HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:29 PM
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Mar 2006
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunnus View Post
@roboheli: really liked the mQx light kit you suggested, but they aren't taking orders until april =(

@slim1357: have any pics or video? sounds very cool! i'm very new to mods and am about to buy my first hobby soldering iron and start adding LEDs to my fleet. so you do suggest using resistors with these lights? just one per and if so on which lead? hot or ground?
I suggest the Hacko knock off soldering iron from hobbyking. Killer deal for what your getting. and you can use genuine Hacko tips, they are ~$2 each and last a very long time.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...h_US_Plug.html

Also, they have them in different warehouses and input voltage (110 to 220 Vac)
--Oz-- is offline Find More Posts by --Oz--
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:04 PM
Joined Jan 2013
45 Posts
So what's the best way to get my X1 out of a tree about 50 feet up and beyond tree climbing? Strong winds won't bring it down. A perfect football throw may get it down, but it'd take 100 throws to get it for sure and I'd lose the ball by then. Maybe the fire department needs some practice with its ladder truck.
whitet777 is offline Find More Posts by whitet777
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:13 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitet777 View Post
So what's the best way to get my X1 out of a tree about 50 feet up and beyond tree climbing? Strong winds won't bring it down. A perfect football throw may get it down, but it'd take 100 throws to get it for sure and I'd lose the ball by then. Maybe the fire department needs some practice with its ladder truck.
Wait! That's three Kosem reports in one day! I was flying my X1 around some trees this afternoon. But I kept a safe distance. I don't trust my piloting skill.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:13 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2010
534 Posts
Quote:
@slim1357: have any pics or video? sounds very cool! i'm very new to mods and am about to buy my first hobby soldering iron and start adding LEDs to my fleet. so you do suggest using resistors with these lights? just one per and if so on which lead? hot or ground?
The leds I have came as a combo with resistors for several different voltages. I don't have them with me at work but I will check the brand name when I get home. I'm pretty sure you solder the resistor on the negative leg. I will check when I get home and post what brand they were. I got them in the train section of a LHS. There are calculators online that will tell you what you need depending on the specs of the leds you choose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by --Oz-- View Post
I suggest the Hacko knock off soldering iron from hobbyking. Killer deal for what your getting. and you can use genuine Hacko tips, they are ~$2 each and last a very long time.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...h_US_Plug.html

Also, they have them in different warehouses and input voltage (110 to 220 Vac)
+1 this is a great soldering station. I have had one for two months and it works better than my old Weller stations. Uses Hakko tips too.

Lights on my X1
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...1%20lights.jpg
slim1357 is offline Find More Posts by slim1357
Last edited by slim1357; Jan 17, 2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:14 PM
Louisville, KY
Joined Jun 2006
561 Posts
Tennis ball with heavy string attached.
Sympster is online now Find More Posts by Sympster
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:17 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,204 Posts
I use that same soldering station, too. +1 recommendation.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:18 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,791 Posts
Quote:
So what's the best way to get my X1 out of a tree about 50 feet up and beyond tree climbing? Strong winds won't bring it down. ...
I had a quad in a similar situation recently. For about a week, the wind gusts were not strong enough to bring it down. But then it got really windy and that blew it down. I cleaned it and am letting it dry before I start testing.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:21 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2010
534 Posts
Quote:
I spent an hour with a soccer ball trying to get a little foam plane out of a tree about 30 feet up. It was the middle of the night and I was pretty drunk but I got it down. A fishing pole has been suggested in other threads.
slim1357 is offline Find More Posts by slim1357
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:23 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,791 Posts
Quote:
...am about to buy my first hobby soldering iron and start adding LEDs to my fleet. so you do suggest using resistors with these lights? just one per and if so on which lead? hot or ground?
You can put a resister on either leg. Having resisters on plain LEDs are good, as without them, a small change in voltage can lead to a very large change in current (which can lead to LED burn-out).
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:25 PM
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Mar 2006
1,979 Posts
My RC boat buddy 3 decades ago, used a fishing pole with tennis ball on the end of the line, cast past the boat, walk until the line in across's the boat and reel, worked great.
--Oz-- is offline Find More Posts by --Oz--
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:25 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim1357 View Post
I spent an hour with a soccer ball trying to get a little foam plane out of a tree about 30 feet up...
Up to about 30 ft., I can use a combination of an extension ladder and a roof rake. But that is about my maximum recovery height.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:31 PM
Trees are bad
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2012
127 Posts
My best solution is buy 10' sticks of pvc at Home Depo along with joiners and duct tape. It's fairly cheep but 50' is a long long way up. Trees are bad.
Stevez1kart is offline Find More Posts by Stevez1kart
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:24 PM
Joined Jan 2013
45 Posts
So far I like the tennis ball and string idea. This tree is perched at the top of a 50foot ravine so any ball not on a string is going to be a long hike down the heavily wooded hill to retrieve. Makes aim very important.

I was thinking about my slingshot too. Aim is pretty good. May damage the X1, but it's better on the ground damaged than up in the tree.
whitet777 is offline Find More Posts by whitet777
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:35 PM
night is right for flight!
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Jan 2012
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Wait! That's three Kosem reports in one day! I was flying my X1 around some trees this afternoon. But I kept a safe distance. I don't trust my piloting skill.
HA! had to do a bit of google searching to figure out the Kosem reference. guilty as charged! i have to admit i'm kind of a ballstothewall kamikaze style flier even in my neighborhood. i've been on more than one neighbor's roof, tree, or in their back yard! From S107s to DH9101 to X-1, doesn't matter! night flying is my favorite, usually less wind and street traffic.

my SAR mission this afternoon was successful though, my X-1 was so far up the neighbor's tree even using my extension ladder (at 2am this morning) and shaking the branches wouldn't dislodge it. i had to sit watching the basketball game on the DVR last night with the red blinking light mocking me through the front window until the battery finally gave out!

@whitet777: to retrieve said quad, i tied a 6oz fishing lead to some heavy yellow construction string and gave it a heave-ho. first toss was short, second missed but got caught around a branch. i was able to pull it free and on the third toss went over the offending branch. a couple good yanks and down comes X-1! the lead however had taken a half hitch around a branch and i had to break it off. it'll hang there until the string rots off, don't worry i fish and have lots more!
i popped my spare battery in that sucker and off it goes. i'm gonna have to try a lot harder to kill this thing!

can't wait to get a soldering iron and some LEDs, should make night flying a little easier, or at least night retrieval!
thunnus is offline Find More Posts by thunnus
Last edited by thunnus; Jan 17, 2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:29 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,204 Posts
Kosemming

HAHAHA, I was waiting to see how long it takes for someone to ask what Kosemming is?

If you have started from the early days of RCG Quad discussion, you couldn't miss it. Kosem was a noun, specifically a member's name here in RCG. Kosem lives in Paris, France. Notably, he was the first person to have a WL-V929 with LED lights, which eventually was released as the now well-known V949. But for a while, no one here in RCG could get their hands on a V929 with LEDs. Only Kosem has it.

Then on one windy day in Sept, 2012. Kosem got his V929 Special Edition lodged high up on a tree. Everyone in the community shared the same sense of loss, but couldn't visualize how bad the situation was until Kosem posted a photo. Everyone chimed in to help, suggesting anything from practical to ridiculous. Some Bozzo even suggested Kosem to buy a VW and slammed the door next to the tree, so everything up on the tree would come down!

Shortly after that, Kosem launched a SAR mission, using his LadyBird! Well, what was Kosem thinking, you ask? He soon realized that it was a very bad move.

More support was pouring in from all over the world. CNN later reported all the attempts made to rescue the V929SE. Before we knew it, Kosem's tree was turning into a Christmas tree! LOL.

Two weeks later, the Ladybird came down from the tree. But the V929SE was very stubborn. Finally, after two and half weeks, strong gusts sent the V929SE back down to Kosem.

Anyway, we followed the Kosem stories for weeks. Recently, I don't know who coined the word Kosem as a new verb. Thus, we have kosemming, kosemmed, Dekosemming, etc.

And now you know....the rest of the Kosem story. Good night, folks!
Last edited by Heli Pad; Jan 26, 2013 at 06:58 PM.