HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:12 PM
GOT WINGS
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
2,281 Posts
papagriz, I have a couple of Gensace 500mah batteries that I got from X-Heli or one of the affiliates. They are at least as good as stock v929 batteries. Value Hobby also has some 500mah batteries.
siriusflier is offline Find More Posts by siriusflier
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:34 PM
Joined Jan 2013
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman134 View Post
So I've jumped on the X1 wagon too, after being into the 5g6s a few years back, I was looking for something new. Anyhow, I've killed my first X1, and as a warning to others I figured I'd share. I'd been having good luck with it, flying nicely outside, without too many bad crashes. Then after one successful flight, it seemed as if one of the forward motors went bad, though it would spin up, it was not at the proper RPM and it would not take off or fly straight.

SO, I replaced the motor. Rather than splice the wire I decided to re-solder directly to the board. After the replacement, now when I turn it on , both front props spin opposite what they should. I tried "fooling it" by reversing the polarity on both front motors, but that didn't work, it just would not fly at all. The only thing I can think which happened is my that solder iron is probably more wattage then I need, and I overheated something near the motor connections, or ESD from the iron zapped it. I ordered another one X-1, so now I have a parts quad. Next is a Turnigy radio.
Reversing the polarity will not reverse there direction. These are Brushed motors... they only work the direction they were designed to run.
Globel is offline Find More Posts by Globel
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:41 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2010
534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by youloveben View Post
Great to hear about the indoor Portland space; let me know where to find ya!
Will do. I will send a PM as the time frame I have the space available gets closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globel View Post
Reversing the polarity will not reverse there direction. These are Brushed motors... they only work the direction they were designed to run.
That is not true. I use these 7MM motors on a DIY rc blimp I made. I disassembled a micro servo and used it as a reversible esc. The motors work better in one direction than the other but they definitely work both ways. If you run them "backwards" they will likely not last as long.
slim1357 is offline Find More Posts by slim1357
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:46 PM
United States, AR, Lead Hill
Joined Jan 2013
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
Hyperion 1s 550mAh's (~US$6 each, plus shipping) seem to work well on such size quads (from reading the mQx thread and personal experience on an mQx).

One warning: The first post on this thread mentions that the X1 stock charger can overcharge a non-stock X1 battery (a battery without an overvoltage cutoff).
Thanks llama, these are about $5.00 more but, I am an old impatient individual, so I will be sending my order for these.

Yes I have read and will heed the warning posted. So with that said, I was looking at several chargers, that would charge 4-6 packs at a time.

Any input would be higly appreciated.

Thank you,

Al (PaPaGrizz) Nelson
PaPaGrizz is online now Find More Posts by PaPaGrizz
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:58 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,212 Posts
Quote:
Please double check your facts. If brushed motors do not reverse directions, then I don't know how my S107G flies forward and backward.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:01 PM
Learning more each day....
United States, RI, Portsmouth
Joined Nov 2012
565 Posts
I have just replaced an X1 Motor today and can confirm that reversing the wires will reverse the spin of the props.

As a bit of additional information, if you buy the "generic" motors (I think these are 7mm?) whic also fit the Hubsan X1, then simply matching up the wire colors should do the job.
craigiri is offline Find More Posts by craigiri
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:03 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaGrizz View Post
Thanks llama, these are about $5.00 more but, I am an old impatient individual, so I will be sending my order for these.

Yes I have read and will heed the warning posted. So with that said, I was looking at several chargers, that would charge 4-6 packs at a time.

Any input would be higly appreciated.

Thank you,

Al (PaPaGrizz) Nelson
Nelson, you will find my recommendation on batteries and chargers in Post #2, in the beginning of this thread.
Basically, if you are looking to get a good one, capable of charging multiple batteries, the B6AC would be a great choice, and it will support you in this hobby for a good long while. If you're looking to save some money and get a basic charger with OCP to charge these non-protected cells, you could get the V929 Charger.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:19 PM
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
I've been flying with the 600 Mah batteries I mentioned earlier in this thread. Great flying time, plenty of punch, and a good price. I too went the route of picking up another stock 949 charger, but listen to Heli - buy a nice $25 charger and go grab an old computer power supply to run it. The Imax B6 comes with the connectors you'll need to charge the X1 batteries. You can also pick up a few multi-battery balance harness and you can balance charge them. The charging is much faster, safer, and I found that the stock battery chargers weren't actually charging my batteries correctly at all.
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:32 PM
Joined Jan 2013
69 Posts
Battery "holder"

Recently bought my first quadcopter (the x1) and am learning as I go. I ended up buying several 600mah Turnigy batteries so I could continue practicing a reasonable amount of time when I get a chance to fly it.
My question is about how to attach these new larger batteries. I've seen the velcro, and also the zip tie examples. I tried both. But, being a new flyer, I'm pretty rough on the x1 and the velcro didn't hold the battery securely enough. I'm thinking perhaps because the amount of velcro backing that was stuck to the x1 was only a little since it was stuck on in the middle of the "x" (center). Not really sure but the batteries kept coming loose after a few hard "landings".
The batteries kept sliding around in the zip ties, but that could be that I didn't tighten them enough.
Are there other options that others are using? Just looking for alternatives. THANKS!
leatherlips is offline Find More Posts by leatherlips
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:04 PM
Trees are bad
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2012
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherlips View Post
Are there other options that others are using? Just looking for alternatives. THANKS!
I make battery holders using 3/4 shrink tube that I buy from Home Depot, 2 short pieces for $2. I make a wood form the exact size of the battery except longer and wrap with it clear packing tape so it's smooth. Heat shrink the tubing over the form. You can trim some squares or triangles out to lighten it up before you CA glue it to your Quad frame. The hardest part is removing the tube from the form. I put the uncovered end of the form in a vise so it's just barely free and use a punch to drive the form out of the tube. You may may want to put some baby power on the form before you shrink. The shrink tube will hold it's formed shape unless you reheat it.
Stevez1kart is offline Find More Posts by Stevez1kart
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:02 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,481 Posts
How are folks' delivery times from Banggood?

I just today received a charger that I ordered 20 days ago.

I'm guessing that's about the norm.

But I'm still waiting on some LiPo's that I ordered at the same time as the charger.

Hope there's no delay on those.....

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:22 PM
Joined Jan 2013
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim1357 View Post
Will do. I will send a PM as the time frame I have the space available gets closer.

That is not true. I use these 7MM motors on a DIY rc blimp I made. I disassembled a micro servo and used it as a reversible esc. The motors work better in one direction than the other but they definitely work both ways. If you run them "backwards" they will likely not last as long.
Let me clarify. They are meant to run in one direction... The direction the Brushes are aligned. They will run backwards causing damage to your brushes. If the motor is Old and used It might not run in reverse because the brushes simply will not allow it. In any case Running it in reverse you will notice the motor is not running up to spec (Or at all in some cases).

it is a much better practice to buy left hand rotating, and right hand rotating motors accordingly.

And I don't think the syma s107 has a motor that go'es in reverse. I might be wrong.
Globel is offline Find More Posts by Globel
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:25 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,212 Posts
Chinese New Year Approaching!!!

I has been about 3 weeks for me also. If any of you are thinking about placing an order from China, don't sit around too long. Chinese New Year is Feb 10. It is a big national holiday. Factories are likely to get shut down like some of us do here around Christmas and New Year. You could easily be looking at 3 weeks of no operation. Do not delay much longer!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:27 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,212 Posts
Quote:
And I don't think the syma s107 has a motor that go'es in reverse. I might be wrong.
Of course it does. I'm talking about the tail motor that control the forward and backward movements. It has to fly both directions as well.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:37 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
I has been about 3 weeks for me also. If any of you are thinking about placing an order from China, don't sit around too long. Chinese New Year is Feb 10. It is a big national holiday. Factories are likely to get shut down like some of us do here around Christmas and New Year. You could easily be looking at 3 weeks of no operation. Do not delay much longer!
You mean like this???
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon