HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:59 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1 Posts
Please help!

I just got my sons X1 out of the box. Went through the bad instructions. Got online to read good instructions. I'm still having major issues with it though. We have other Syma helicopters and have no problems flying those.

Issue 1. As soon as you go to lift off, it immediately flies sideways (1" off ground). I have set it on level ground more than once to try to "reset" it. I have tried trimming it out all the way and nothing happens.

Issue 2. I can't seem to ever switch from "Mode 1" to "Mode 2." Nothing happens when I push the "A" button.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
homegazzer is offline Find More Posts by homegazzer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:01 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,198 Posts
When I got the instruction book out of the box, I got a good chuckle reading it. Talk about poorly translated instructions. There are good instructions online? Please point us to them.

Let me answer the 2nd question first, because it is easier. To switch mode, you need to first turn the Tx off. By "A" button, the manual means the trim button for the aileron, directly below the right stick. While the Tx is off, push this trim button to the right. While holding the trim button to the right, turn on the Tx. This will cause it to toggle to the other mode. Repeat the same procedure to change back.

Now, regarding your 1st question... From what I'm reading, you seem to have a good grasp of the importance of initializing your quad on a flat surface. Make sure that all the trims on your Tx is centered first. This is important, because just last night, my friend told me that he couldn't get his to hover, and he has initialized it. But the Trim on the Tx was way off. So, make sure that they are centered. You should hear a different tone/beep from the Tx when a trim is centered. And you should be able to visually see on the LCD that they are centered. Re-initialize the quad, then try flying it.

If it is still pulling to one side, there is a different problem. Typically, but not always, the quad will pull to a corner, rather than a side (front, back, left on right). Since there are 4 motors/rotors, if system is inferior to the other three, the quad will tip to the weak corner. See if you could identify the weak corner and concentrate in that corner. It's the corner that has less lift.

The million dollar question is why is that that corned has less lift? It could be bad bent rotor. It could be a bad motor, or bad gear, etc. There are a number of possible reasons, but at least you have a place to start and focus on.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:46 PM
a little kid at heart
Poulsbo, Wa
Joined Sep 2004
1,219 Posts
Have you balanced your blades yet. A Must!!

One unbalanced blade can have a HUGE difference in stability on one of these things.

Bill
poulsbobill is offline Find More Posts by poulsbobill
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:47 PM
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Best "chinglish" I've seen yet is my new Syma Apache, which say on each blade:

"Warning. If blade damage, Don't be fly. Otherwise it will create the human body."

Which, when I pondered it, rings true. Being fly makes lots of ladies want to create human bodies with a chap.
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:50 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by homegazzer View Post
I just got my sons X1 out of the box. Went through the bad instructions. Got online to read good instructions. I'm still having major issues with it though. We have other Syma helicopters and have no problems flying those.
Is the AC/Heat running? I notice my single blade and quad are more sensitive than any of my coaxials to the currents from my heater when it's on. To the point that when it comes on I grab a Syma or Drift King. Haven't received my X1 yet, but my tiny Ladybird is effected for sure.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:09 PM
GOT WINGS
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
2,272 Posts
If you are only 1" off the ground, the rotor wash may create havoc with the stability of the copter, you need to get it up a foot to two feet high at least.
siriusflier is online now Find More Posts by siriusflier
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:46 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,048 Posts
I thought I saw a video that outlined how to correctly set the gyro. My model arrived today and naturally I cant find it now! My model bound just fine... do I need to go further?
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:54 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,198 Posts
To properly initialize the gyro, all that is essential is as soon as you connect the battery, turn the quad right side up and set it down on a flat surface.

Some people have trouble binding it to the radio at first. I see that you got that part. As soon as the on board LED changes from a rapid flashing to a solid light, you're good to fly.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:18 AM
Joined Nov 2004
272 Posts
Just got my X1 yesterday and I'm having a blast with it. This is my first attempt at Quads and this is pretty easy to fly so for any 'beginners' out there, go for it. The only downside I see is that it only comes with one flight battery so off to the hobby shop for another one. I bought the EFlite 500 mah battery but it will not slide into the X1 battery cage. Simple fix shown in the photos. Simply carefully cut off the existing battery cage "tabs" with a single edge razor blade and now the EFlite battery will slide in with a nice snug fit. Of course the stock battery will no longer 'lock' in place but the friction fit of the JST connector seems plenty tight to hold the battery in place.
PT Gyro is offline Find More Posts by PT Gyro
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:45 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,545 Posts
I just ordered one of these. My two V929's have many flights on them. Both have held up fine and still fly well with T9X. MQX was bought used and flown it alot also. X-heli has them for $34.95 and just to good to pass + 5% discount. Going to take a few higher end quads semi off line for later. Amazing what is available today compared to five years ago !! Local Hobby shop is mostly planes and could not believe how well a couple of my V911's handled flying inside of the store.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:49 AM
Joined Nov 2004
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
I just ordered one of these. My two V929's have many flights on them. Both have held up fine and still fly well with T9X. MQX was bought used and flown it alot also. X-heli has them for $34.95 and just to good to pass + 5% discount. Going to take a few higher end quads semi off line for later. Amazing what is available today compared to five years ago !! Local Hobby shop is mostly planes and could not believe how well a couple of my V911's handled flying inside of the store.
Amazon.com has them for $34.95 also but with free shipping..
Old Jan 05, 2013, 11:07 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
To properly initialize the gyro.
Thanks!

My Clubs flys indoors tomorrow... Ill give it a shot as a total heli noob!
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Jan 05, 2013, 11:27 AM
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Got mine yesterday.

A few observations:

1) The transmitter from my 939 ladybird will control the X1. The controller from the X1 will control the 939. The problem is, both have shortcomings. There are more power/speed levels on the ladybird controller, but the BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP at 100% is absolutely unbearable. So the x1 is great if you want no beep. The 939 controller is great if you want more levels of control.

2) Flips - can NOT pull off any flips with the 939 (using the correct controller) indoors without bouncing it off the floor. The x1, at double the size, can pull it off. Way more stable hovering too. However, at any level it's not quite as agile as the 939. This is a good thing for a newbie to quads like me, I spend a lot less time trying to keep it stable and still and more time flying it and smiling.

3) Battery - battery life is EXCELLENT. I haven't outright timed it yet, but it's got to be at least double the time I get with other copters. Which is surprising, because it's not a very large battery.

4) Speaking of the battery - the battery thing is driving me nutso. The stock battery is impressing me more than I thought it would. I have three turnigy batteries on the way. They were suggested in the deals thread about the X1, and I ordered some. The Ones I Bought

However I do not have a proper charger for these batteries, and have since come to understand that the charger for the x1 could be dangerous to use with these batteries. So now I need to buy something else. However, at the same time I see that they are selling 3 packs of the proper x1 batteries for $15 on ebay.

So since I'm already impressed with the battery life of the x1, maybe I should just get those and continue using the original charger? Although if I'm impressed with the stock battery, imagine how much longer I'd fly on the 600mah ones I ordered?

I could babble back and forth the good and bad points of either - hoping you guys might help me make up my mind.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:11 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,198 Posts
@Arr0wHead, Given that you don't have a proper charger for the Turnigy 600mAh, you would have to set a timer and charge them carefully. It is a chore. Go back to post #123, and consider a list of charging options there.

I am also very impressed by the stock battery performance. Even with the added OCP, it is about 6g lighter than a typical 600mAh. For that reason, a 600mAh battery will give longer flight time, but not nearly twice the flight time because of the added weight. Not to mention that the Nano Tech 600mAh is Long! And the battery plug is short. You have to carefully position the battery so that it is not off center. I have a handful of NT600, so I know.

I am much more pleased with the Hyperion 550mAh, because it is smaller, shorter, lighter, and punchier. The Hyperion, capable of handling high charge rate, has been one of my favorite 120SR batteries. But it comes with a big price tag. It costs about $8 per battery.

That's a long way of saying that the stock battery is actually quite a good option. I've looked at the Ebay deal. Seller is from Hong Kong. 3x battery is $18 (with shipping). If you don't mind buying from overseas. This is a much better deal.

X1-13: 350mAh Li-Po Battery 3.7v

See post #2 for more parts and pricing.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:12 PM
Joined Nov 2004
272 Posts
I'm getting 9 minutes flight time on the stock battery (so far only indoors on the stock battery) and I get 11 minutes on the Eflight 500 ma battery, indoors or outdoors. Either way that's plenty for me!
I use a Gens Ace charger for these little batteries (from Hobbypartz.com).