HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:59 PM
United States, MI, Grand Rapids Charter Township
Joined Jan 2012
12 Posts
Can someone tell me what mods are possible with the syma x1, and any links and what is the maximum lift off weight for the syma x1? im trying to put a fpv thing on it or my phone.
100Grand is offline Find More Posts by 100Grand
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:07 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2010
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
@Stbknox, Buying the NanoTech 600mAh directly from Hobby King is a little cheaper. But after you factor in the shipping cost and the shipping time, you are correct, the savings is trivial. It's your choice, if you want to deal with a US based EBay seller. His rating has been perfect!
I linked to the USA warehouse for those batteries. Depending on where you live it might be a slightly better deal. I live about 150 miles from the USA warehouse so shipping is rarely more than $5 and it gets to me in a day or two.
slim1357 is offline Find More Posts by slim1357
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:15 PM
Joined Dec 2010
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Grand View Post
Can someone tell me what mods are possible with the syma x1, and any links and what is the maximum lift off weight for the syma x1? im trying to put a fpv thing on it or my phone.
I can pretty much guarantee it will not lift your phone. I have micro fpv gear on mine and it makes it a little sluggish but this thing flies like a giant boat already.

If you want significant performance increases and weight capacity you need to start looking at brushless motor powered quads. I have one that actually has a smaller motor to motor distance than the x1. It's the carbon prototype for the blueskyrc funsize quad powered by a1510 motors and controlled by an OPCC.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:21 PM
Canada, MB
Joined Feb 2012
505 Posts
Quote:
Battery box removal mod. Use Velcro to hold battery instead.

I have attached about 25grams of camera and mount and still has lots of power.
Flying By is offline Find More Posts by Flying By
Last edited by Flying By; Jan 06, 2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:29 PM
The Netherlands, NB, Heusden Gem Heusden
Joined Dec 2012
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying By View Post
Battery box removal mod. Use Velcro to hold battery instead.

I have attached about 25grams of camera and mount and still has lots of power.
How much weight would it safe to do the batt box mod and canopy removal?
pe1rdw is offline Find More Posts by pe1rdw
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:35 PM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Dec 2011
1,775 Posts
Quote:
I have found that although these quads can lift Upto 100grams to get stable fpv and arial photography flight u need to be at 86grams or less.. Remember fpv flight is different from Los flight.. Where u can compensate for slight inst ability or wod or one arm dipping coz of weight... When fpving u may not see this till to late.. I shaved off more than 20grams of my v929 t bring it to 83grams including 2 batteries and a 7gram camera.. I have a list of mods that I did on the v929 platform some of which maybe viable on the x1 platform...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2729
ArchillesElbow is offline Find More Posts by ArchillesElbow
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:24 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D View Post
Does anyone make/sell a "extension lead" so to speak so I could charge my X-1 Batts on say a little 4 port charger ( they will not physically fit because of the construction of the X-1 pack)
Tommy, to use your Eflite Celectra Charger, I believe you need the little pigtail connectors that Blade sells:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...y-Adapter-Lead

You should be able to find this part at your LHS. If not, you could order this part from a number of Blade vendors, or make some yourself. It's pretty simple.

The Celectra charges at 300mA only. It will take a couple of hours to fully charge a 600mAh cell.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:26 PM
Joined Dec 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoeDog View Post
Hello everyone.
I picked up a Syma X1 a couple of days ago. My first quad. Flew great at first; I had to adjust the trims slightly but nothing radical. Last night when trying to fly around the living room , upon takeoff it went immediately to the back/right. I tried compensating with more trim. As it is now it has to have full forwards and full left trim to come close to hovering, and I still have to push the directional stick somewhat forward/left. This leads me to believe that there is an issue with the right rear motor or blade/gear assembly. When spinning that motor by hand, it seems to have ever so slightly more drag than the other motors. It's very minimal, but I'm pretty sure it's there. All the gears on that motor look fine. The blade is not rubbing on the housing, which is what I was hoping the problem was.
Someone mentioned balancing the blades. How is that done?
I'm beginning to think I have a bad motor though.
Anyone have any advice on what to do next?
Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by variantman View Post
I have a V949 with the same issue. There are two things I'm gonna try. One is to switch motors with one off my V929 (this would probably require soldering on the X1... which uses a smaller motor by the way). The other is to check my props for balance. I guess I'll remove them all and put them each on a sewing needle taped to the edge of a table or box. See if both ends stay parallel to the ground. If not, add tape or clear nail polish to balance. I'm hoping one of those two solutions work.

Could also be a loose boom, although I already checked taht on mine.
Thanks for the quick response. I checked the boom(s), all are tight. Haven't balanced the blades yet, but I did switch to the extra blades that were sent with the quad... sadly no difference. When I hold it carefully under the canopy and power it up half throttle w/o any trim modifications, there is alot more air under the front (white) blades than the rear ones. It feels like it wants to flip over while holding it. I'm thinking it's the right rear motor going bad. Damn.
It was fun while it lasted.
FoeDog is offline Find More Posts by FoeDog
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:17 PM
Joined Dec 2011
1,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim1357 View Post
Attached the FPV gear. I got it from the classifieds here but I'm pretty sure it's this camera, transmitter and receiver from fpv hobby. I used Instamorph plastic to put a jelly lens wide angle over the stock camera lens. It degrades the image quality a bit but I feel it's worth the trade off.

I wish this quad had more cyclic authority. Hopefully someone smarter and more motivated than me will figure it out.

Oh yeah, anyone know if these are the same props as the MQX?
Slim your major issues in terms of sluggishness and cyclic is weight and props... Get the gws props and drop that weight... Under 86g is ideal with fpv gear and all batteries together with the gws props....
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:32 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,162 Posts
GWS Props are not drop in replacements. Some mod is required.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:05 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post

The Celectra charges at 300mA only. It will take a couple of hours to fully charge a 600mAh cell.

Scratch that! Ill make up some JST connectors for my hyperion chargers!

Thanks for the heads up!
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:49 PM
Joined Dec 2010
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchillesElbow View Post
Slim your major issues in terms of sluggishness and cyclic is weight and props... Get the gws props and drop that weight... Under 86g is ideal with fpv gear and all batteries together with the gws props....
Well maybe I wasn't clear but I feel like the cyclic response even with no fpv gear and the canopy removed (flying in it's underpants so to speak) is pretty poor. Using the 9x with negative expo and throws at 125 helps but really it's the firmware.

You are putting gws 5030 props on your x1? How do you attach them? I have a bunch of the 3 blade ones and also many of the cheapo SF style red 5030s from Hobbyking. Those have a 1.5 mm hole.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:11 AM
Joined Dec 2011
1,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim1357 View Post
Well maybe I wasn't clear but I feel like the cyclic response even with no fpv gear and the canopy removed (flying in it's underpants so to speak) is pretty poor. Using the 9x with negative expo and throws at 125 helps but really it's the firmware.

You are putting gws 5030 props on your x1? How do you attach them? I have a bunch of the 3 blade ones and also many of the cheapo SF style red 5030s from Hobbyking. Those have a 1.5 mm hole.
Well my set up will be slightly different... I will only be using the x1 board.. The frame is a v929 hybrid that I have modified to get the weight down
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:10 AM
Joined Dec 2010
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchillesElbow View Post
Well my set up will be slightly different... I will only be using the x1 board.. The frame is a v929 hybrid that I have modified to get the weight down
Cool I have an H36 board and some motors and props on the way. Going to make the lightest fpv quad I can. Hope to get a lighter and better camera and build a cloverleaf for the tx.

Back on topic, I really hope someone is reverse engineering the software on the X1. I want more cyclic!
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:18 AM
Joined Dec 2010
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D View Post

Scratch that! Ill make up some JST connectors for my hyperion chargers!

Thanks for the heads up!
You can crank it up to 370ma but that is still slow as