HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:39 AM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2004
150 Posts
Thanks. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim1357 View Post
I'm on the US west coast as well and I am always a little surprised at how quickly my tiny little orders from banggood get here. I've had 9 days once with the free shipping option. I figure why pay more for something that might not work any better than the free option? This kind of thing is really inconsistent. I have waited over 2 months in the past with other Chinese drop shippers.
ronrc is offline Find More Posts by ronrc
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:46 AM
Registered User
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
I think Quads, FP and CP helis all gives different kind of fun. It's like comparing apples with oranges.
Yes and no. I took the same stance when a quad was suggested as a step up to CP, I now feel I was wrong.

A flybar helicopter like the v911 will teach a little orientation. But as we know, it self levels and is pretty easy to fly.

The step up to CP (as that's what David wants to do) is a big one. It involves learning to program a controller, fly without the flybar, and the introduction of concepts like throttle hold, collective pitch, and idle up. That's a lot of steps up, there.

A flybarless copter is a great middle step between a quad and a CP. It's also going to cost nearly as much as a CP would. In that case, why not just get the CP and keep it in normal mode?

The reason I was suggested a quad, and the reason I suggested one to David in turn, is because it's got the similar flight quality to a CP in that it will continue going in a direction without counter-correction. You guys are getting into the flips and tricks - really? You think someone looking for the next step is going to pick up a CP copter (for scale flying, no less) and start flying inverted and doing barrel rolls? Or will they be spending hours just learning to hover it?

So in a next step from CP, as I explained in the other thread (David has brought the question to many different threads, which has been difficult as he's received different suggestions in almost every one of them) it would be a very inexpensive next step to pick up a quad BNF that will already work with the v911 controller he has. An easy $30 way to get to see and practice the difference in flight characteristics and get used to it.

As he said, he's into scale flying. I feel bad that he's asking the same questions in thread after thread and getting answers about flips and rolls. Quite simply, if he's got a v911, and wants to step up to a CP, he's looking at $100-150 invested. With no flight time, sim time, or experience beyond the v911 he's also looking at a lot of repairs while he's learning. I figure a nice quad would be a good middle step, cost only $30 or so, and will keep him having fun until the prices on all the new BL CP helis that are just hitting the market come down a little in price.

As for which QUAD, I would not recommend the X1 or 929/949 he's eyeing. As we know, they're very docile and large quads. I think something a little twitchier and smaller, like the 939, would be his best bet. That's from comparing my x1, UDIRC U816, and my 939 in between running batteries through my Super CP.

Is FLYING a quad anything like FLYING a CP? Not too much. But hovering, banking, small control inputs, these are all things that are very similar. Try banking a v911 in a living room. Now try a CP, or a quad. The CP and quad require a great deal more finesse, and "bumping" the rudder and aileron to keep it turning steady. Etc...

Okay - another big long two cents.

David - a suggestion, not that I mind typing a big long post, but try starting a "What's my best next step from a V911" thread afresh, maybe, instead of posting the question in all the different heli threads. That way you'll get a chance for a lot more people to give you their perspectives, but within the context of what's already being said. I can't help notice you're getting completely different advice in each thread.
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:02 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
664 Posts
Sorry for the question guys, but i got this battery from a Syma S113g Apache. According to specs, its at least a 500mah battery, maybe 600mah, and i wanna use it with my X1 that just arrived today.

Im a noob at this hobby, but trying to learn as fast as possible, but do u see in the pics below if the battery has an OCP? or do i have to charge the battery on the Apache to be safe?

Thanks guys
Tboost is offline Find More Posts by Tboost
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:07 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
erdnuckel2's Avatar
Joined Mar 2009
9,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyg View Post
hey Guys... regarding charging multiple Nanotech lipos , would it be safe if I made up a 6 female JST connector charging lead to a single XT plug, which in turn plugs into the harness that came with my Turnigy Accucell battery charger..
I have scoured the web here in the UK and they are asking really extortionate prices for a jst lead...

How would I go about setting up the charger to accomadate and safely charge the batteries...

cheers for any replies...

X1 is a fantastic and cheap real world flight sim

I have some 16swg wire left over from lengthning the leads on the ESC's on my scratch built quad
there are a lot of posts on here about how to charge batteries - the lead you most likely talk about is something like this (for parallel charging):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230580978475...84.m1423.l2649

Personally, however, I prefer charging with the Xtreme harnesses (I think that would be called "serial" once you do true balance charging)
Here is my youtube vid on how I do this for the msr style batteries - but Xtreme also makes (an) adapter/harness for JST plug:
http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=9446

mSR style battery balance charging (6 min 10 sec)


erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Why I L-O-V-E miracle mart ...
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:40 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Heli Pad's Avatar
Joined Aug 2011
6,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboost View Post
Sorry for the question guys, but i got this battery from a Syma S113g Apache. According to specs, its at least a 500mah battery, maybe 600mah, and i wanna use it with my X1 that just arrived today.

Im a noob at this hobby, but trying to learn as fast as possible, but do u see in the pics below if the battery has an OCP? or do i have to charge the battery on the Apache to be safe?

Thanks guys
Tboost, It's a little hard to tell from those pictures, because if there was am OCP, it will be under the tapes. I think I might have seen one, but I can't be sure. I'm gonna post a few pictures for you so you know what to look for. But I think you might have to look harder yourself, or perhaps even, peel off just enough tape to confirm.

Batteries w/o OCP would look like just having two bare, silver terminals. If you see under the tapes any resemblance of a (typically green) circuit board, and chips, it has OCP.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:04 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, Scotland, Stranraer
Joined Mar 2012
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim1357 View Post
I purchased a bunch of jst leads from hobbyking and soldered them in parallel to a deans style connector for my specific charger (onyx 260). I am charging 4 300 mah batteries at the same time. I set my charger for a 1s battery with a capacity of 1200 mah. If I only want to charge 3 of them at a time I have to change the charger for a 900 mah capacity battery. Does that make sense?
yep, sure does... cheers...
davyg is offline Find More Posts by davyg
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:02 PM
ITS ME DAVID's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2011
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim1357 View Post
I'm on the US west coast as well and I am always a little surprised at how quickly my tiny little orders from banggood get here. I've had 9 days once with the free shipping option. I figure why pay more for something that might not work any better than the free option? This kind of thing is really inconsistent. I have waited over 2 months in the past with other Chinese drop shippers.
I ordered some small stuff for my v911 heli on the 13th and nothing's came yet I'm in L.A
ITS ME DAVID is offline Find More Posts by ITS ME DAVID
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:09 PM
ITS ME DAVID's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2011
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arr0wHead View Post

David - a suggestion, not that I mind typing a big long post, but try starting a "What's my best next step from a V911" thread afresh, maybe, instead of posting the question in all the different heli threads. That way you'll get a chance for a lot more people to give you their perspectives, but within the context of what's already being said. I can't help notice you're getting completely different advice in each thread.
Thnks ill pickup a bnf v939 $35 isn't going to kill me lol
ITS ME DAVID is offline Find More Posts by ITS ME DAVID
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:17 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2004
150 Posts
Now that you posted it will probably come

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITS ME DAVID View Post
I ordered some small stuff for my v911 heli on the 13th and nothing's came yet I'm in L.A
ronrc is offline Find More Posts by ronrc
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:50 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Tboost, It's a little hard to tell from those pictures, because if there was am OCP, it will be under the tapes. I think I might have seen one, but I can't be sure. I'm gonna post a few pictures for you so you know what to look for. But I think you might have to look harder yourself, or perhaps even, peel off just enough tape to confirm.

Batteries w/o OCP would look like just having two bare, silver terminals. If you see under the tapes any resemblance of a (typically green) circuit board, and chips, it has OCP.
I see a green circuit and some chips, i think it has OCP then

Anyways, im putting 2 more pics, maybe u can see more clearer
Tboost is offline Find More Posts by Tboost
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:53 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2004
150 Posts
I tried removing the one screw and the first semi hard crash on hard dirt the rear little tab on the battery holder on the side that the screw was removed popped out of the frame and the battery went flying.

So I'll have to try the other battery holder mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Here's a snapshot with one of the screws in the battery cage removed. Also, I want to show you guys, my X1 has lights. I added them yesterday. They look nice at night. See post #2 for lights and other accessories.
ronrc is offline Find More Posts by ronrc
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:10 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
pugsam's Avatar
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,562 Posts
Improved orientation-assistance color scheme - aerial photos

Remembered that I have some Zebra-pattern duct tape, and decided that it's a cool-color-coordinate to the X1's black (rear) blades.

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:52 PM
night is right for flight!
thunnus's Avatar
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Jan 2012
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by --Oz-- View Post
The antenna was from an old 2.4GHz router.
I repaired motherboards and all the add in cards for 9 years before getting into engineering.
The 0201 (size) 100 pico Farad cap that I stand up is pretty small, see the second picture for reference.
holy crap that's small Oz!! i don't have the funds at the time for a 9x, thought i might try your tx antenna upgrade. NOT! i have neither the skills nor tools to attempt that kinda thing. guess i'll stick with my stock stuff until i can afford a better tx. is there ANYTHING easy we can do to get more range? cool stuff to see though, for us rookies, thanks for sharing.

@HP: let's see those lights lit up, maybe a pic or vid? i have some larger strip LEDs like that a friend gave me off his much larger quad, the little lipo on the X1 won't light them.
thunnus is offline Find More Posts by thunnus
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:02 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
pugsam's Avatar
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunnus View Post
.....@HP: let's see those lights lit up, maybe a pic or vid? i have some larger strip LEDs like that a friend gave me off his much larger quad, the little lipo on the X1 won't light them.
If you take off the X1's shell, the red LED is exposed and visible on the brick.

Shows-ups fairly well at night.

(See the second photo in my post just above yours.)

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:21 PM
Trees are bad
Stevez1kart's Avatar
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2012
127 Posts
Gray Saturday (1 min 59 sec)
Stevez1kart is offline Find More Posts by Stevez1kart
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Syma 2012 new publish, syma X1, S800G, S107C,S036G,what's better wjh041 Coaxial Helicopters 9 Jun 20, 2013 03:07 AM
New Product Syma X1 Quadcopter Spare Parts wjh041 Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 1 Nov 03, 2012 05:55 PM