HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:28 AM
For us He died, in me He lives
United States, MI, Saint Clair Shores
Joined Dec 2008
5,122 Posts
Thx for the great explanation. That helps... a lot.
The only thing I am not sure about would be how the wing is attached. I can't wait to make one of these. Still will be a few but i plan on at least making it to the lhs some time this next week. I'll post pics once i finally take a shot at this.
Jimmy JFlyer is online now Find More Posts by Jimmy JFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:17 PM
Malaysia, Selangor, Kajang
Joined Jun 2009
1,453 Posts
Lost the plane today. Flew at the train station again. In the mornings there is a very slight breeze that comes from the direction of the tracks blowing inwards towards the train station. So the plane has a tendency to drift slowly towards the turnstiles. Which means I have to compensate by launching nearer the stairs leading to the tracks. Didn't realize that today is opposite day and the plane drifted in the other direction - towards the tracks! It landed on the tracks and that was that.

Which means that I'm going to have to build a new one. Which, depending on your point of view, is a good thing. I get to document the build and post it here.

So stay tuned.
slebetman is offline Find More Posts by slebetman
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:38 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,122 Posts
Wow, sorry for the loss but super excited for a build log!
Anxiously awaiting the pics and process details.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:20 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,482 Posts
aw that sucks, but you know it flew well, so now you get to make it fly better with refinements
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:53 AM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Must get into my old mags to find out about "matchbox" models. seems to me it got into oneupmanship, and some guy had a 24" span rubber job with about 20-odd parts to it, and flew and flew and flew...
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:54 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,453 Posts
OK, here's the preliminary plan. Didn't have time to build it tonight. I'll start tomorrow.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:04 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,122 Posts
Oh man I'm excited!
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:16 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,453 Posts
Managed to get some time during lunch to refine the plans. This version includes all measurements (that I can think of) necessary to build the plane except the CG and wing post location (which is related to CG). My style of building is to test glide the plane and keep shifting the wing location until the CG is right.

I drew the plane with a pig tail thrust bearing but the original used my 'L' shaped thrust bearing. Not sure if I'll be using the pig tail.

Anyway, here's the latest plans:
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:18 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,453 Posts
OK started the build but didn't get much done. My phone battery was flat so I had to wait for it to charge to take pictures of the build. At least I made good use of the wait time to do some repairs on my RC planes.

Did manage to make the templates. So tomorrow's build session should be much more productive. The templates are simply glued onto cardboard. For the wing and tail templates, don't use cardboard that's too thick. The ideal template should be the same thickness as you balsa sticks.

I'm not going to bother making a template for the rudder. I'll just pin sticks onto the plan.
Last edited by slebetman; Feb 06, 2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:44 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,122 Posts
Can't wait to see you start laying sticks. Really anxious to see how you build this guy. Not so sure I'll be able to wait to build this one.
I do the same thing with my foamies regarding test gliding for CG. All my foamies, whether the CG was marked on a set of plans or not I always did a test glide of the bare airframe before gear with just test temporary weight that I would just move around until I found that perfect level glide and belly landing. Never failed me yet. Looking forward to seeing close up how you actually mount everything.
Thanks for sharing all of this and your hard work.

Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:14 PM
SlingWinger
San Bernardino, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
1,691 Posts
One way I've used to keep the plane from climbing too much is to add more pitch to the prop.

I use a short piece of light plastic tubing for a prop hub. The ink tube from a ball point pen might work, or maybe one of those little straws for stirring your coffee.

I use a short piece of round toothpick as a prop blade spar, which plugs into the tube prop hub. I can adjust the pitch of the prop easily. Adding pitch or using a larger blade size can absorb more of the rubber's torque and reduce the climb height.

Haven't made one of these planes in years but this thread is getting me interested again.
dayhead is offline Find More Posts by dayhead
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:00 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,453 Posts
OK, real build progress. Built the flying surfaces - wings and tailfeathers. Tomorrow I'll start building the stick and we should hopefully be able to make some test flights.

Can't figure out a good way to describe the process along with the pictures without splitting it into multiple posts so I'll just describe it in the pictures. Read it like a comic strip.

Some general comments before we look at the pics.

For this plane, the templates are actually kind of overkill. But it is the normal way of doing things and becomes helpful when building more complex shapes - especially curved shapes. I built the originals directly on top of the plans without templates. I built the rudder this way partly to show how I built the original and partly because the rudder is on the opposite side of the rest of the templates.

I'm using 1mm balsa but my balsa is quite heavy. 1mm is roughly 1/24" but if you have good balsa, not necessarily contest grade but light balsa, then use 1/16" or 1.5mm.

Now, on to the build. First we need to do some prep work:
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:32 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,453 Posts
Now that we have the raw materials we can start building:
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:57 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,122 Posts
Very cool. That settles it. I will NOT be able to wait until after doing other stick & tissues before trying this one out. I have always wanted to be able to fly in the house and now to be able to do it without the hassle of micro electronics is just too much to pass up.
Thx so much for the build log. Very well done. I don't have a single question.
Looking forward to see how you do the stick and mount everything.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:46 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,453 Posts
OK, huge update. I've got about 100 pictures. Even if I discard half of them that's still 50 pictures. So I think I'll split this into multiple posts.

The first is building the fuse. Cut sheet balsa to the dimensions shown in the plans for the motor stick and tail boom. At this point don't taper anything yet. Cut everything straight.

I use a different method to apply minimal glue for large surface areas. I quickly apply the CA to the part directly from the tube/bottle. Then I quickly wipe excess glue with a tissue or paper towel before quickly joining the parts together. I repeated 'quickly' three times there because you need to be really quick about it. Especially after wiping/dabbing the excess glue. The cellulose in tissue paper acts as a kicker and you have around 5 seconds before the glue hardens. Practice on some scrap balsa to get used to the technique.

Alternatively, you can use slow setting glue like PVA or Duco or UHU.

Here's the build process: