HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:40 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier View Post
gyrokeres, I am building a micro quad with the Syma X1 board and motors. If it works, I will let you know.
I had lots of problems doing that and finally gave up
I don't have a clue why I can't get it working with Ladybird sized motorarms (UDI)
I soldered some 1.25mm sockets on the PCB to connect the UDI motorarms.
This hybrid didn't fly well and I don't know why. No power, fast drained 300mah lipos
I haven't had such problems with my v939 / v929 and H36 boards.
mystman is online now Find More Posts by mystman
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:23 PM
All thrust, no vector!
Valdosta Ga.
Joined Jun 2008
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier View Post
gyrokeres, I am building a micro quad with the Syma X1 board and motors. If it works, I will let you know.
Can't wait to see it. Care to elaborate? No pressure, not with all of us aware of it now and everything.
gyokeres is offline Find More Posts by gyokeres
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:32 PM
Joined Dec 2012
3 Posts
I have a Syma X1 (my first quad) and I'm having a blast flying it.

I keep wondering though how it compares to the popular micro quads like the Walkera QR Ladybird, Hubsan X4 and the WLToys V202.

I know they are different sizes which may mean different characteristics but given my lack of quad experience I don't really know what that means in practice. Also, they may not be at equivalent price points but for someone coming from the Syma X1 and looking to feed the growing addiction, the next price point is definitely in that range for me.

Anyone who has flown the Syma X1 and any of the others care to contrast and compare?
somebodyelse is offline Find More Posts by somebodyelse
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:04 PM
United States, VA, Culpeper
Joined Dec 2012
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by variantman View Post
Just ordered a X1 off Amazon. They had them for $34.95 with free s/h. Couldn't resist. Only the bnf V929 on Banggood for $32.99 is cheaper.

I think it's nice that the tx is V949 compatible (along with the batteries) and lighter. Which makes it more mod friendly. And posssibly fpv friendly?
The X1 lifts my 808 keychain cam easily. I also bought 2 600mah turnigy nano techs off ebay and they give me 10+ minutes each while carrying the cam.
live2rc is offline Find More Posts by live2rc
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:26 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,309 Posts
Thanks for the awesome review, Heli Pad!!! I'm so glad that there's finally an "official" home for the owners of this mini quad.

I also succumbed to the Amazon price this month and placed an order for one. I was a little concerned after I did that it was going to be a duplicate of my V929 and so I'm really excited to hear that it won't flip with the T9x. I've got one of the earlier V929 rev boards that flips on high rates so the X1 will make a very nice complement to the V929.
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:30 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
5,837 Posts
Nice drawing, Massive! It looks just like the PCB. Amazing!

Bwoollia, it is not uncommon that these toy radios do not have a strong antenna. Several of the late model toys all have the appearance of an antenna stick out at the top of the radio, but when you open it up, it is just a piece of hollow plastic. Even so, I've been getting pretty good range with them.

That didn't explain why you were having a connection issue. I wish you have another radio to test with. Then you could determine whether the problem is on the Tx or the Rx side. If you are handy with the a soldering iron, you should try to re-solder the antenna on the Rx board, or better yet, solder a piece of wire, 6cm in length to the board. That way, you have an antenna that is 1/2 wavelength, rather than 1/4 wavelength. See if that helps. Sorry, I couldn't offer more. Perhaps you got a bad sample and could exchange for another one from the seller.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:44 AM
Joined Aug 2012
140 Posts
Will this bind to a DX8?
Iplumb is offline Find More Posts by Iplumb
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:07 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iplumb View Post
Will this bind to a DX8?
NO, it's only FlySky (9x) compatible
mystman is online now Find More Posts by mystman
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:12 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2010
515 Posts
Mine should be arriving today. I'm putting my micro fpv setup on it. Can't wait.
Is anyone looking into what makes it flip on the stock TX? I would love to be able to program a flip switch on my 9x.
slim1357 is offline Find More Posts by slim1357
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:27 PM
Joined Aug 2011
5,837 Posts
Please let us know how the FPV setup works out. The flip switch is in the same boat with the V949. We have yet to find that magic signal. Would be sweet to assign it to the Trainer switch, wouldn't it?
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:32 PM
Canada, MB
Joined Feb 2012
505 Posts
I received mine today. Slight damage to battery box area...but I am amazed at how much it lifts. I attached my camera http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ory_card_.html and it lifts it without any issue.

I need to figure out how to mount it better as the camera orientation is that the camera sits up and down the long way.
Flying By is online now Find More Posts by Flying By
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:37 PM
Canada, MB
Joined Feb 2012
505 Posts
I will also add that I was skeptical about the transmitter before I purchased it...thought it would be really toy like. I am used to Spektrum tx's.

I again am actually impressed with the little tx that it comes with. No, it is not a Spektrum, Futaba, etc...but for $40 total (shipping incl) it works well and feels ok in my hands. It is smaller than a regular tx and has some fake buttons for looks, but all in all feels okay.

Low rates are VERY low on this quad. I just played around indoors (-26 C here today). High rates are good, even indoors. I bet it can get going pretty fast on high rates.
Flying By is online now Find More Posts by Flying By
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:13 AM
Joined Aug 2011
5,837 Posts
Battery & Charger

Have you been charging the stock battery with the provided USB cable? If so, what has been you experience with it? Does it work okay? Or, does it overcharge the battery?

The USB cable seems "simplistic" to me. I think it is a "dumb" cable. So, my theory is that the battery has an OverCharge Protection circuit inside the cap. Obviously, I haven't destroyed mine to peek inside.

Anyone else could offer their observations and info on the battery and charger?
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:15 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2010
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Please let us know how the FPV setup works out. The flip switch is in the same boat with the V949. We have yet to find that magic signal. Would be sweet to assign it to the Trainer switch, wouldn't it?
UPS GRRRRR! I hate being patient. Looks like I wont have it until tomorrow when my job gets bonkers busy. Hopefully I will have some time to set up the fpv gear in the early morning. Shouldn't take too long.
slim1357 is offline Find More Posts by slim1357
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:16 AM
All thrust, no vector!
Valdosta Ga.
Joined Jun 2008
25 Posts
I've been charging all my batteries with the USB charger for a couple of months now with no issues. I just pull them off as soon as the light goes off. Just in case.
gyokeres is offline Find More Posts by gyokeres