HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by alumina, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:38 PM
Joined Oct 2012
133 Posts
Trader Rating: 2
Wanted
worst christmas day ever

Well, I lost my quad. It was Christmas day at noon, I went to a shopping plaza to shot some pics. It was an easy up, take a few pics and down flight, I just had to clear some palm trees on my way up. but when I got high over the building a gust of wind started to carry the quad, I lost orientation, and the quadd was getting further downwind, I thought that it was best to lower it and then I cut the throttle and it fell out of my sight way behind the building. i ve been looking for it since, with no luck. it is a residential area so at the beginning I was worried it felt on someone, but apparently nobody even so it. So I don't know where it landed and nobody so it. It could be hanging from one of the many trees or on a roof or just in the bushes somewhere.
All these happened at the time I got my first clients aligned for some realstate sessions. Me and my wife were very excited with this project and saw it as a good idea to earn some extra money we so much need. I even registeres the domain aluminaproductions.com for my website!
Now, I feel like an idiot. I ruin it. It was all my fault not the quad, I should have known better.My wife wants to kill me.

So I will ask my fellow pilots if anybody has a quad and or a gopro that would like to sell at a very reasonable price and good condition to help me get back into business. I don't have the money for a new setup right now.

The analysis of the accident and way to prevent it or to react is going to be the subject to aanother thread.....

thanks
Marry christmas and happy new year for all!!

ALUMINA

alumina is offline Find More Posts by alumina
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:05 PM
United States, PA, Slatington
Joined Sep 2010
1,856 Posts
Trader Rating: 81
might want to go into the plaza office and see if anyone can check the roof .or leave your name and number in case its found .
could be a double edge sword though too .as in if it crashed on the roof and damaged something you would be liable .
sorry to hear this i had a similar thing happen to me at a school i fly at but turns out my quad got blown away into a tall bush ,i was lucky enough to find it by listening to the sound the motors made(the hi pitch whine) ,when i throttled up a little i could hear it off in the distance and kept following the sound until i found it .
like you i was very distraught ,i had not had it long .
many a quads come up for sale here ,you will find something
good luck.
helizrnew2me is online now Find More Posts by helizrnew2me
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:20 PM
ProFester
United States, NY, Wallkill
Joined Feb 2008
184 Posts
Trader Rating: 21
Ouch , Thats a tuff one . Look closer than you think . They all look further when they go down ...Hope this helps ..Good luck ,Lots of Quads here for sale ...Keep the faith ...rotors up
Fester 1 is offline Find More Posts by Fester 1
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:28 PM
USA, RI, East Providence
Joined Jun 2010
418 Posts
Trader Rating: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fester 1 View Post
Ouch , Thats a tuff one . Look closer than you think . They all look further when they go down ...Hope this helps ..Good luck ,Lots of Quads here for sale ...Keep the faith ...rotors up
This is so true. I assumed a loss when my hex came down a few weeks back. I was looking way out in the woods and had just about given up when my buddy found it right at the edge of the field we were in...

Hope you retrieve it. But I'm sure something good will come along also.
crashtested is offline Find More Posts by crashtested
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:18 PM
United States, NC, Cary
Joined Apr 2012
2 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Lost my quad the same way and never found it. Good lucky finding yours.
wanttodofpv is offline Find More Posts by wanttodofpv
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:44 PM
Creator of the 1st 6S HT-Flip!
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,458 Posts
Trader Rating: 62
That sucks there's a cpl things u can do to help prevent things like this. 1 get a lost model alarm there $7 I think and work awesome it has saved my tricopter 2 times. Also if you using FPV equipment on your quad invest in a dvr. It's so worth it. My friends plane went down over 4000ft away and we just kept watching the dvr and try inf to pin point where it went down and within a hr we found it. As far as cheap stuff I have a gopro hero 2 that I don't use. The lense is scratched but you can get the lense replaced for I think $50 I could sell that to you for like $100 as far as quads go in the future get something with GPS hold and RTH like a naza. It works awesome and flies right back and lands with a flick of a switch. Hope this helps.
flohio117 is offline Find More Posts by flohio117
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:45 PM
United States, TX, Hockley
Joined Sep 2012
53 Posts
Trader Rating: 9
lost quad

I lost my hexacopter. I cleared a 200 by 700 field with no luck, and finally found it across the street with a good camera view of the neat upside down flying I had been doing.
Added the gps very quickly!
Good luck in your endeavor
RDbottos
rbottos is offline Find More Posts by rbottos
Last edited by rbottos; Dec 28, 2012 at 09:46 PM. Reason: bad writing
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:18 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
1,861 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
Its not really responsible to fly around people without GPS locked hovers and RTH. Just think of those first moments when you were praying it didnt land on someone.
With GPS, it wont have drifted downwind. You could have hovered until you regained orientation. You could have put it in heading hold mode or whatever they call that mode where cyclic down brings it back to you. or You could just engage RTH and have it come home. Not trying to preach but.... good luck w the new bird dude.
harryarnold is offline Find More Posts by harryarnold
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:38 AM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,789 Posts
Trader Rating: 18
I don't want to preach either, but maybe you're not ready to turn this into a business??

If simple thing like a wind gusts takes it away, maybe you should stick with it as a hobby till you get better!

Good luck with the search.
TurboRacer is online now Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:46 AM
3d Master in Training
United States, PA, Tunkhannock
Joined Dec 2011
712 Posts
Trader Rating: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRacer View Post
I don't want to preach either, but maybe you're not ready to turn this into a business??

If simple thing like a wind gusts takes it away, maybe you should stick with it as a hobby till you get better!

My thoughts exactly
garrettt04s is offline Find More Posts by garrettt04s
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:20 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRacer View Post

Agreed. If you hurt someone and it makes the newspaper you will be hurting the other AP people who have invested the time to learn what not to do. I take pictures for friends and my rig cost me $3,000, i built it not to fail and it has systems in place in case it does. I know your quad and gopro seems like a big loss but if you hurt someone it could cost you thousands and possibly even jail time.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:28 PM
Joined Oct 2012
133 Posts
Well, I'm back from another unsucceful search.

Thanks to you all for your support and advice. I would have to agree with pretty much everything that was said here.
I did not have enough experience, that's obvious given the results, but before this flight I thought I had it
I wasn't at ease with the location before the flight, I didn't like that there were people around, thats why I shoot on christmas day that the plaza was closed, nor the fact that I could not see far because I was surrounded by buildings. I never thought I would loose the quad like that. I should have listened to my guts.
I am very happy that nobody got hurt, it could have ruined someones life.
I would be much more careful in the future selecting my locations, if and when I get on the air again, thats for sure.
I live in a third world country in the caribbrean, unfortunately I dont have someone who can teach me so it was all by myself. I probably own(ed) the only quad in the island!
for us to access that kind of technology is very hard, we don't earn in dollars here. So for my family is a serious set back, even if the amount of money lost is not huge in the big picture. we were hoping to be starting a new business, even if it was a small one.
Mcrites, I would love to have a 3000$ rig!!!!
but that is not going to happen for now, I have other priorities moneywise.
I don't think you need a top end rig to get decent pics for realstate, I'm not talking hollywood. But having some safety features will be in my wish list for my next bird.
Again thanks to all
Cheers
Alumina
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:37 PM
Joined Oct 2012
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flohio117 View Post
That sucks there's a cpl things u can do to help prevent things like this. 1 get a lost model alarm there $7 I think and work awesome it has saved my tricopter 2 times. Also if you using FPV equipment on your quad invest in a dvr. It's so worth it. My friends plane went down over 4000ft away and we just kept watching the dvr and try inf to pin point where it went down and within a hr we found it. As far as cheap stuff I have a gopro hero 2 that I don't use. The lense is scratched but you can get the lense replaced for I think $50 I could sell that to you for like $100 as far as quads go in the future get something with GPS hold and RTH like a naza. It works awesome and flies right back and lands with a flick of a switch. Hope this helps.

thanks for the offer, I will talk to my wife.
what accesories you come with the gopro?
cheers
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:01 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Aug 2012
11 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Come on guys! Rally round, bet we could make a quad between us with all our extra parts. I'll start by donating a frame. How about it lads!
Dubliner is offline Find More Posts by Dubliner
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:20 PM
Joined Oct 2012
133 Posts
wow!!
Thanks a lot dubliner!!