HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:15 AM
United States, CA, Fountain Valley
Joined Jan 2011
257 Posts
How is the range with the stock tx? Are people still having problems with losing signal?
bizzy511 is offline Find More Posts by bizzy511
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:42 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Mar 2009
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Did I tell you that the V969 Bubble Quad is on sale here? Just use coupon code "401FUN" for 10% discount at checkout.
Oh yes, I believe you've mentioned it once or twice

Would love to jump on it...but this months budget is blown already, even the money I got from my wife after she returned my birthday gift. I warned her that the new LHS didn't have anything I wanted...but I still appreciated the thought (She got me the Blade Redbull coaxial heli...but I really don't enjoy coaxials anymore and it wasn't a DMX compatible TX so really it had no interest for me...especially for $70!)

I may just have to build my own bubble blower solution...we have quite a few bubble devices laying around

Maybe for her birthday (my daughter, not my wife) I'll get her a bubble quad of her own to learn to fly with. She's really been excited about the 60" plane I'm building - she's already declared the wing to be hers since I let her paint it. And she snuggled up on the couch hugging the fuselage the other night. I really need to finish the control linkages so we can go fly it this weekend

And I'm finally going to swap some new blades on the X1 later today so we can have more fun than just blowing bubbles with it.
jhitesma is online now Find More Posts by jhitesma
Old Mar 15, 2013, 03:15 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhitesma View Post
Oh yes, I believe you've mentioned it once or twice

Would love to jump on it...but this months budget is blown already, even the money I got from my wife after she returned my birthday gift. I warned her that the new LHS didn't have anything I wanted...but I still appreciated the thought (She got me the Blade Redbull coaxial heli...but I really don't enjoy coaxials anymore and it wasn't a DMX compatible TX so really it had no interest for me...especially for $70!)

I may just have to build my own bubble blower solution...we have quite a few bubble devices laying around

Maybe for her birthday (my daughter, not my wife) I'll get her a bubble quad of her own to learn to fly with. She's really been excited about the 60" plane I'm building - she's already declared the wing to be hers since I let her paint it. And she snuggled up on the couch hugging the fuselage the other night. I really need to finish the control linkages so we can go fly it this weekend

And I'm finally going to swap some new blades on the X1 later today so we can have more fun than just blowing bubbles with it.
too bad - your just messin' with the wrong coaxes ...
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tools, Tools, Tools ...
Old Mar 15, 2013, 03:40 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Mar 2009
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
too bad - your just messin' with the wrong coaxes ...
Yeah, I admit part of me wanted to keep it to see how a nicer coaxial flies...but honestly I haven't been a fan of them since before I even flew one. Something about a heli with two sets of blades just rubs me the wrong way. Unless they're separate like on a Chinook style heli.

But it's kind of the same issue I'm having with the X1. They're just not holding my interest as well as 4 channel helis and planes are. And why while I like the flying charachteristics of my v911 I'm already a little bored with it compared to my 9958. Just too predictable and stable.

But I also know I'm not exactly typical. I've never had any issues with orientation until I started reading up on it and actually thinking about it. It always just came naturally to me and made sense to think of things from the aircrafts point of view - but the more I read about people having orientation issues and trying to learn to overcome them the more confused I get and start to actually think about orientation while flying and suddenly start finding myself mixed up The biggest "orientation" problem I have is with seeing things like micro helis and quads when they're up in the sky.

But if I don't try and think about which way it's going and just let my mind track it subconsciously I don't have a problem. I think it's my dads fault from when I was learning to drive and he taught me that I should always have a mental image of every other car on the road around me to the point that mirrors are almost redundant. And I do the same kind of thing when flying, I keep a mindset of being in the aircraft not controlling it from the ground. So which way I'm going is just part of the mental image I already have going on when flying and thinking about it just kind of throws things off for me.

Really my main interest in quads is for something to lift a camera and get into FPV with eventually. So the X1 was kind of a budget trainer in my mind, and for that it's been outstanding. I'd like to get something with a bit more response on the "cyclic" and a bit more forward speed...but I may just step up to building something bigger next. Or maybe try a tri-copter setup, they've intrigued me.

Don't get me wrong, I love the X1 - but I'm kind of regretting ordering the 5 extra batteries for it because it just doesn't hold my interest long enough to last through that many batteries at once

Now if we get the flip on the x1 working on the 9x (and that's looking really good on the 9xforums right now - more in a moment) and if I could figure out why my x1 and 9x won't stay bound I'd probably enjoy it a lot more. But having to rebind each time I swap the bat in the x1 is REALLY annoying - especially during the day when I can't see what the LED is doing.

The guy working on the flip for the 9x has made a lot of progress BTW for those who haven't been following the thread on the 9xforums. It will require a custom module for the 9x though and the module will require the actual RF module from a stock TX. Which is a slight bit of a bummer since the stock RF module on the x1 is really the big limiting factor. But someone else found modules with a real antenna on them for about $12 (IIRC I may be off a few dollars.) The only problem with this is it starts to add up, $12 for the RF module, $10 for the module case, $10 in other bits and suddenly you're spending more for the custom 9x module than you did on the x1 in the first place. So if you're only looking to fly an x1 it's a little silly. But if you have other models that use the flysky protocol and need the flip button functionality then it will make a lot of sense.

I don't have any other models, but do enjoy a good electronics hack so I'm probably going to try and build one to test even if it's kind of silly financially. Plus then I'll have the extra module ready for any others I pick up that need the "flip" button functionality.

But I still don't see myself spending more money on coaxials.

Sorry to get so long winded, it's a habit of mine. But at least I pulled myself back around to the X1 again
Old Mar 15, 2013, 05:49 PM
Autopilot no control
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Feb 2013
286 Posts
When you say your x1/9x won't stay bound, how long do you attempt before trying to rebind? I thought I had an issue, but I was retrying to rebind before letting it run through the cycle because it wasn't connecting as quickly with the 9x as it was with the stock TX. I would see the rapid flash and think it didn't connect, then one time I let it sit an extra 10sec and it went solid and gave me control. If you are impatient like me, take 3 more breaths and see if it connects. (my first quad, not sure if the delay is normal, but it binds every time if I allow it to run its sequence)
Highly Grounded is offline Find More Posts by Highly Grounded
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:08 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,323 Posts
Fly mine outside in the dark...this thing looks awesome at night.
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:03 PM
Joined Nov 2004
150 Posts
I just took my first night flight after adding lights. It is a lot of fun. I can see the attraction. Overall easier to tell orientation although did have a few not sure moments. Right now just have some lights on front, it will help when I get some different colors for back. Just in time for summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
Fly mine outside in the dark...this thing looks awesome at night.
ronrc is offline Find More Posts by ronrc
Old Mar 16, 2013, 12:24 AM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Mar 2009
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highly Grounded View Post
When you say your x1/9x won't stay bound, how long do you attempt before trying to rebind? I thought I had an issue, but I was retrying to rebind before letting it run through the cycle because it wasn't connecting as quickly with the 9x as it was with the stock TX. I would see the rapid flash and think it didn't connect, then one time I let it sit an extra 10sec and it went solid and gave me control. If you are impatient like me, take 3 more breaths and see if it connects. (my first quad, not sure if the delay is normal, but it binds every time if I allow it to run its sequence)
Just tried it again. From the rapid flash it goes to the slow flash, not bound and won't allow binding. Even if I wait up to 30 seconds. (with a stopwatch)

Nope, just looses bind each time I swap batteries on the x1
Old Mar 16, 2013, 03:57 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzy511 View Post
How is the range with the stock tx? Are people still having problems with losing signal?
Yes, I'm still have problems with the signal. I just came back from flying at the site where I first discovered the signal issue. It was doing horrible tonight. Range is 30 paces or less.

I'm beginning to think that the X1 is very sensitive to interference. It seems to me that its signal issue is location specific. When I go to certain park, the X1 would drop. Then when I go to other parks, the X1 would fly beyond my eyes could see. The difference is ridiculous! And I can't explain it. But so far, I could name 3 locations that are consistently bad, and 3 locations that are more than decent, and one location that is exceptionally well. And the performance of the X1 seems to be consistent with the locations. It's very predictable.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Mar 16, 2013, 04:17 AM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,323 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I'm still have problems with the signal. I just came back from flying at the site where I first discovered the signal issue. It was doing horrible tonight. Range is 30 paces or less.

I'm beginning to think that the X1 is very sensitive to interference. It seems to me that its signal issue is location specific. When I go to certain park, the X1 would drop. Then when I go to other parks, the X1 would fly beyond my eyes could see. The difference is ridiculous! And I can't explain it. But so far, I could name 3 locations that are consistently bad, and 3 locations that are more than decent, and one location that is exceptionally well. And the performance of the X1 seems to be consistent with the locations. It's very predictable.
It was me.....I was shooting you a tachyon burst! LOL
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Mar 16, 2013, 06:23 AM
Joined Feb 2013
84 Posts
Quote:
I experienced this tonight while flying as well. the engine was cutting out when it was barely far away from me at all. Then other times it would go at 100 feet without any problem.

I'm starting to try to learn how to do turns and stuff.. i think i need some LEDs or something though cause those blades at night are really hard to see
frantik is offline Find More Posts by frantik
Old Mar 16, 2013, 08:59 AM
Joined Mar 2013
20 Posts
Finally I can control my X1, so long as it's pointing in the same direction as me. I tried mounting an 808 key cam underneath with some tape but mounted the cam too far forward from the centre which made it nose heavy. Does anyone have any mounting techniques for this cam? I'd like not to see the blades in the video, so cam will need to mounted underneath and angled down slightly. I pulled one of the four main struts out of its socket when I was removing the cam tape, but luckily the wires didn't detach and I was able to slot it back in.
nw312 is offline Find More Posts by nw312
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:17 AM
Joined Nov 2004
150 Posts
I've don't have any problem with signal loss. I can fly 150-200 ft before I begin to notice anything. Any further than that and I have trouble with orientation anyway.It probably does have to do with the combination of the individual transmitter, quad and perhaps interferance.

Quote:

ronrc is offline Find More Posts by ronrc
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:45 AM
Joined Mar 2013
4 Posts
Hello! I posted in another section of the forums not knowing where to post my question and then I found this humongous thread this morning. I was given a Syma X1 quadcopter that has some broken blades and arms. Had no idea what to do with it and then I thought that maybe I could control my outdoor camera that I use for birds, squirrels and other small wildlife around the house. I currently use a 50ft cable with the small wired remote it came with. There are six wires in the cable connected to the small board inside the remote: +, -, up, down, left and right. I've removed the board from the X1 and the back says Syma-X1-R V5, if that helps any. I noticed the board only has +'s and -'s on it with another section of four unmarked holes in a row. Is anyone aware of a way to use that with the camera's head or have any diagrams or schematics which might help?

Thank you in advance!
inmyrem is offline Find More Posts by inmyrem
Old Mar 16, 2013, 12:30 PM
Joined Dec 2012
8 Posts
NW312, this is the mount I made for my cam. I got a clear plastic lid from Starbucks and used velcrow to attach cam to lid. Used a hole punch to form the holes for mounting the lid to the frame arms. So far it is secure and does not get the jello effect and no prop blades in video.

Heli-pad, The interference may come from wi-fi signals that are close by. I flew 75 feet from a friend that has wi-fi amplifier on his router and it wreaked havoc with the the X1. I had him turn it off and it was fine.
F4Dee is offline Find More Posts by F4Dee