HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:51 PM
United States
Joined Mar 2006
2,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arr0wHead View Post
Saw the weather was calm with no wind, so I grabbed my new X1 I just got from Amazon and two fresh charged stock batteries. I ran out to the parking lot of the condo I live in. There's a big area out back bordering the woods that people take their dogs to go poo. A perfect challenge: a nice open space to fly with a few small trees for obstacles, and if you crash... well you've got a crappy copter.

Had a lot of fun. This thing is definitely more aggressive with my new X1 settings on my 9x. I got pretty high, did some fun circles and piros. Flew around and just plain had fun.

Then, sadly, it started acting funny. When I started up, it was trimmed up perfect. But suddenly I was getting forward/left drift. I trimmed it, and trimmed it, and maxxed out, and it was drifting still. Figured it might be the battery, as it hit LVC right after. So I threw in the other fresh one. Same thing.

Then I remembered all the advice to break it in gently hovering the first few cells. I forgot this was a replacement, and was working it like I would my old X1. I brought it in and gave it a bit of lube on each pinion. Throttled it up and saw that the prop that wasn't spinning up as quick was working better. I'm going to let it rest tonight, and try again tomorrow. Maybe try shimming the board if necessary. Although it shouldn't be, as it was working fine at first.

My only other theory is that the actual trim of my 9x might be acting wonky. I noticed a similar drift with my ladybird the other night. But that one WILL drift when it's near lvc, I've found.
My 1st guess is the left front motor is weak, this happened to me on my 2nd X1 within 5 flights. I go though twice as many LF/RR motors (red/blue wire), then RF/LR motors (white/black wires).
--Oz-- is offline Find More Posts by --Oz--
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:09 AM
strawcuter
Winchester, KY
Joined Feb 2004
284 Posts
X1 out of trim

Heli Pad, Jamesdr, Thanks for the advice. The X1 is sliding to the left and very slightly forward. I will try putting a shim under the left front side when I initialize it as a first try to see how that works. If the trim issue is resolved I will shim the board.

A group of us fly inside at the local YMCA gym on Thursday mornings most everyone is using micro electric planes. Two of us have the X1 and find it fun to fly.

Once more thank you very much for the advice and the welcome.

Bob
strawcuter is offline Find More Posts by strawcuter
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:10 PM
United States
Joined Mar 2006
2,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post
Most definately a Hybrid quad build.

Im building a mini hybrid when my parts come in but wanted to buy an X1 board and attach it to a mini quad frame...I saw on youtube someone mounting one to a Vitality H36 frame and it was extremely stable..was impressive.
I have been thinking the same thing, bigger brushed motors that are more reliable and replace the X1 FET's with higher current FETs (Qty=10 50 amp FETs are ~$6, ebay IRLZ44). Props directly mounted on the motors. All my other RC projects getting in the way of this project.

Another idea, use 4 servo testers (or mcu) to convert the X1 PWM motor signals to PPM then could use brushless motors. This becomes more money and larger mess of boards.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:35 AM
Joined Jan 2013
664 Posts
Yesterday I had a bad experience with the X1 Tx.
Normally I fly my X1 near my house, on a park, in the middle of houses. I havent experienced significant signal loss there, and i was happy with it. Yesterday, I took the X1 to another park, like 500mts away from where i normally fly, there r no houses there, and I lost range of my X1 like 20feet away! I tried several times, sometimes i lost range of it at like 15 feet away!. Luckily, i had my v911 with me with the Tx, so bind it with the X1, and voila!...NO MORE RANGE ISSUES.
I guess the X1 Tx is very sensible
Tboost is offline Find More Posts by Tboost
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:46 AM
United States, CA, Fountain Valley
Joined Jan 2011
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Yes, I'm still have problems with the signal. I just came back from flying at the site where I first discovered the signal issue. It was doing horrible tonight. Range is 30 paces or less.

I'm beginning to think that the X1 is very sensitive to interference. It seems to me that its signal issue is location specific. When I go to certain park, the X1 would drop. Then when I go to other parks, the X1 would fly beyond my eyes could see. The difference is ridiculous! And I can't explain it. But so far, I could name 3 locations that are consistently bad, and 3 locations that are more than decent, and one location that is exceptionally well. And the performance of the X1 seems to be consistent with the locations. It's very predictable.

damn that sucks man. does it happen to you a lot or just once in a blue moon?
bizzy511 is offline Find More Posts by bizzy511
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:07 AM
Joined Jan 2013
664 Posts
deleted
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:17 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboost View Post
Yesterday I had a bad experience with the X1 Tx.
Normally I fly my X1 near my house, on a park, in the middle of houses. I havent experienced significant signal loss there, and i was happy with it. Yesterday, I took the X1 to another park, like 500mts away from where i normally fly, there r no houses there, and I lost range of my X1 like 20feet away! I tried several times, sometimes i lost range of it at like 15 feet away!. Luckily, i had my v911 with me with the Tx, so bind it with the X1, and voila!...NO MORE RANGE ISSUES.
I guess the X1 Tx is very sensible
Keep that experience in mind, and return to that location some other day/time. There might be no houses around, but there might be a huge cell tower or something. I don't know what it is. But for the same Tx sometimes I get very very long range. Sometimes very poor. And it seems to be location dependent to me. See if it is the same for you.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:28 AM
Joined Jan 2013
664 Posts
Heli Pad

So far i had tried the X1 in 4 different locations, and im happy with my range at the moment. On those places, maybe the max i had before I had houses or trees on my way was like 100ft, and the stock Tx did the job.

But yesterday barely make it to 20 feet and the X1 was falling down. Its very odd, and maybe the stock Tx is very sensible to something.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 01:15 PM
United States, AR
Joined Mar 2009
520 Posts
Another option that will bind to the X-1
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2_Mode_2_.html

It will give you all the range you need and has a much smoother throttle than the stock radio. It has to be the Version 2 Hobbyking radio, Version 1 will not bind to the X-1. It's a cheaper alternative to the Turnigy/Flysky 9-X. ------------- If you got the money the 9-X is a much better deal though.
Randbo39 is offline Find More Posts by Randbo39
Last edited by Randbo39; Mar 18, 2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 02:18 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,608 Posts
Been flyin my stock X1 indoors at a 3 wide basketball area.
No range problems.
Been flying my Stock X1 outdoors on my large lawn and next to Church with large lawn
NO range problems.

This thing gets small real quick so IF you cant see it
then it doesnt need more range
you need better eyes.

Sure a Larger tx looks better than the twinky stock one BUT it WORKS JUST FINE !

GOT A NEW MANEUVER !

Just enough power to lighten it up and leaving the FRONT skids on the Gym floor
cruise around ON that FLOOR without actually lifting all the way off.
It takes a smooth floor like a basket ball court but it's kindofa challenge to do it
all the way around the circuit !
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Mar 18, 2013, 02:47 PM
Autopilot no control
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Feb 2013
279 Posts
^I scrape mine all the time! I put a small line of tape under the skids to protect the plastic while also reducing friction (I fly outdoors). It is probably so much better on a smooth surface!

To chime in the TX convo, I hate the inconsistent range (main reason I got a T9x). I have had it fly 100ft, and also watched it fall out of the sky before 20ft! The 20ft day was right behind my condo, it lost signal before climbing past the 2nd story. I've also had inconsistent range in the same spot! I was actually doing a range test: hover in front of me, took it to the right ~100ft, then brought it back and went to the left and it lost signal ~30ft.

Now that I think about it, I only remember it dropping suddenly when I was flying it up and towards the left of my position with the stock TX. Now this could be coincidental that it was always to the left of me when losing signal, but is there any merit to the signal not spreading correctly in all directions?
Highly Grounded is online now Find More Posts by Highly Grounded
Old Mar 18, 2013, 03:50 PM
Joined Jan 2013
664 Posts
I dont think it has something to do with the direction of the Tx, because yesterday i had the X1 in front of me, at like 5 feet high, 20 feet away tops, and lost range out of nothing. And I tried 3 times, all lost range in less than 20 feet. When i bind it with the v911 Tx, i took it like 30 feet high (i was standing in the exact same spot where i lost range with the stock Tx) and almost 100 feet away, and i had no problems at all.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 04:46 PM
United States, MI, Dearborn
Joined Jan 2013
195 Posts
Is the stock Tx low powered or something? There has to be a reason why they only advertise a 30 meter range. I can definitely say they 30 meters is about right. That is in perfect conditions, and is usually less than that. Its also pretty sensitive to interference too. It seems like all flysky stuff is, as I had interference issues with my 9x stock module also. The nice this about the X1 is it rebinds as soon as it regains signal and you get control back right away. I have saved mine in midflight about a thousand times.
unit311 is offline Find More Posts by unit311
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:42 AM
Joined Feb 2013
84 Posts
another nice thing is that it cuts engines when it loses binding.. i've watched videos of the AR drone flying away when it lost connection
frantik is offline Find More Posts by frantik
Old Mar 19, 2013, 01:54 AM
United States
Joined Mar 2006
2,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randbo39 View Post
Another option that will bind to the X-1
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2_Mode_2_.html

It will give you all the range you need and has a much smoother throttle than the stock radio. It has to be the Version 2 Hobbyking radio, Version 1 will not bind to the X-1. It's a cheaper alternative to the Turnigy/Flysky 9-X. ------------- If you got the money the 9-X is a much better deal though.
Just curios, why will the version 1 not bind?

If it did, you could always switch wires around to get Mode-2. but the 9x with er9x is the way to go