SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:55 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,572 Posts
Heheh Cool flight.

Visited Portland once for work. Beautiful place. Love how the mountain and pines tree line are nearly within arms reach. So different than San Diego.

Was that the 808#16 with B lens?
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:02 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,691 Posts
Nice job! My 808#16 is on the way. Can't wait!
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:04 PM
Trees are bad
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2012
127 Posts
@youloveben. Great fun, son does't look too impressed though. I've been thinking the x1 would make a good 808 platform so I ordered a 16 a few days ago. Seems to work really well.
Stevez1kart is offline Find More Posts by Stevez1kart
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:04 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeb33 View Post
This question maybe premature for now but what would you recommend moving onto once the X1 is mastered or mutilated? (Wrong Thread?)
If you want to do aerobatics (flips, rolls, etc.), my suggestion would be one of the following: Blade mQx (with a better Tx than the stock Tx), Walkera Ladybird v1 or Walkera Ladybird v2 (but get a better Tx to use than the stock Tx).

The mQx is about the same size as an X1. The Walkera LB's are a bit smaller.
These small quads will let you practice manual flips, rolls, etc.
The larger quads will not have auto flip, so if you flip or roll, you will need to do it it manually.
What is so good about manual flips, etc.?: with manual ones, you can vary the size of the loop made, change 1/2 the direction of the flip mid-way through it, etc.

What is good about practicing on an mQx or LB first is that like other small not so powerful quads, they are slowish and small (less damage to what it hits when it crashes) and durable (less damage to it when it crashes).

One thing bad about an mQx or LB is that like larger quads, their basic, stock Tx's are not so good for trying to control all of this, so you will probably need to get a Tx that has variable rates and possibly expo.

Assuming you have neither a DSM2 (for mQx) nor a Devo (for LB) Tx, the mQx will probably cost more, but be easier to see (being larger).
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:05 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1 Posts
New guy just stopping in to say HI. When I heard the great reviews on these and found out they were only about $40, I had to try one out. After flying mine around for just a bit, I began to think "WOW - if this is what I can buy off the internet for $40, imagine what the government has buzzing around when then can spend billions! I might take a closer look the next time a fly or mosquito is buzzing around my face!

As I can never leave well enough alone, I began to modify after a few 'stock' flights. Mainly cutting off a bunch of weight. The difference in flight behavior is very noticeable and for the better! If anyone is interested, here are the weights I recorded all in grams:

Bumblebee w/batt. as received 67.16

350mAh LiPo Battery 10.79

Battery 'cage' and screws 0.93
Bumblebee Body 5.71
Plastic circuit cover and screws 1.15
Round 'brace' of center spar 2.85
Replace battery cables with pins 1.34
Shave bottom loop off landing pads 0.45

Current flight weight with mods 54.73

Weight reduction 12.43g, 18.5%

I still see a few more grams which could pretty easily come off. I also want to try to get some RPM and thrust readings in the stock form, then lube up the shafts and gears with a friction reducing dry film lube I have and see if I can get anymore thrust/RPMs out of the motors.

The other mod was removing the 'joy sticks' from the controller and just using the little nubs molded into the plastic 'balls'. Seems much easier to control with just a tiny flick of the thumb vs flipping around those big baseball bat sticks.
quadguy is offline Find More Posts by quadguy
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:20 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadguy View Post
New guy just stopping in to say HI. When I heard the great reviews on these and found out they were only about $40, I had to try one out. After flying mine around for just a bit, I began to think "WOW - if this is what I can buy off the internet for $40, imagine what the government has buzzing around when then can spend billions! I might take a closer look the next time a fly or mosquito is buzzing around my face!
Welcome, QuadGuy! Are you suggesting that I zapped $10 million of our tax dollars last night with my $3 HFT fly swatter?
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:22 PM
Joined Jan 2013
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeb33 View Post
This question maybe premature for now but what would you recommend moving onto once the X1 is mastered or mutilated? (Wrong Thread?)
Go to http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/militar...he-drones.html
Click "Watch The Program"
Scroll to 43:00

That should give you an idea

(Actually, the whole show is worth watching)
rdandrea is offline Find More Posts by rdandrea
Last edited by rdandrea; Jan 24, 2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:29 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,572 Posts
Welcome Quadguy. Nice first post.

All these quad appeared in a very short time frame. Can't wait to see what the next year brings.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:59 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2010
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by youloveben View Post

(Portland X1 crew really should plan a group flight, especially once I get a decent Tx)
A portland meetup would be cool but it does appear we are back to a rainy pattern for now. Which is fine with me because it's snowing at Timberline again, finally!

If you get a 9x and need er9x firmware installed I can help you with that.
slim1357 is offline Find More Posts by slim1357
Last edited by slim1357; Jan 24, 2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:08 PM
Photographer
Joined Oct 2012
11 Posts
@Daryoon That's the D lens, which is very fragile and usually doesn't handle wrecks like that. I already had one die on me, and from a rather mediocre crash! The problem is that the D lens sticks way out from the case and the only way to protect it well *also* limits the overall field of view. I like the wide angle. But mounting it in a way that keeps the angle and protects the lens has been a challenge.

@Stevez1kart Yes he's perpetually glued to video games after school. He appreciates the heli's for the chance to chase them down, but says that flying "stresses him out". LOL

@slim1357 Thanks, I'd appreciate that. Hunting for one for a little, but every time I have the budget available, everything's already backordered. Guess I just have to get in line...

As for Timberline, I have some friends here working on 360-degree panoramic video, using hexacopters and such... Here's a view of the concept, used on the mountain. Of course, youtube doesn't do 360-video yet, so it's presented in it's rectilinear format:
360Heros 360 Video Mount Hood,Oregon (1 min 41 sec)
!
youloveben is offline Find More Posts by youloveben
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:20 PM
United States, AR
Joined Mar 2009
520 Posts
Nice video Youloveben.

Did you do anything to dampen the vibration on the camera? My videos come out with a high frequency vibration that put things slightly out of focus. Yours seemed to be sharp.
Randbo39 is offline Find More Posts by Randbo39
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:36 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,802 Posts
Quote:
New guy just stopping in to say HI. When I heard the great reviews on these and found out they were only about $40, I had to try one out. ...

As I can never leave well enough alone, I began to modify after a few 'stock' flights. Mainly cutting off a bunch of weight. The difference in flight behavior is very noticeable and for the better! If anyone is interested, here are the weights I recorded all in grams:

I still see a few more grams which could pretty easily come off. I also want to try to get some RPM and thrust readings in the stock form, then lube up the shafts and gears with a friction reducing dry film lube I have and see if I can get anymore thrust/RPMs out of the motors.
If you are interested in a bit more power and responsiveness, you can try an mQx or V929. They are both the same size as an X1, but they both use 8mm motors instead of 7mm, and they both have ball bearings for the prop shafts.
Also, if you use GWS props instead of the stock props for an mQx or V929, that will increase thrust, etc. a bit more.

Quote:
The other mod was removing the 'joy sticks' from the controller and just using the little nubs molded into the plastic 'balls'. Seems much easier to control with just a tiny flick of the thumb vs flipping around those big baseball bat sticks.
Easier to control if you are trying to move the controls quickly. Harder to control if you need to move those controls precisely (when a little too much or too little makes a big difference). Which you want to do depends on which quad you are flying and what you are trying to do.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:01 PM
Joined Dec 2010
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by youloveben View Post
@slim1357 Thanks, I'd appreciate that. Hunting for one for a little, but every time I have the budget available, everything's already backordered. Guess I just have to get in line...

As for Timberline, I have some friends here working on 360-degree panoramic video, using hexacopters and such... Here's a view of the concept, used on the mountain. Of course, youtube doesn't do 360-video yet, so it's presented in it's rectilinear format: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJM4V...ayer_embedded#!
This is the same radio. Cool video, a little dizzying in that format.
slim1357 is offline Find More Posts by slim1357
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:26 PM
Photographer
Joined Oct 2012
11 Posts
@Randbo39 - No I just enswathed it in some gentle foam, like the kind found in Pelican cases and such. The lens sticks out a bit from the front of the foam shield (The weakness of the 808 D lens), but essentially foam plus electrical tape. Dampened, slightly.

@slim1357 - Ya, the 360 pano video is far cooler when you can navigate the field of view with your mouse. Seeing it all at once hurts the brain a little. We do that whole Google Street View thing, for interiors. The guys at 360heros have stepped the idea up a notch...

Thanks for the link to hobbyparts' FS-TH9X. I hadn't seen that... A little steep but worth it, I'm sure.
youloveben is offline Find More Posts by youloveben
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:39 PM
night is right for flight!
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Jan 2012
40 Posts
Thing 1 & Thing 2

a little over a year ago i got my first Syma S107, then a bunch more, then S026, S111, etc. all good indoor fun.
then came the Double Horse 9053, then 9101 with the ability to fly outside, barely.
my first venture into the world of quads started this past Christmas with Syma's very affordable X-1. somehow i ended up with two, after adding some LEDs stolen from old S107s, i decided to name them Thing 1 & Thing 2:
Thing 1 and Thing 2 (0 min 43 sec)

both Things have the connectivity issue Heli Pad has described here, intermittent LOS (loss of signal). i am using the stock TX, can't quite afford the 9x yet. Thing 2 seems to have more severe LOS for some reason. is this issue widespread and does the 9x resolve it?? i am also using the stock battery chargers but am considering moving up to a pair of 600mAh or maybe just get a couple more stock 350mAh.

Thing 2 has developed an issue with one of the motors, seems weak. so much so that i have to compensate. after flying a LOT this past month and of course multiple crashes with the 4ch learning curve, i'm not sure if that motor is getting tired and needs replaced, or if there is another issue. any guesses?
thing 2 motor issue (0 min 10 sec)

yes the rain has returned and we may not see a string of clear/dry days in the PNW for a long time, but i would definitely be interested in a get-together in the PDX area! maybe even find someplace to fly indoors??
thunnus is offline Find More Posts by thunnus