HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:38 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim1357 View Post
After watching your video, I'm pretty sure we live in the same city. Subarus everywhere!

I did the same experiment minus the oscilloscope. I noticed that when pressing the flip button and trying to yaw, the servo I hooked up didn't move at all. I'm not sure what's going on. If this could be replicated in ER9X and put on the trainer switch, that would be way cool.

@thunnus: Here are the leds I have been using that come with resistors and photos of them soldered to my X1 board. I used a little tiny wire for each connection and hooked them up in parallel to the main power pads on the board. I got these at Tammie's Hobies in Beaverton OR. Looks like the website on the packaging is still up.

Good eye! Yes, I'm also in Portland -- just set up this account, so I hadn't put my city in my profile yet.

I also go to Tammie's Hobbies sometimes. Since I live in S.E. it's not the closest hobby shop for me, but their selection is much better than the one in my part of town.

I took a quick look through the ER9X source. It's some dense reading, but I didn't immediately see anything in the code for the PPM encoding that would do anything like this.

It's entirely possible (even likely) that the Syma transmitter isn't actually setting up the pulses with the timing I'm seeing, but is instead doing something slightly wacky with the encoding that causes the 9x receiver to output bad data on channels 4-8. We might need some expertise from the forums the er9x developers frequent to figure this out...
TheObstacle is offline Find More Posts by TheObstacle
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:40 PM
Canada, MB
Joined Feb 2012
505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by specgie View Post
Are those 600mah nano-techs you're flying your X1 with? If so how are the flight times? Have some on the way and with my weight-mods i'm anticipating good flight times. My current AUW with hubsan board, leds and the stock 350mah lipo is 53grams.
On my Stock X1 (batt box removed) with 600mah nano tech - 13-15 min
Flying By is offline Find More Posts by Flying By
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:45 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poulsbobill View Post
Well. that was fun. Was taking video and it fell out of the air at about 50 feet.

Any idea on how to get a little more range. Since their is no real antenna on the TX, holding it up/ down sideways? Rx antennae orientation?

Had one flight up maybe 100 feet but this last one no go.

Thanks

Bill

The last 5 seconds are fun!!

http://youtu.be/3s1ftvqvzPE
Maybe a WLtoys tx might help?
variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:12 PM
a little kid at heart
Poulsbo, Wa
Joined Sep 2004
1,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by variantman View Post
What is that? Where?

Bill
poulsbobill is offline Find More Posts by poulsbobill
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:15 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
5,822 Posts
Quote:
Well. that was fun. Was taking video and it fell out of the air at about 50 feet.

Any idea on how to get a little more range. Since their is no real antenna on the TX, holding it up/ down sideways? Rx antennae orientation?

Had one flight up maybe 100 feet but this last one no go.

Thanks

Bill

The last 5 seconds are fun!!
Hi Bill, that definitely looked like and sounded like a signal drop on your X1. And by my estimation from the tree height, it must not have been more than 30' up in the air.

To improve range, you need to stand on your left feet, use your right hand to touch your left ear, and sing kumbaya backwards.

I don't know what to tell ya. I've been trying to hunt down my own signal issues. What's interesting is that the X1 never lost communication with my T9x. It only does it with the stock Tx sometimes. Other times, I could fly it as far as the eye could see. Yesterday, I was flying close to trees and power lines. I saw a few signal losses, but I was able to recover before it hit the ground. It "seemed" to me that I lose communication more when the X1 was high. I don't know if fly close to the power lines had anything to do with it. At the same time, I was able to fly it out like 80-100 feet before I saw any drop of signals. It's so intermittent - but so annoying when you couldn't control it when you least expected!

But yesterday's flight was kinda of spontaneous. I didn't have alkaline batteries with me to test. Rechargeables were at 3 bars. In the next few days, I'm gonna do more testing.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:18 PM
Joined Aug 2011
5,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by variantman View Post
I'm gonna test that, too. But in theory, they have the same fake/trace antenna. I'll let you know. But first, I need to find a night when the X1 is doing terrible for me to test these other alternatives.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:23 PM
Joined Aug 2011
5,822 Posts
Quote:
What is that? Where?

Bill
I think VMan was talking about one of these:

WL-V949 Tx

As I indicated in the review, it is fully compatible with the X1, even down to the flip button.

But don't go running to buy one of these, yet. I don't know if it offers better range. I have one and I'll test it when I get time. Plus, there are lots of people with extra Tx lying around. You might be able to score one cheap.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:19 PM
Long Beach, CA
Joined Sep 2006
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying By View Post
On my Stock X1 (batt box removed) with 600mah nano tech - 13-15 min
Sweet. My x1x4 has the hubsan board, 4leds with magnet wire, lightened frame, shortened booms motor covers removed and other misc. Diet mods for an all up weight of 53 grams with the stock 350mah lipo. Getting about 7 solid minutes right now with sporty flying and hoping for at least 10-11 minutes with the added 5grams from the 600mah nanotechs. Will do more extreme diet mods if I feel the need but I like how much throttle out and aggressiveness she has right now.
specgie is offline Find More Posts by specgie
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:27 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
I've never had a range issue flying my V949. I don't do fpv, but I've put an orange nose ball on it before and have flown it as far as I could see/safely orientate it with the stock tx.

By the way, I'd put the V949 at 100% on the tx for the X1. Also, the yaw feels a little slower on it compared to the X1's tx.
variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:57 PM
a little kid at heart
Poulsbo, Wa
Joined Sep 2004
1,206 Posts
Agree. Seems to be random. Like i said i was way way up with no problems a couple of times. Then on this flight maybe 1/2 as high and bang, no control.

Would soldering an antennae to the trace help? 1/4 wave right?

Increasing the rx length? But they are loaded correct?

Like to go way up again with the camera but a little spooked now.

Bill
poulsbobill is offline Find More Posts by poulsbobill
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:17 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheObstacle View Post
I did put the scope on the other channels, and I don't _think_ their rate changed when I pressed the flip button, but I'm not 100% sure. I'll throw it on the scope again this weekend and double check.
Here is a possibility for what you think you are seeing: the main channel transmission interval is ~20ms (and send channel 1 to 4 information at each interval), but only send channel 5 information about every fourth 20ms interval (so then channel 5 only shows up once every ~80ms).
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:27 PM
Joined Dec 2010
513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheObstacle View Post
Good eye! Yes, I'm also in Portland -- just set up this account, so I hadn't put my city in my profile yet.

I also go to Tammie's Hobbies sometimes. Since I live in S.E. it's not the closest hobby shop for me, but their selection is much better than the one in my part of town.

I took a quick look through the ER9X source. It's some dense reading, but I didn't immediately see anything in the code for the PPM encoding that would do anything like this.

It's entirely possible (even likely) that the Syma transmitter isn't actually setting up the pulses with the timing I'm seeing, but is instead doing something slightly wacky with the encoding that causes the 9x receiver to output bad data on channels 4-8. We might need some expertise from the forums the er9x developers frequent to figure this out...
Yeah, whenever I see an aerial video from Portland or Seattle, even if I don't know the exact neighborhood, something looks familiar and clues me in.

My LHS is Hobbies Unlimited on Interstate. Very old school but he'll order anything you need if you pay up front. Coyote in Oregon City has everything and then some. I don't make it down there often though.

I know next to nothing about software or programming. The first time I saw the config file for MultiWii I wanted to cry. I do know that in many of the firmwares for things like the KK board or Open Pilot you can change the stick scale or sensitivity of the sticks in the firmware, sometimes to the point where the quad is barely controllable and will flip easily. Have you looked at any other open source quad software? Most are PI or PID control loops. I'm sure the v929, X1 etc are all using something similar to control them. If they are capable of flips, they are certainly capable of having a lot more cyclic authority in regular flight.
slim1357 is offline Find More Posts by slim1357
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:57 PM
rather fly, but this'll do
Portland, OR
Joined Feb 2008
782 Posts
Nice, sounds like we've got a Portland X1 jamboree in the making.
krefi is offline Find More Posts by krefi
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:06 AM
Joined Dec 2010
513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krefi View Post
Nice, sounds like we've got a Portland X1 jamboree in the making.
Yea if this stupid inversion ever clears. Freezing fog every morning and no new snow on the mountain...
slim1357 is offline Find More Posts by slim1357
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:11 AM
Joined Mar 2008
505 Posts
Flipping Hell how do i flip my X1 (please help)

Hi guys

I want to flip my X1 in my Village hall tomorrow , the hall has a ceiling height of about 35 foot and a lot of space.

Half the UK is coverd in snow at the moment and its windy so i cant try a flip outside, but im dying to flip my X1

So if any of you guys have fliped the X1 can you give me a step by step guide to how to flip my X1

What buttons do i press and what stick inputs do i have to do ??

The X1 manual is in (CHINGLISH) so i dont get how to flip the X1

So i dont want to fing crash my X1 when im flipping it

So if one of you guys know how to flip, please can you post step by step instructions . In english not (CHINGLISH)

LOL i might even video my first attempt to flip the X1 and post it here
richos is online now Find More Posts by richos