, TX on then quad.

And also caution that when fooling around with a new setup or equipment, be ready for the unexpected (I was not and got lucky as my grandson is usually right there when I am playing around with my "toys")
dmzim is offline Find More Posts by dmzim
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:25 AM
GOT WINGS
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
2,260 Posts
dmzim, Turning on the tx first is the most common way when initializing a heli/multi copter. Some of these toy copters tell you to turn on the tx after you plug in the battery. But turning on the tx before you connect rx battery and turning tx off after unplugging the rx battery is most common method
siriusflier is online now Find More Posts by siriusflier
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:30 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmzim View Post
Word of caution......bound my X-1 to a FS-TH9X Tx the other day no major issues flew great, a definite improvement over the stock Tx (obviously). Yesterday plugged the battery into the X-1 set it down let it initialize, then turned on the transmitter, all of this the way it normally works....as soon as I turned on the transmitter, the quad took off like a rocket, I shut the tx down and everything stopped. Tried it all again and the same thing happened. Thankfully no one was in the way and nothing got damaged. Curious I reversed the order, turned the TX on first and then plugged the battery in the quad, it bound and everything worked like normal. Now it could be that there is some setting in the TX that sends some signal at start up that caused the throttle to engage (and yes I ALWAYS double check that my throttle stick is all the way down) or something else that I am missing, and any suggestions would be welcome.

Either way when using this TX and this quad I would reverse the the order, TX on then quad.

And also caution that when fooling around with a new setup or equipment, be ready for the unexpected (I was not and got lucky as my grandson is usually right there when I am playing around with my "toys")
hobby grade you ALWAYS turn on tx first! also being a hobby grade tx you are allowed to set up and USE the throttle hold switch? its there for this very reason
neobot is offline Find More Posts by neobot
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:44 PM
USA, IN, Nineveh
Joined Apr 2002
2,404 Posts
I already have a couple blade MQX quads but I got this one merely
because of the price and wanted to see how it flew.

I just received it and can not get it to bind.
I have followed the instructions exactly but all I get
is a fast blinking red light and then after attempting to bind
it just becomes a slow blinking light.
Nothing that I have tried will get it to bind.

Well it did bind once for about five seconds and then went back to the
slow blinking light and no control.

I hate to send it back even if Nitro accepts it because the
return shipping costs so much.

Anybody got any suggestions.

Tim
tdearth is offline Find More Posts by tdearth
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:12 PM
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Mar 2006
1,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globel View Post
you wont over charge with a balance lead.

You wont over charge with a parallel lead either.

Balance charge means charge each cell in a 2S or higher pack to 4.20 volts (for LiPo). These single cell battery does not need balancing, there is nothing to balance with one cell.

Do they both work, yes, I would really like to see the series method data and how it is used.
--Oz-- is online now Find More Posts by --Oz--
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:15 PM
Joined Jan 2013
69 Posts
Does anyone know what the best method to clean the plastic gears are? I've landed in some sand/dirt a few times and I have used a compressor to blast off what sand/dirt I can , but thought if there were something I can do to make them smoother again. I have one that "hangs up" more than the other three. Can i lubricate the thing (with wd40 or the like)?
Thanks!
leatherlips is offline Find More Posts by leatherlips
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:36 PM
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
ahhhhh throttle hold switch, wondered what that was for set up and being utilized now!!!
dmzim is offline Find More Posts by dmzim
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:39 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Mar 2009
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmzim View Post
ahhhhh throttle hold switch, wondered what that was for set up and being utilized now!!!
I've noticed the same issue with the 9x though. Once the quad is powered up if the TX is shut off and then powered back on it will come back on full throttle even if the throttle is off. The throttle hold shouldn't make any difference since with the throttle off it should be at zero anyway. Even if the hold did somehow work as soon as you turned it off you'd be back to 100% throttle.

I've never seen this with anything else I've used my 9x on so I assume it's got to be something in the RX causing it..but I haven't ruled out something funky in my mix.

But on my 1x/9x that's the only way they will stay bound. If I turn the TX on first then power up the 1x even if it was bound before it will never bind and I'll have to bind manually again.

I'm just running into way too many issues with the 1x/9x pairing to use it right now and am sticking to the stock TX - but feel real limited by it's range. Wish I could figure out why my 9x isn't playing nicer with the 1x....
jhitesma is online now Find More Posts by jhitesma
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:44 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by --Oz-- View Post
You wont over charge with a parallel lead either.

Balance charge means charge each cell in a 2S or higher pack to 4.20 volts (for LiPo). These single cell battery does not need balancing, there is nothing to balance with one cell.

Do they both work, yes, I would really like to see the series method data and how it is used.
Not sure what you mean by "data", but if you are asking how it is done:
"Balance" or series charging with single cells: hook up the single cells in series so that N single cell batteries looks like one N cell battery. Then balance charge this one "N cell" battery.

Many balance charge setups can handle up to 6s. With this, one can charge up to 6 single cell batteries at the same time.

As you mention, both do work. Which to use? Probably dependent if one is easier for you to setup than the other (like is there a series/balance charging wire harness that you can buy versus a parallel charging wire harness).
I had to make my own harness, and a parallel charging harness is slightly easier to make.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:48 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherlips View Post
Does anyone know what the best method to clean the plastic gears are? I've landed in some sand/dirt a few times and I have used a compressor to blast off what sand/dirt I can , but thought if there were something I can do to make them smoother again. I have one that "hangs up" more than the other three. Can i lubricate the thing (with wd40 or the like)?
Thanks!
For me, I take a steel pick and poke at each gear tooth: not fast, but seems to work so far.

For lubrication, two things to be careful about:
*sand, grit, etc. often sticks to things like oil, which will just make harder to remove the sand, etc.

*some lubricants may dissolve the gear plastic
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:05 PM
GOT WINGS
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
2,260 Posts
I use an air gun to blow dirt away. Sometimes I use a tooth brush to clean the gears. I have tried spray or liquid lubes that were recommended on these forums, they were supposed to be dry lubes, but they still left a residue that attracted dirt. I would not use wd40. The only thing I would use is a dry graphite or dry silicone lube. I have also had to use a sharp object such as a knife to get grit out of a tooth. I have used a qtip with rubbing alcohol to clean with some success. Or toothbrush with alcohol on it. Just some suggestions.
siriusflier is online now Find More Posts by siriusflier
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:59 PM
United States, AR
Joined Mar 2009
520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherlips View Post
Thanks!
A soft toothbrush has worked for me.
Randbo39 is offline Find More Posts by Randbo39
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:18 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdearth View Post
I already have a couple blade MQX quads but I got this one merely
because of the price and wanted to see how it flew.

I just received it and can not get it to bind.
I have followed the instructions exactly but all I get
is a fast blinking red light and then after attempting to bind
it just becomes a slow blinking light.
Nothing that I have tried will get it to bind.

Well it did bind once for about five seconds and then went back to the
slow blinking light and no control.

I hate to send it back even if Nitro accepts it because the
return shipping costs so much.

Anybody got any suggestions.

Tim
Tim, welcome. I'd like to help, but I have little to go on. It sounds to me that you are no noob. I found the manual hard to understand. I wrote my own procedure in the FAQ of this thread, post #3. It may or may not help. But it wouldn't hurt, I guess.

Any chance of sharing a video of your problem? Perhaps one of us might spot something in it.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad