HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Sandancer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:23 AM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,735 Posts
Build Log
FMS V7.5 P-51 BBD: The Un-Boxing!

This is my Un-Boxing and evaluation of the FMS 1400mm V7.5 P-51 Big Beautiful Doll!

I must say, I am impressed with this new FMS Version 7.5 P-51 BBD!

UP-DATE 1/11/2013:

I made up a couple of decals for the BBD. One is a more scale kill insignia to replace the rather inaccurate one FMS supplied for the port side fuse (their supposed to be swastikas not crosses). The other is the "Crew" insignia that goes on the port side engine cover.

I would estimate a normal build from box to maiden....2 hrs. max maybe? FMS has done all the work on this bird!

-The CG is 110mm from LE of the wing.
-On page 20 of the Op. manual, the high & low rates for all the control surfaces are listed.
-FMS 65A ESC w/5A SBEC
-They list a 4250-580kv motor in the manual, but mine came with the 4250-540kv motor. That will work for me.
-Battery: 4S 2600mAh, but I could see putting a 5S 4000mAh in her?
-9g servos thru-out, with the exception of the (2) 17g servos for the elevator & rudder.
-9g digital/slow motion servos for the flaps.
-9g reversed servos for the inner LG doors.
-PZ-312 E-Tracts w/full metal struts.
-The sliding canopy is a nice touch, but when it locks into the windshield frame it's kinda hard to get it back open.
-All the control surfaces have pre-installed spars with the exception of the flaps.
-The wings can be made to be 1-piece, but there was no wire harnesses.
-The new radiator scoop is non-functional. I would guess the reason FMS has this as a replacement part now, is due to the wear and tear the scoop endures during one of those aggravating belly landings.

Not much to be done on my mod list:
-Check out all the servos for dependability. Cycle them continuously with the GWS MT1.
-Re-hinge all control surfaces.
-Pilot re-assignment.
-A better sequencer.
-Landing lights, interior light, and tail beacon light.
-Wiring harness for the 1-piece wing mod.
-CC 10A BEC...maybe CC 20A BEC depending on the lights?
-Metal clevises on both the stabilizers.
-Check the struts to make sure they are welded.

Mods I might do:
-Experiment with the 12C 4-blade VarioProp, w/CF spinner.
-Install the new FMS Alum. E-Tracts.

Okay! Here are the pics!
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sandancer; Jan 11, 2013 at 07:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 12:51 PM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,880 Posts
It looks very very good.
Lots of improved stuff. They are only a hair away from a perfect plane. But the latter probably wouldn't be perfect too, as we like to have something to mod...
Good luck with it!
struggleforlife is online now Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:56 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by struggleforlife View Post
It looks very very good.
Lots of improved stuff. They are only a hair away from a perfect plane. But the latter probably wouldn't be perfect too, as we like to have something to mod...
Good luck with it!
I'll tell you what Dave, out of the box, this version is pretty much good to go! The proverbial re-hinging is really the only "to do" on the plane.

As far as my "to do" list, you know me, I like to tinker!

I just finished balancing the prop and hope to have the mod posted soon!

Gary
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:30 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,733 Posts
Where is the link to order?
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2014, 08:19 AM
Joined Feb 2014
1 Posts
Hey Guys i brought a fms P51 from some guy he told me its version 6 after sorting it out and releasing there things not right i went to order some parts to find out it isn't a version 6 how can i work out what model i have

Many Thanks
Maverick0103 is offline Find More Posts by Maverick0103