SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:52 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
pugsam's Avatar
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neobot View Post
yea i guess it can be slow to respond but i really quite like it
Thanks, that was nice!

(I marvel at the people who walked by without even glancing at you or the quad, as it flew not far over their heads. What is it with people like that.....a total lack of situational awareness?......a feeling that it would be uncool to show any reaction?.....I've seen the same thing on this side of the pond, too......)

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:53 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Heli Pad's Avatar
Joined Aug 2011
6,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyg View Post
Folks: Please don't do what this video do!!! Don't try this at home.

To the poster of the video. I don't think you made the video. Even if you did, I mean no disrespect. But here's what's wrong with it.

Folks, if you are having a tough time with the stock battery holder and want to do the Velcro mod, by all means. I have no issue with that. But the video made a huge mistake in initializing a Quad. Watch from 1:10 again. After he turns on the radio (fine), and fumbles to get the Lipo plugged in, it took him forever to Velcro it. Meanwhile, pay attention to the Red LED, it started flashing and went solid while the X1 is still UPSIDE DOWN!!!!

You want to initialize the gyro on a flat surface, not in your hands!!!

So, please, don't do what the video do. Velcro it first! Plug in the battery last and flip it over and let it sit on the table to initialize.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:26 AM
Registered User
jhitesma's Avatar
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Mar 2009
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dferrey View Post
When using the 9x, how would I switch from low to high mode?
It depends. Are you using the stock firmware or custom firmware.

Generally you setup the mix so changing the setting of the DR switches changes the rates on various channels. But with er9x and other custom firmwares you can get a LOT fancier if you want. Even with the stock firmware you can get more than just "high/low" but it's a bit more complex (and honestly I haven't had the stock firmware on mine since the day I got it so I can't help with the stock stuff much.)
jhitesma is online now Find More Posts by jhitesma
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:34 AM
Registered User
jhitesma's Avatar
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Mar 2009
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neobot View Post
yea i guess it can be slow to respond but i really quite like it
Yep. I think it's all about expectations. For me this little quad far surpassed my expectations for a $40 toy. I wasn't expecting a speed machine or hobby grade experience. I was expecting something that would give me a feel for what flying a quad is like for less than the cost of one motor and ESC would cost for a "fullsize" quad. The fact that it's also incredibly durable and can do some fun flips is just icing on the cake.

Not it's not a super high performance machine. But it's easy to source, affordable, and easy to fly for beginners. My wife who won't even try my coaxial heli's had a blast with it this morning! My 2.5 year old daughter even wanted to give it a try last night (though she's a little overzealous on the sticks still!)

Considering that it's cheaper than I paid for either a havoc or a ornithopter just a few years ago and will far outperform either blows me away. And I'm not usually easily impressed by the speed at which technology advances

I really can't see anyone with realistic expectations being dissapointed by the X1.
jhitesma is online now Find More Posts by jhitesma
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:53 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Heli Pad's Avatar
Joined Aug 2011
6,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhitesma View Post
My wife who won't even try my coaxial heli's had a blast with it this morning! My 2.5 year old daughter even wanted to give it a try last night (though she's a little overzealous on the sticks still!)

I really can't see anyone with realistic expectations being disappointed by the X1.
Well put. And I love the part about your wife and daughter. LOL
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:57 AM
Registered User
Aerocowboy's Avatar
United States, TX, College Station
Joined Jun 2012
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhitesma View Post
Yep. I think it's all about expectations. For me this little quad far surpassed my expectations for a $40 toy. I wasn't expecting a speed machine or hobby grade experience. I was expecting something that would give me a feel for what flying a quad is like for less than the cost of one motor and ESC would cost for a "fullsize" quad. The fact that it's also incredibly durable and can do some fun flips is just icing on the cake.

Not it's not a super high performance machine. But it's easy to source, affordable, and easy to fly for beginners. My wife who won't even try my coaxial heli's had a blast with it this morning! My 2.5 year old daughter even wanted to give it a try last night (though she's a little overzealous on the sticks still!)

Considering that it's cheaper than I paid for either a havoc or a ornithopter just a few years ago and will far outperform either blows me away. And I'm not usually easily impressed by the speed at which technology advances

I really can't see anyone with realistic expectations being dissapointed by the X1.
+1. Absolutely.

I bought mine primarily for my wife to try, and to my surprise, she loves it. Low cost, low risk, good fun.
Aerocowboy is offline Find More Posts by Aerocowboy
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:08 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Heli Pad's Avatar
Joined Aug 2011
6,538 Posts
Sometimes, I really wish RCG would have a rating system for products and members.

For every products, there's gonna be someone who likes them, and someone who hates them. But it's a free country. Like people speak and rate the products, threads, and comments! So, others could see a rating in a glance! I think the Syma X1 will have lots of GREENs!
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:14 PM
Autopilot no control
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Feb 2013
281 Posts
Hi rcgroupers, new member here! Looking forward to the plethora of information here.

I bought 2 X1s for my girlfriend and I (she loves it) and stumbled upon this forum while researching this little wonder. I must say, this thing feels indestructible! I have launched it into ceilings, walls, hit the flip button accidentally many times only inches off the ground, cartwheeled it in a parking lot (don't fly in 15+ mph winds), and almost eaten by my dog!

I will start with 2 questions about lipo batteries. I am using the stock usb charger with my stock battery for now. Will using a usb 3.0 slot damage the battery opposed to a usb 2.0 since they can flow different amps? Will putting the usb into a usb-wall charger cause harm? Don't quote Ohm's law, my brain works mechanical, not electrical. And yes, I will order a new charger when I get more batteries.

Now for bigger batteries! Those nano tech 600s are sold out or overpriced everywhere! I was looking into the 750s as they are readily available and only 2g heavier (but I will have to replace the plugs). Anyone else have opinions on using these? I only notice one other post referring to the 750s (and on a modded quad).

I too am not happy with the battery tray, I feel like I need 3 hands to remove the battery! Until I replace it, what I did was remove one of the screws so the arm on the screw-less side is a little easier to unclip the battery, but it still holds tight when it is locked in. Quick mod for people waiting on velcro.
Highly Grounded is offline Find More Posts by Highly Grounded
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:23 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2006
817 Posts
that's a good idea about removing one screw. thanks!

any usb port/power supply that is capable of supplying 5v will work.
derelicte is offline Find More Posts by derelicte
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:32 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Heli Pad's Avatar
Joined Aug 2011
6,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highly Grounded View Post
I too am not happy with the battery tray, I feel like I need 3 hands to remove the battery! Until I replace it, what I did was remove one of the screws so the arm on the screw-less side is a little easier to unclip the battery, but it still holds tight when it is locked in. Quick mod for people waiting on velcro.
Great idea! Thanks for the suggestion. I took one screw off mine as suggested. It is a lot easier. But there is a little catch in the screw hole. First time I tried it, I though I broke something, but I didn't.

Also, I found the screw on the Tx battery pretty useless. I'd got rid of that one, too. Now we have spare screws for other projects. LOL.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:38 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Heli Pad's Avatar
Joined Aug 2011
6,538 Posts
Here's a snapshot with one of the screws in the battery cage removed. Also, I want to show you guys, my X1 has lights. I added them yesterday. They look nice at night. See post #2 for lights and other accessories.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:40 PM
Registered User
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
What I do, if you can picture it, is use the index fingers of both hands to spread apart the prongs that click the battery in place in the front. At the same time, I push the battery out with my thumbs from the bottom. I really don't see it as difficult at all, it pops right out.

However, once you switch to those larger batteries it won't matter, as you won't be pushing them all the way in to where they'd click in place. Instead those little pincers end up resting right where the cap on the battery starts. Haven't done any crazy outdoor flying yet, but it seems pretty darn snug. I've ejected batteries in crashes from everything I own BUT the x1.
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:44 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Heli Pad's Avatar
Joined Aug 2011
6,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highly Grounded View Post
Now for bigger batteries! Those nano tech 600s are sold out or overpriced everywhere! I was looking into the 750s as they are readily available and only 2g heavier (but I will have to replace the plugs). Anyone else have opinions on using these? I only notice one other post referring to the 750s (and on a modded quad).
Hobby King is having a hard time keeping the Nano Tech in stock. Every time they are back in stock, they get picked up by eBay sellers. That's why you see them on eBay for much higher price, turning a profit.

They were going for as much as $23 for 3 NanoTech. Like I suggested a short while ago, for $24 and change you could buy 10x Tigers 600mAh shipped!

Although I own a bunch of NanoTech, I don't see anything special about them. They are just Lipos. They are not any better Lipos.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:04 PM
Registered User
--Oz--'s Avatar
United States
Joined Mar 2006
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdandrea View Post
That antenna is just a coaxial dipole. If --OZ-- will give you the dimensions, they're easy to make. Just get some RG-174 coax, strip a couple of inches of the outer insulation (leave the braid intact), fold the braid back over the outside of the cable, trim each section (the folded braid and the inner conductor) to length, and slip some heat shrink over it.
The 2dBi Dipole antenna is 30mm long for both the active tip (inside wire of the coax, with outer shield removed) and the ground plane (tube).
--Oz-- is offline Find More Posts by --Oz--
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:27 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2006
817 Posts
I just removed one of the battery holder screws and it is much easier to insert and remove the battery now.

thanks!

there is a little tab on the battery tray and a standoff like part on the frame that I trimmed off so the arm can move more freely.
derelicte is offline Find More Posts by derelicte
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Syma 2012 new publish, syma X1, S800G, S107C,S036G,what's better wjh041 Coaxial Helicopters 9 Jun 20, 2013 03:07 AM
New Product Syma X1 Quadcopter Spare Parts wjh041 Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 1 Nov 03, 2012 05:55 PM