SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 07, 2013, 08:44 PM
United States
Joined Mar 2006
2,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randbo39 View Post
What he said.

I discovered the 9x through my interest in the X-1. It turns the X-1 into something more than the toy I got for Christmas. The 9x is a radio you can modify and grow with. Now I fly all my planes on it. I'll never go back to the Spektrum DX6i that I as using previously. There is quite a big forum on it in R/C Groups.
I love the 9x converted to er9x (I will be trying open9x soon, it has slightly more features) and the new radios coming out by FrSky with use openX9D FW.

The JR 9303 is a very popular Tx and my er9x has many things that the $400+ JR radio does not have, I am sure the quality is better on the JR (probably not on the Spektrum though) than my 9x, but I can own six 9x's for the cost of that JR

While RCG has a 9x thread, I think the http://9xforums.com/forum/ has more info and is organized better, plus the FW developers seem more active over there, just IMO.
--Oz-- is offline Find More Posts by --Oz--
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2013, 08:51 PM
United States
Joined Mar 2006
2,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetzal.mi View Post
Hi,
bought X-1 about a month ago, and it was FUN in minutes.
Bought some heli in the past, but never was able to fly them correctly, this little flier was very easy to fly.
But the fun did'nt last for long as, when i flown my X1 against a tree, I broke the shaft of main gear (spare part x1-11).
Spare came to me in less than 24 hour, but I am unable to change, as the end of main gear shaft is still firmly held in the shaft-to-blade connector (this part
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Sy...5-p-54188.html

I tried to remove the shaft piece pushing from the opposite side, using the broken shaft as en extractor, but it did not move at all.
How could I extract the shaft end ?
The only idea that came to my mind is to drill broken shaft with a tiny bit, but think there will be a better solution.
Also, when I reassemble the thing, how to push safely the shaft into blade connector ?

Any help useful, thanks.

See my post for my method to remove stubborn shafts.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post24128573
Old Mar 07, 2013, 08:59 PM
United States
Joined Mar 2006
2,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Wow! That break was something to behold. I think what I would advice this group to do is: Whenever you buy the shaft replacement (with gear), buy also the plastic end cap limiter. It's too much work to get it out just to reuse an old part. Don't you think?
With the right tools and technique it comes right out. I had to do this twice with broken shafts from my friends learning to fly. See my old post above.

So, where do we get spare pinion gears, there not coming on the motors I buy from Banggood (like the picture shows)?
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:03 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richos View Post
Hi Heli Pad! I think this YouTube video should have a link on your Page 2 of your thread (next to your Turnigy 9X Radio link .........
Very nice!

And the Gratuitous Flight Video portion is an entertaining bonus.

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:09 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by --Oz-- View Post
......So, where do we get spare pinion gears, there not coming on the motors I buy from Banggood (like the picture shows)?
I emailed to Banggood, about my order of spare motors which arrived without the pinions which shown in the Banggood photos.

No answer yet, but it hasn't been long.

Until the situation is remedied, the lesson here is to hang on to the pinions from your old motors.

They were easy to move to the new motors. But, if you throw the old pinions out with the old motors, you might have a hard time getting new pinions!

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:17 PM
United States
Joined Mar 2006
2,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richos View Post
Hi Heli Pad! I think this YouTube video should have a link on your Page 2 of your thread (next to your Turnigy 9X Radio link

I think all us Syma X1 Quadcopter flyers will find it most informative if you want to bind your X1 to a (Turnigy 9X TX)......

Before its buried in this masive thread of yours Heli Pad...

Hope you guys like this informative YouTube video
Some guys already working on the flip button, but it doesn't look good IMO
http://9xforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2672
Old Mar 07, 2013, 11:01 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Mar 2009
277 Posts
Quote:
Sounds to me like it's looking pretty good. Except that it will require new hardware (a custom RF module) so it may not be a very cheap fix. The RF module from the stock transmitter wouldn't make sense in the custom module since the stock module is the weak point a lot of us are trying to get past by using a 9x. So we'd either have to track down the right RF unit or get a DEVO TX to gut to get the required bits.

Pretty over the top just to support the X1 - but it looks like it would bring a whole host of extra protocols with it which opens up the 9x to being used with even more BNF's from other manufacturers which is always a plus.

As for the <$2 main frame. Yeah...but 2 drops of hot glue were practically free and solved the problem just fine for now. The way the X1 doesn't play super nice with my 9x (not staying bound) and the lack of a flip are pretty annoying to me. If we get a flix on the 9x even with custom hardware I'm still not sure if I'd want to keep fixing the X1 because of the binding issues. Keeping it for the girls to play with (they fly gentler than me!) seems like a better idea. Besides, if it's crashed enough to break the frame, bend a prop, bend 2 prop shafts and break 3 landing gears then I'm thinking just picking up a new one from Amazon almost makes more sense than patching it back up And then I'd have two to bash around
jhitesma is online now Find More Posts by jhitesma
Old Mar 07, 2013, 11:02 PM
United States
Joined Mar 2006
2,047 Posts
Quote:
Well, I open my mouth and insert foot, LOL I have not read the 9x flip button progress in about a month and looks like they have a possible hardware/software solution. Looks like it be a DIY replacement RF module.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 11:24 PM
United States
Joined Mar 2006
2,047 Posts
Off topic, 3D quad

mwc quad // ultraesc 3d (2 min 53 sec)
Old Mar 07, 2013, 11:35 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,415 Posts
Wow, interesting. I thought flying 3D helicopter is confusing, flying 3D Quad is even more confusing! I lost orientation flying right side up! A Quad is flat! From a distance, how do you tell whether it is upside down or right side up? I guess you just have to be so good that you fly in your mind and not with your eyes. Amazing.

Now, and the Rotors are all Fixed Pitch, right. So, when flying upside down the motor change direction of spin? It looks so seamless! For am I getting this wrong?
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Mar 08, 2013, 02:10 AM
Joined Feb 2013
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Now, and the Rotors are all Fixed Pitch, right. So, when flying upside down the motor change direction of spin? It looks so seamless! For am I getting this wrong?
at the end of the video, they show a slow motion flyby.. at one point you can see the rotors do change direction

pretty crazy flying.. i think i recognize that field from another video in this thread

I got my new X1 and my charger for the nanotech batteries yesterday.. still no camera though
frantik is offline Find More Posts by frantik
Old Mar 08, 2013, 03:20 AM
Joined Feb 2013
19 Posts
I posted a video earlier this week demonstrating the erratic behavior of the throttle channel of my new 9x. Luckily you guys suggested that perhaps, calibration was needed, I did so and the 9x seemed to behave. I don't fly indoors and the weather had been windy and rainy, so I haven't had a chance to fly, until this past Wednesday.
The X1 flew ok for a minute then it started to yoyo on its own. I quickly went in to the display screen and saw that the throttle was changing on its own. All at mid stick and below. Moving the stick all the way down didn't bring the X1 down. Finally I turned the 9x off, and the X1 dropped.
Nothing I did after that fixed the problem.

Today, I opened the 9x and released the throttle gimbals from the front face, took apart the potentiometer and fixed it.

The center post is the only one riveted to the pcb board. I pressed the rivet using a needle nose. The other two posts seemed to float slightly above the resistor film and are not riveted. Somehow they are either soldered or glued to the resistor but the connection isn't strong. Before I took the pot apart, the slightest touch of the leads going into the pot would cause the signal to change.

I pressed the posts back against the resistor and put it all back together. There is a glob of green plastic on the outer casing of the pot holding the leads in place but it's not enough.

So far I've gone through 4 batteries without a malfunction. I do need to go back in and apply some hot glue or some JB Weld to the leads going into the pot for a more solid fix.
ChefCrash1 is offline Find More Posts by ChefCrash1
Old Mar 08, 2013, 09:45 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,415 Posts
Sorry to hear that you were having issues with your 9x. I've been using mine for a while w/o issues. It's good that you could trace and fix the problem - very good work there. Hopefully, you will have some good trouble-free flying from now on.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 09:55 AM
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
When my 9x arrived, it kept doing some funky stuff. When I took it apart to add the smartie board and back light, I noticed that the larger screw from the board with the speaker on it had come loose and was lodged near the left gimbal. Once I put it back where it belonged, everything was near perfect. The only weird bit now is that on occasion the left stick all the way down doesn't register as all the way down. Not enough to accidentally spin up, just enough to keep the timer from stopping and set off the alarm on startup. If I give it another firm push down, it registers properly.

My guess, unconfirmed of course, is that a wire/cable is running right below the stick and it is catching up against it in the full down position. Likely my own fault when I did the modifications. I'm admittedly sloppy.
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
Old Mar 08, 2013, 10:00 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,415 Posts
ArrowHead, I would suggest re-calibrating your 9x also. This time do not press the left stick down hard, just do it lightly. Perhaps after re-calibration, you won't have to deal with that problem again.