alumina is offline Find More Posts by alumina
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:38 PM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,040 Posts
Alumina-

I've got an HK KK 2.1 flight controller I'll donate to help you get back in the air. It's not as fancy as the HK KK 2.0, but it can be tuned to fly pretty well. Maybe it can help you learn to fly while you're saving for something better.

Tell me how I can get this to you.

Rick
2400RDR is offline Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:07 PM
Joined Apr 2010
1,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alumina View Post
i ve been looking for it since, with no luck.
Some time ago, I have had the same adventure.
After searching everywhere, I have distributed in the whole area a search advice "Wanted, Quadcopter..."
After what I have been contacted, it had landed on a car windshield, destroying it.
Everything went fine.
Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Mortimer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 5V Power Supply
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:21 PM
Joined Oct 2012
133 Posts
Rick, thank you very much. I'll let you know if I'll need it.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:13 AM
Joined Aug 2008
197 Posts
Care-free (mag-compass) mode

Most newer boards have a magnetometer/compass, so you can flip into a "easy-mode" when in trouble, where you do not have to know the orientation of the quad.

KK2.0 does not have this, as far as I know though.

I use an APM2 now that does have this mode.

This one is less than double the cost of the KK2.0 and does have compass. Although I don't know about the firmware, software and documentation compared with APM2.
kaon is offline Find More Posts by kaon
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:22 AM
Anything can be made to fly
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Brondby
Joined Jun 2011
309 Posts
I feel you pain bro, that is every Rc pilots nightmare . Like i always say, get back unto your horse and take it with a smile. It could have been worse if your Quad fell on a child and hurt him .
On another note, if you live on an Island, then it is bound to show up sooner or later. Its not really something you can sell on the black market.

here are a few safety tips.
1. always write your name and phone number on a little paper strip and tape it to your craft
2. never fly in bad weather or over water.
3. Buy a plane alarm that screams with the flip of a switch on your transmitter to lead you by sound to its position.
4.Buy a small GPS tracker that can SMS you its coordinates. (see ebay under GPS trackers)
5.use a flight controller with a RTH (Return to home) function that you can flip a switch to make it come home in an emergency. (Example Naza or Wookong)
6.Add a GPS OSD device that can show you the crafts position on map (example EzOSD)
echo75 is offline Find More Posts by echo75
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:53 AM
Joined Apr 2010
1,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alumina View Post
it is a residential area so at the beginning I was worried it felt on someone, but apparently nobody even so it.
It could be possible somebody found it, unplugged the battery and put it inside without knowing where it came from.
That's what happened to mine.

I suggest you to write a leaflet and distribute it in the area where it falled.
I have done it and it has worked, somebody brought my quad back.
My leaflet is below.

All my quads now have a tag with my phone number.
Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Mortimer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 5V Power Supply
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:07 PM
Joined Nov 2005
259 Posts
Are you sure you landed behind the building and not on top of the building. Often it seems that you multirotor is further away than it actually is.

Going in the AP business often looks like it's going to provide some 'easy' money. But taking the actual photo's is just a very small portion of running a business. Getting new clients, post productions of the photo's, account keeping, taxes, getting appropriate insurance for commercial usage and time for traveling and getting you gear ready is a multitude of the time you get to spent flying.

I you are on a budget than you should ask yourself whether it is worth the stress and hours to be doing this. Loosing gear and other unforeseen expenses should be well covered in your business plan.

It's much more fun to start out as a pilot for someone else. That way you went have any stress of loosing gear and running a business

I sincerely hope you find your quadcopter soon.
Menno is offline Find More Posts by Menno
Last edited by Menno; Dec 30, 2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:16 PM
Joined Oct 2012
133 Posts
thanks for the advice,
I already gave some flyers, no luck yet.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:23 PM
Joined Nov 2004
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer View Post
It could be possible somebody found it, unplugged the battery and put it inside without knowing where it came from.
That's what happened to mine.

I suggest you to write a leaflet and distribute it in the area where it falled.
I have done it and it has worked, somebody brought my quad back.
My leaflet is below.

All my quads now have a tag with my phone number.
Per AMA, all models are supposed to have your AMA number and contact info on the outside of the model (USA anyway) and yes, I know, nobody does it...
PT Gyro is offline Find More Posts by PT Gyro
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:24 PM
Joined Oct 2012
133 Posts
thanks Menno
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:09 PM
Sodbust NW Kansas
United States, KS, Penokee
Joined Oct 2012
175 Posts
Lost my quad 3 times with the same story.. Got too high,, lost direction,, and a gust of wind took it away..

Every time it was 1/2 the distance I felt it was when I saw it fall. The one time I just gave up until dark came,,, as mine has lights when the motors run.. I would just tap the power on and off a little with the TX till I saw the lights. After the last chase I wired the LEDs solid to the battery so on all the time just for this reason.

Have to say,, its all part of the game and the learning curve..
Sodbust
Sodbust is offline Find More Posts by Sodbust
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just an old farmer... !!
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:14 AM
Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
821 Posts
This is more than a lost copter story… Don’t give up on the dream! Starting your own business usualy involves an accumulation of failures and setbacks before you experience success.

Some thoughts:
1st mental notes to self:

1) Failure is an event not a person. (We are not defined by our misfortunes).
2) It’s easier to go from failure to success then excuses to success.
3) Never have a victim mentality. Playing the victim disempowers a person.
4) Never say there is nothing I can do, but pursue solutions.
5) The people who get the so called breaks in life are people who anteed up and are IN THE GAME.

Things you can do:

• Benefit from all mistakes, Evaluate them and learn from them.
• Learn from the mistakes of others… (you’ll never have time to make them all yourself)
• Do what you love. People with passion have the “success advantage”, Education does not secure your success, getting money does not secure your success. The ONLY thing all self-made success has in common is passion.
• Don’t complain. Benjamin Franklin said “I never met a man who was good at complaining that was good at anything else.
• Educate yourself on the endeavor. Know the cost and ask if you are willing to start paying that cost today.

I could go on… But won’t hijack your thread… Wishing you success! Mike-A
Mike-A is offline Find More Posts by Mike-A
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:44 AM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,387 Posts
C...
The Enemy is offline Find More Posts by The Enemy
Last edited by The Enemy; Jan 02, 2013 at 11:03 PM. Reason: to clear up any negativity on my part
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:11 AM
Anything can be made to fly
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Brondby
Joined Jun 2011
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Enemy View Post
There are 2 threads on this? Why?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1797130

Watch yourselves out there. Make sure this is legit before you send stuff out. I'm sure the op will have no problem with that if it's true. (But will disappear or have excuses if it's a scam...)

My questions.
#1 Why so quickly with the Miami ship address? If it's free from other members, I'm sure a home address would work too. The little extra wait is not that bad for free stuff!
#2 If you have registered a domain name for your business, why doesn't it have more? No pics, nothing. I guess while you wait you can build up your website into being more than just what you would find on a business card.

C.
While I agree with you that there is no need to have to threads on the same topic

I myself have lived in a Third World country before and home shipping addresses do not work ! In Many developing countries residences are never numerically arranged and towns are usually not planned .

As regards to his website , I do not know why there are no pictures on it but the guy does have the Facebook page with some music and dj stuff. He also mentions aerial photos there.

Finally I see no reason to put doubt any time you're donating for charity, If people feel moved to help this guy let them do it. Nobody is forcing anyone to give anything and I believe those who donate will still receive the positive karma they are entitled to , scam or not.

I personally think it's a great idea to help this guy out, It is a symbolic gesture from the community as a whole. The guy originally asked for parts he could BUY cheap, the idea to donate them free came from other members of the forum and I see nothing wrong with that.
echo75 is offline Find More Posts by echo75