HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:47 AM
Malaysia, Selangor, Kajang
Joined Jun 2009
1,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy JFlyer View Post
Excited to see the bump!
Thx for the update. I'm dieing to see how this next guy turns out.
So if I may ask, when you get a free moment, (i know this is hard to come buy these days, believe me I do) how would you describe why you prefer your bearing vs the pigtail?
It's probably just me but I found adjusting thrust line to be easier with my bearing since it has only a single wire to bend. The pigtail bearing requires two changes per adjustment: first adjust the thrust line then adjust the pigtail.

It's not much of an issue if you don't change the thrust line much but since my planes tend to be my own design I usually don't have any reference how much down and right thrust is needed for each design. Maybe in a years' time with experience I can get it 90% correct right off the building board but I'm not there yet.

Obviously, if you're building based on a plan you just need to set your thrust line as per the plan. So for most people the pig tail bearing should work just fine. Not to mention that it's a bit easier to build compared to my L shaped bearing.
slebetman is offline Find More Posts by slebetman
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:10 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,442 Posts
adjusting a pig tail is easy if you used glue that can be reset with a touch of solvent
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Jun 29, 2013, 12:09 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
United States, MI, Saint Clair Shores
Joined Dec 2008
5,103 Posts
Bump!
Been a while. I finally have a Butterfly kit and also an Uncle Sam, (Boxy Bipe). Just today went out and got the nec items for building. Really excited to give stick & tissue a go. Looked back through the pics on this thread for reference on things.
So I always think back to this guy and wonder how it turned out. Hope you are still monitoring this thread. Is this latest build flying?

Jimmy
Jimmy JFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy JFlyer
Old Jun 29, 2013, 02:07 PM
F1B is ok.
Monheim am Rhein Germany
Joined Jul 2008
475 Posts
Jimmy,have a look at here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1196

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...=1#post2143500

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...=1#post2214987

Heinz
hastf1b is offline Find More Posts by hastf1b
Old Jun 29, 2013, 02:12 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy JFlyer View Post
Bump!
Been a while. I finally have a Butterfly kit and also an Uncle Sam, (Boxy Bipe). Just today went out and got the nec items for building. Really excited to give stick & tissue a go. Looked back through the pics on this thread for reference on things.
So I always think back to this guy and wonder how it turned out. Hope you are still monitoring this thread. Is this latest build flying?

Jimmy
I lost the latest build. Managed to get it stuck to the rafters of the lobby of my office building . That's part of the reason why there haven't been any updates - I don't have a plane to measure to update the plans with.

Another reason is that I haven't flown free flight for more than a month now. In fact, I'm just back from my first free flight session since April.

Glad to hear you've got your Butterfly. Have you built it yet? Start a build thread on it!
Old Jun 29, 2013, 09:13 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,103 Posts
Heinz, thanks for those links. I really love the little mini-stick at .8 g's you have posted just above the Junior post.
I noticed that post was in English and it looks as though you are offering this as a kit?
Did you modify the Junior kit to a unit that disassembles? Or does Ikara sell it that way?

SLEBETMAN!!! Glad you are still here.
Sorry to hear about the plane's loss. I sure was anxious to hear how it did. Did it fly as expected? And are the latest version of the plans good enough to your liking?

Yes I got my Ikara Butterfly! Woo Hoo. I got it from Cosmic Flyer, aka Mandy from Flighthook. Their E-bay store has a lot of nice stuff. I will be referencing them in my build log. Yes I am going to do a build thread. Both here and over at Hip Pocket Aeronautics. It will be a slow go at it though. I have zero free time these days and will probably just get baby steps at a time done. As a matter of fact I think I will start tonight. Going to build what is quickest and do maybe just the vert stab. Just to get my feet wet before attempting my first wing.

Do you think you will have another go at the Portable Plane?

edit... just took a shot at the tail feathers. Surprised how easy it was with the right stuff. First ever stick & tissue! lol Took about just over an hour to get set up & those 2 pieces cut, pre soaked lined up and then glued & pinned down. I took a bunch of pictures too for the thread. Maybe get it started over the next couple days. I'll post a couple pics tomorrow. Time for bed.
This is cool stuff! I think I have found another addiction...
Last edited by Jimmy JFlyer; Jun 29, 2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 03:08 AM
F1B is ok.
Monheim am Rhein Germany
Joined Jul 2008
475 Posts
Jimmy, no, I do not sell these kits. The Ikara kit I have taken as the basis for the construction of the model. Here is a link in english.

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/...=5118.msg44506 # msg44506

Heinz
Old Jun 30, 2013, 08:49 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,103 Posts
Thanks for the link Heinz.
Slebetman and Heinz, I am seeing that the Junior has a flat wing vs the Butterfly that has the airfoil shape. Both of you guys have flat wings on your creations. Is there a major difference in how they fly between flat and airfoiled wings at this size?
Old Jun 30, 2013, 09:08 AM
F1B is ok.
Monheim am Rhein Germany
Joined Jul 2008
475 Posts
There is no significant difference in performance. The flat bottom has been chosen to newcomers to facilitate the construction. Build the butterfly as it is provided in the kit. Use for covering a glue-stik.

Heinz
Old Jun 30, 2013, 09:21 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,103 Posts
Thanks for the info Heinz. I planned to do that. I am building exactly how it is planned. I also got the glue stick for the covering too.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 10:05 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,103 Posts
Just a heads up, started a build thread...
Sure am having fun with this.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1923324
Old Jul 02, 2013, 10:49 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,387 Posts
First I'd like to apologize to Jimmy JFlyer that this is yet another reason for my neglect of the Portable. On the bright side, I'm building again!

Here's my attempt at an A6 class plane. Similar style to the Portable only it can't be dismantled since I'm aiming for minimum weight. To exploit the rules and lower wing loading as much as possible I made it a tandem wing. I'm going to call it the Dragonfly.

I'm currently using illegal covering (my favorite vege bag plastic) but I'll replace it with condenser paper.

Here's the 2013 AMA rules for A6 class:

26.1. General. Except for the specific rules which apply directly to A-6, the rules for Free Flight Indoor Rubber, Hand Launched Stick model shall apply.
26.2. The model shall be rubber powered and covered with paper.
26.3. The total maxim projected wing area shall be 30 square inches. There is no restriction on the stabilizer area.
26.4. All wing, stabilizer and rudder wood including wing posts shall be 1/16 square wood minimum, except ribs shall be 1/32 X 1/16 minimum. Posts may be rounded in the area of the mounting tubes.
26.5. The motor stick shall be from solid wood of 6 maximum length measured from the front thrust bearing face to the front of the rear hook.
26.6. The propeller shall be 6 maximum diameter with flat blades from balsa no thinner than 1/32.
26.7. The minimum weight of the model shall be 1.2 grams without rubber motor.
26.8. No special materials such as boron, carbon fiber or foam are to be used.

Interestingly, the Portable actually qualifies as an A6 according to the rules.