SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:48 AM
United States
Joined Mar 2006
2,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
FYI, For those who are interested in the HK T9x V2 Mode 2, they just got a shipment. If you hurry, you could get one (just click below):

TX-9X-M2
Best bang for buck, unless you want telemetry, then go 9XR with FrSky (DJT or DHT).
--Oz-- is offline Find More Posts by --Oz--
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:42 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,686 Posts
I know I bought one during last summer V2 and cost to my door was $79.00 from Hobby king. I can not tell you how many hours I have used it and 100% flawless operation. I have two V929's Syma X-1/ several V911's bound to it.
Big turn off when I first got it no instructions. Screen stock is hard to see as very dark. Instuctions are online. They do offer back lit lite to read screen. Very fine deal. With this radio I retired five toy TX's. Same for my Walkrea 7 TX retired another five. DX6i retired two more.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:10 AM
United States, AR, Lead Hill
Joined Jan 2013
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyokeres View Post
It has a flip button (they call it "eversion") //snerk//. Push the right stick and press the button and it flips in that direction. Without the button the max AOA is about 25-35% (kinda hard to measure, it's moving pretty fast at that angle. I added lights to mine and wired them to a switch. Does anyone think I'm damning myself to less responsiveness from the added weight? I bought some 600mah blade 120 batteries, so the battery life isn't a huge factor for me. It got dark before I was home from work, daddy needs to fly!

I can't wait for my 9xr to get here. I thought I was stuck with the stock tx and probably would have never even tried to bind it. That's the best news I've heard all day.
Howdy gyokeres,

New, old guy here ready to jump on the quad wagon.

I have several syma s107g's and I fly the poop out of them, so when I saw syma has a quad, well I felt like a kid again...Just got to have it!!

Anyhow, after reading the reviews on the wl 949 I am torn between the two. Untill I read in your post above that you have led's wired to your X1..

If you would be so kind as to elaborate (in simple, old man terms) what you used and how you did this, I will be very grateful and will be getting the X1 asap..

Thank you,
Al (PaPaGrizz)
PaPaGrizz is offline Find More Posts by PaPaGrizz
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:21 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2010
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaGrizz View Post
Howdy gyokeres,

New, old guy here ready to jump on the quad wagon.

I have several syma s107g's and I fly the poop out of them, so when I saw syma has a quad, well I felt like a kid again...Just got to have it!!

Anyhow, after reading the reviews on the wl 949 I am torn between the two. Untill I read in your post above that you have led's wired to your X1..

If you would be so kind as to elaborate (in simple, old man terms) what you used and how you did this, I will be very grateful and will be getting the X1 asap..

Thank you,
Al (PaPaGrizz)
Not gyroketes but if you look through my attachments you can see how I did it and what leds I used. If you are comfortable soldering small wires then it should be no trouble. Gyroketes claimed he wired his to a switch but I'm not sure how he did that. Mine are always on.
slim1357 is offline Find More Posts by slim1357
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:28 PM
United States, AR, Lead Hill
Joined Jan 2013
146 Posts
Quote:
Not gyroketes but if you look through my attachments you can see how I did it and what leds I used. If you are comfortable soldering small wires then it should be no trouble. Gyroketes claimed he wired his to a switch but I'm not sure how he did that. Mine are always on.
Thanks for the reply slim, I'll take a peek after awhile..
PaPaGrizz is offline Find More Posts by PaPaGrizz
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:36 PM
GOT WINGS
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
2,492 Posts
I put leds on one of my quads with a micro switch I can turn on and off. I just glued the switch onto the bottom of the frame, switch came out of an old piece of electonics, smallest I could find. Soldered wires directly to the battery leads. I actually used leds from a battery operated christmas decoration. It already had resistors with it. I put the leds all the way out at the end of the booms and motor mounts. Out there pointed away from center, they are more visible to me and easier to distinguish orientation than the leds on a quad that came with them - inside the motors and pointed straight down.
siriusflier is online now Find More Posts by siriusflier
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:41 PM
United States
Joined Mar 2006
2,112 Posts
If you eventually break the X1, you could put larger FET's on that drive the motors and use this all in one board for a larger DIY quad.
--Oz-- is offline Find More Posts by --Oz--
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:15 PM
Joined Feb 2009
363 Posts
I cant believe I just read all 37 pages. The one thing I'm most curious about is using the GWS props on the X1. Depending on the type of plastic I could see how heating up an allen wrench(hex key) could work but why not just have a set screw? It works in rc cars with the pinion gears on the motors so why not.

On a separate note here is my story if anyone wants to know:
I got my X1 on christmas and have been flying it ever since. I usually run the turnigy nano tech 600mah batteries with no problems at all, even with charging them with the crappy little charger from the X1.

I then got my technology teacher to buy one which is now stuck 35 feet up on a ledge but seriously stuck on something else up there. We tried using pvc pipes in a bunch of different configurations to get it down but they bent way too much. The final attempt so far was with mine that we put two arms in the front and tied a string to it so when it got stuck we could at least save mine. So far it's still up there and it will be two weeks this coming Friday that it's been stuck. He did buy a new one though but if we save his and it doesn't work I get to have it!
RCdudeJF03 is offline Find More Posts by RCdudeJF03
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:37 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCdudeJF03 View Post
I usually run the turnigy nano tech 600mah batteries with no problems at all, even with charging them with the crappy little charger from the X1.
A word of caution. You do understand that you are charging the unprotected Nano Tech with a USB that doesn't know when to stop, right? I mean what you do is your business. I sincerely hope that you realize the situation you're dealing with. If you're unsure about what I'm saying here, please ask a question.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:48 AM
Joined Jan 2013
6 Posts
I would like to say once again many thanks for your kind responses to my very basic questions, am having fun just trying to get the X1 to hover, need more space but its too wet outside just now - Snow is fun - for a short time

So whilst I await the 60-70 mins charging time (More batts in the post) I have been watching various youtube videos of other very large quads with some talented pilots, gosh they make it look all so easy. I'm still finding it difficult to hold the hover and turn left and right with the same stick..... but the learning curve is reasonably steep.

This question maybe premature for now but what would you recommend moving onto once the X1 is mastered or mutilated? (Wrong Thread?)
jeb33 is offline Find More Posts by jeb33
Last edited by jeb33; Jan 24, 2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:42 AM
Joined Dec 2010
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeb33 View Post
I would like to say once again many thanks for your kind responses to my very basic questions, am having fun just trying to get the X1 to hover, need more space but its too wet outside just now - Snow is fun - for a short time

So whilst I await the 60-70 mins charging time (More batts in the post) I have been watching various youtube videos of other very large quads with some talented pilots, gosh they make it look all so easy. I'm still finding it difficult to hold the hover and turn left and right with the same stick..... but the learning curve is reasonably steep.

This question maybe premature for now but what would you recommend moving onto once the X1 is mastered or mutilated? (Wrong Thread?)
I would say go with more micro quads. Get one that is more agile than the x-1 and start trying to fly more aggressively. The reason I say this, is I started with several micro helicopters before going to a 450 sized quad. While something can be said for jumping into the deep end to learn how to swim, I wouldn't recommend it. I had a tandem rotor coaxial, the Mcx twin rescue as my first 4 channel and it was more valuable than a sim in training my thumbs. When I was ready for a larger quad, the experience I had paid off in spades. I was able to recover in odd orientations and I already had my thumbs trained for coordinated turns.

The nicest thing for someone starting now and not two years ago is how freaking cheap everything has got. The quality of the Chinese made helicopters has gone way up too. Stay small for now and when you get a larger one down the road, you can whip that thing around like Warthox.
slim1357 is offline Find More Posts by slim1357
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:03 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,460 Posts
Yes, stay small. These RTF quads all the chinese manufactuers are putting out are great trainers. And parts are cheap. Easy to replace too. It's just four arms and they are essentially the same thing.

Then, when you're ready...another small quad will be out. RC Logger's Xtreme brushless. It's MQX sized and lots of power. I think it will be a good gateway into the bigger brushless quads with programmable Flight Controller.
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:28 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,622 Posts
+1. Stay small. Check out Hubsan x4. On sale now at MassiveRC.com.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:32 PM
Joined Jan 2013
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
Then, when you're ready...another small quad will be out. RC Logger's Xtreme brushless. It's MQX sized and lots of power. I think it will be a good gateway into the bigger brushless quads with programmable Flight Controller.
As always, Thanks for the replies!!!

I can see I will be buying a few of these micros, not least for spares Would love to see the Xtreme, any links?
jeb33 is offline Find More Posts by jeb33
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:48 PM
Photographer
Joined Oct 2012
11 Posts
Hello everyone! I can't believe I just read all 37 pages either, phew... and thank you all for the amazing information. I can't wait to hack this sweet intro quad more!

Here's my maiden flight with the 808 #16 mounted atop with some velcro:
As boys grow up, the toys get cooler (4 min 27 sec)

Chasing a hummingbird around ended up in an epic little crash. Call it karma. And I know, sneaking up on my lad like that isn't safe... but boy was it funny!

(Portland X1 crew really should plan a group flight, especially once I get a decent Tx)
youloveben is offline Find More Posts by youloveben