HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2013, 12:08 PM
United States, VA, Culpeper
Joined Dec 2012
234 Posts
Has anyone else noticed that the x1 at half throttle traveling in any direction flies quickly but as soon as you move to full throttle it automatically pulls itself straight upwards? This happens regardless of the lean angle when traveling in any direction. As soon as i move to full throttle it seems like the gyro stabilizes itself horizontally by default.
live2rc is offline Find More Posts by live2rc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:47 PM
Joined Dec 2012
2 Posts
Hi folks! Newguy on the forum here. I purchased the X-1 and can't get it to work.
Here's what happens: turn on Tx, light flashes 9 times then stays on.
Plug battery in quad, light flashes 5 times, then rapid flashing for 9-10 seconds. then, light flashes continuously.
Then moving the controls on the Tx: nothing, nada, zilch.
Any ideas will be appreciated.
redzed is offline Find More Posts by redzed
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:04 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,120 Posts
Try plugging in the quad's power source first. And DURING the rapid flashing, turn on the Tx to bind.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:53 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,595 Posts
So I got a chance to fly my X1 for the first time today. I flew it with 600 mAh Turnigy batteries and ran 2 4 minute flights on each battery (resting a few minutes between).

My first thought is that this quad feels very docile in comparison to my V929. It's got a slower response to elev/aile than the V929 but that makes it very easy to fly indoors. I was running at 100% on Elev, Aile, and Rudd. With that, my T9x felt more or less the same as the stock TX on high. I've since upped my travel limit to 125% for each of those 3 channels and so I'll give it a shot again later.

After each 4 minute flight, the motors felt very hot to the touch. I don't remember whether the V929 motors feel this way. I'll have to remember to check. So I'm glad my habit is to limit each flight to 4 minutes. Don't want motors to die on me unexpectedly.

I'm flying indoors for the next few months so I won't get a chance to test the auto flip feature. However, to be honest, I'd rather have a quad that I can fly at 100% with my T9x that does not flip. My V929 auto flips at full stick and that's good enough for me.
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:59 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,026 Posts
@RoboHeli:
Try also giving -50 expo for elev and ail. You can dial up or down from there. I feel the X1 really needs it for sports flying.

What I do love about it. It does not crash due to wobbly or confused gyro.

I did very aggressive maneuver to the point of being out of control. But if you're quick enough with the correction, it will respond properly for you to stabilize it without rolling over and crashing.

Because of this, you start to fly with a very low negative expo. I even flew it at -100 expo. And that thing banks at angles that's pretty cool. The v949 would definitely get confused and try over correct and be in the ground at the point.

Otherwise, you're right. Out of the box and linked up to the T9x., the X1 feels tooo docile. Good for beginners I suppose.
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:01 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
So I got a chance to fly my X1 for the first time today. I flew it with 600 mAh Turnigy batteries and ran 2 4 minute flights on each battery (resting a few minutes between).

My first thought is that this quad feels very docile in comparison to my V929. It's got a slower response to elev/aile than the V929 but that makes it very easy to fly indoors. I was running at 100% on Elev, Aile, and Rudd. With that, my T9x felt more or less the same as the stock TX on high. I've since upped my travel limit to 125% for each of those 3 channels and so I'll give it a shot again later.

After each 4 minute flight, the motors felt very hot to the touch. I don't remember whether the V929 motors feel this way. I'll have to remember to check. So I'm glad my habit is to limit each flight to 4 minutes. Don't want motors to die on me unexpectedly.

I'm flying indoors for the next few months so I won't get a chance to test the auto flip feature. However, to be honest, I'd rather have a quad that I can fly at 100% with my T9x that does not flip. My V929 auto flips at full stick and that's good enough for me.
Did you still have power left in the battery? I can fly my V949 for 10-12 minutes straight and the motors are barely warm. I'm surprised the lighter X1 would have hot to the touch motors after 4 minutes. Wow. Makes me regret ordering one now. That can't be good.
variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:10 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,026 Posts
I learn something interesting from Heli Pad's review. The X1 uses smaller 7mm motors versus the 8.5mm motors used on the competing quad of that size.

I always see the 7mm motors used on the ladybird sized quads with the directly fitted props.

We maiden the X1 on a relatively cold night. And I don't think we took note of how hot the motor was afterwards. It certainly seem to fly for a very long time.

I am really liking the price of the X1 on Amazon. Free shipping, retail box, two day to your door for $35? Wow. Wonder if 2013 will bring these quads down to the sub $30 mark?
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:13 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,595 Posts
The heli felt like it had plenty of power left when I landed. When I connected it to my AC6 charger, it was at 3.7V or so. At $35 for the quad, I'm not worried about wearing out motors so much. My MSRX motors used to feel like they were getting really hot too but I've got over a hundred flights on them and they're fine. Time will tell!

I'll go ahead and add some negative expo and try it out. Thanks, Daryoon!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:38 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,120 Posts
Robo, let me see if I read that right. You put a 4 minute flight on a 600mAh and it has 3.7v left? I didn't time it the other day, but Daryoon and I surely flew more than 5 minutes, and I have more left on the batteries. It was a cold night. I think my toes are still frozen. LOL. Didn't really check for the motor temp. I'll do that next time.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:43 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,120 Posts
To be fair, Daryoon, we are Amazon Prime members. So, we don't pay shipping and get it in two days. Most people would get it in 5-8 days. But that is still a long way better than what it takes to ship from China. For the price and convenience, I'm willing to cut the X1 quite a bit of slack.

Robo, I hope the expo and limits help you out. We were using Daryoon's T9x the other night and the X1 was quite lively. I should get Daryoon's model file on my T9x so that I don't have to create one from scratch. Hint, hint, Daryoon.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:34 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Robo, let me see if I read that right. You put a 4 minute flight on a 600mAh and it has 3.7v left? I didn't time it the other day, but Daryoon and I surely flew more than 5 minutes, and I have more left on the batteries. It was a cold night. I think my toes are still frozen. LOL. Didn't really check for the motor temp. I'll do that next time.
Sorry I wasn't accurate there. I flew for 8 minutes. I just break each battery into 2 4-minute chunks for 8 minutes total. It had the same battery performance as my V929.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:29 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,120 Posts
Guys, my X1 has a Red FC board. When looking for replacement parts, I saw a White board and a Green one. What do you all have?

Anyone knows the development history, timeline?
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:30 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,595 Posts
I've got a red PCB on mine.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:32 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,026 Posts
I am curious how different each PCB flies.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:36 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,120 Posts
Another member (Heliosphan) pointed me to the following video. That x1 was pretty lively. Start at 1:20 if you want to see it flies.

Syma X1 Quadcopter - Maiden Flight (with Review Commentary) (3 min 30 sec)