HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2013, 02:11 PM
United States, WA, McChord AFB
Joined Mar 2013
6 Posts
We are not all worried about the measurement. It was taken is a digital caliper that had not been calibrated in 5 years. Also, if you own these batteries you would understand that they are "squishy" because of the metallic tape/wrapping they put around them. If I wanted to I could easily squeeze them down to original thickness. I only mentioned it because I remember somebody (on page 37 or so) posted about a bubble they got when they overcharged their battery. If I would have never read all the info, I would not even think to look for bulging at all.
Benihana is offline Find More Posts by Benihana
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2013, 02:22 PM
Joined Feb 2013
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
. Cell phone "usb" chargers have OCP built into them. Can I just put the stock charger in the usb port on the cell phone brick? Well, I decided to sacrafice a battery and try it last night. We stuck it in a steal box, in the weld shop (great ventilation) and kept a close eye on it. After about 1.5 hours of charging, the red light shut off on the stock charger. We remeasure the battery and it only bulged about .20 mm in size. We got a full 12 min's, medium throttle, without camera on the charge.

What is everybody's thoughts on using the cell phone USB charger and stock charger to charge batteries without OCD?
I dont think that sounds very safe... do you have a multimeter or some way to measure the voltage?

For what it's worth, I charged a 600mah turnigy battery that had been previously used in the X1 and it took about 90 minutes to reach 4.12 volts with the stock charger (i checked it every 30 minutes).. if you charged a battery that had the original voltage that it shipped with and spent 90 mins, you likely went over the 4.2v charge for these batteries

cant wait to get my replacement x1 tomorrow.... been craving some flight time! especially after the great outdoor flight i was having bnefore i damaged the motor
frantik is offline Find More Posts by frantik
Old Mar 05, 2013, 02:29 PM
Joined Mar 2013
6 Posts
interesting info guys.|
Anybody care to make a guess why the red light turned off? I pulled it off the charger as soon as it did.
Charging them again today and will report more #'s/times if we get time to play tonight.

I am thinking this is only going to be a temp solution anyway. Like I said before, my buddy has the 959 bad boy in the mail, so he will get a good charger. And if I get back into RC off road car racing, i am going to buy a charger that charge's Lipo's 1-9 cell. Already made sure I would get one that would charge everything I need.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 02:59 PM
United States
Joined Mar 2006
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
You forgot one important piece of the puzzle. You need negative 100 expo on the AIL and ELV.

Then get used to it and dial "down" from there.
I tried -100 exp and all it does is make it overly sensitive around center stick and makes it harder to be smooth and hover steady, then mushes out the last 3rd travel of the stick. It does not give it any more (max) control, the end points are still the same at full stick, am I missing something?

What I would want is 2 or 3 times the amount of current control (upping P-Gain on most flight controllers like the KK2 and/or turning the self level way down) and add positive expo to smooth out center stick but at the same time be able to do manual flips. To do this we would need to change the firmware in the X1, unless there is another way?
--Oz-- is offline Find More Posts by --Oz--
Old Mar 05, 2013, 03:24 PM
Joined Feb 2013
84 Posts
Quote:
interesting info guys.|
Anybody care to make a guess why the red light turned off? I pulled it off the charger as soon as it did.
I was thinking about that myself.. the red light shouldn't have turned off if the cell phone usb adapter cut the power to the stock battery charger. maybe they started putting the OCP in the charger?
Old Mar 05, 2013, 03:28 PM
Joined Mar 2013
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frantik View Post
I was thinking about that myself.. the red light shouldn't have turned off if the cell phone usb adapter cut the power to the stock battery charger. maybe they started putting the OCP in the charger?
The factory charger does have a little chip inside of it. Looks a LOT like the chip that somebody posted in the topic about making your own OCP inline charger.
Also noticed the "Caps" on the 600 Mah Battery is almost identical to the stock battery. No just a couple of wires coming out of the cell.

One finished charging at one hour (ran this one for 10 mins last night before I crashed)
Second finished charging at 1hr 45 mins, ran it completely dead last night.
Lights turned off both times! Interesting
Last edited by Benihana; Mar 05, 2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 03:57 PM
Joined Mar 2013
20 Posts
Syma X1 Quadcopter my initial thoughts

I just got a Syma X1 Quadcopter. I'm a bit disappointed with its stability, it needs constant input from the right stick to keep it hovering, due to its tendency to drift all over the place. Indoors can only keep it airborne for 10 to 20 seconds before I have to ground it to stop it crashing into objects. I only have small area to fly it indoors, but surely it must be possible to hover it inside a 4 foot square space?
I am a newbie to R/c in general but I'm think I'm getting the binding procedure correct. The manual is quite poor missing the numbers next to the control descriptions, and bad computer English translations/spellings of original Chinese.

I've tried the trimming controls but they don't do that much. I am I correct in thinking that the trim controls work opposite to the way one might suppose, e.g. to cure a side drift to the left you would push to trim control to the left?

I only let the quad hover a few inches above the ground because it drifts about so much I'm fighting with the left stick to try a keep it hovering in one spot. I'm using it in Low speed mode.

Are the rotor blades all the same looking underneath I my rotors are stamped with A1, A2, or B2? Can the quad be set up in a 'X' or '+' mode?

I took it outside, but when it landed on grass the motor drive cogs chewed up grass and needed 40 mins of careful cleaning to cog teeth.

I only bought it because reviews said it was stable and easy to fly.
nw312 is offline Find More Posts by nw312
Old Mar 05, 2013, 04:02 PM
Trees are bad
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2012
127 Posts
I have a stock WL Toys charger that lost it's over charge protection function but will still output a charge. I don't use it any more but the point is any time you charge a lipo you are taking some risk. That's why charging should always be monitored. Having said that if a charger doesn't charge a discharged lipo above a 1c rate or faster than 1 hour for any mAh size battery, and does not charge above 4.20 volts it should be ok.
Stevez1kart is offline Find More Posts by Stevez1kart
Last edited by Stevez1kart; Mar 05, 2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 04:05 PM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nw312 View Post
I just got a Syma X1 Quadcopter. I'm a bit disappointed with its stability, it needs constant input from the right stick to keep it hovering, due to its tendency to drift all over the place. Indoors can only keep it airborne for 10 to 20 seconds before I have to ground it to stop it crashing into objects. I only have small area to fly it indoors, but surely it must be possible to hover it inside a 4 foot square space?
I am a newbie to R/c in general but I'm think I'm getting the binding procedure correct. The manual is quite poor missing the numbers next to the control descriptions, and bad computer English translations/spellings of original Chinese.

I've tried the trimming controls but they don't do that much. I am I correct in thinking that the trim controls work opposite to the way one might suppose, e.g. to cure a side drift to the left you would push to trim control to the left?

I only let the quad hover a few inches above the ground because it drifts about so much I'm fighting with the left stick to try a keep it hovering in one spot. I'm using it in Low speed mode.

Are the rotor blades all the same looking underneath I my rotors are stamped with A1, A2, or B2? Can the quad be set up in a 'X' or '+' mode?

I took it outside, but when it landed on grass the motor drive cogs chewed up grass and needed 40 mins of careful cleaning to cog teeth.

My guess would be your gyro needs to be reset. Did you quickly set it down after connecting the battery? It could also be seated improperly ie not level. I got one that was bad and returned it. Another is on the way though. At the indoor dome where I fly on sunday my buddy said this was first one of about 10 that wasn't the bees knees and he has a program training kids to fly.
kenstogie is offline Find More Posts by kenstogie
Old Mar 05, 2013, 04:15 PM
Joined Feb 2013
84 Posts
Quote:
One finished charging at one hour (ran this one for 10 mins last night before I crashed)
Second finished charging at 1hr 45 mins, ran it completely dead last night.
Lights turned off both times! Interesting
the 1hr 45min from dead to full charge would be consistent with my experience from dead to almost fully charged at 90mins. That's interesting if the stock charger possibly does have OCP now. Heli Pad, where did you originally learn the charger didn't have OCP?

Quote:
this was my experience as well.. the first time i flew it, I couldn't control it and would constantly crash it into things. I learned how to fly first by just hovering it a few inches off the ground until i learned how it responded. it takes a lot more time than you would thing before the quad will respond, especially if it is moving quickly in the opposite direction.

try hovering it just barely off the ground and see if you can keep it in one spot for as long as possible. make only slight movements on the stick and see how it responds.

if it constantly drifts in one direction no matter what, then either the trim is messed up, the gyros didnt set correctly, or one of the rotors isn't putting out as much juice as the others
Old Mar 05, 2013, 04:34 PM
Autopilot no control
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Feb 2013
281 Posts
It needs to be level when initiating. Try putting the battery into position where it is almost plugged in, then place quad flat on the ground, then press the battery in to initiate and see if it will hover.

Also, you are reversed on trim. If it drifts, you trim it in the direction you would move the stick to correct. So left drift=right trim. But trim it to zero and confirm it is completely level before using trim.
Highly Grounded is online now Find More Posts by Highly Grounded
Old Mar 05, 2013, 04:35 PM
Joined Mar 2013
6 Posts
Quote:

I learned REALLY FAST that if you stay to close to the ground it is hard to control. The X1 does not like its own prop wash much at all. I can hover with no problem at 4 feet elevation inside a 2 square foot area. And that is with beat up out of balance blades.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 04:57 PM
Joined Feb 2013
84 Posts
Quote:
I learned REALLY FAST that if you stay to close to the ground it is hard to control. The X1 does not like its own prop wash much at all. I can hover with no problem at 4 feet elevation inside a 2 square foot area. And that is with beat up out of balance blades.
are you flying with the cover on? i didn't notice any problem flying right above the ground but i dont fly with the cover on
Old Mar 05, 2013, 05:01 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,369 Posts
Helipad detailed his experiment of the X1 charger a while back. Sacrificing one of his LiPO. The X1 charger kept going at 4.27v and I believe he pulled the starting to puff LiPO before it does any harm.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Mar 05, 2013, 05:20 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
X1-14-15: Spare Motors (Specify the wire colors for spin direction)
HP, a suggestion:

In post #2, you might want to add that the spare motor doesn't include the pinion gear. (Even though the photos imply that it does.)

That way, guys will know to keep the pinion from their old motor.

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam