HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:35 PM
Joined Oct 2012
133 Posts
Discussion
I'm so screwed, a bad christmas day

Well, I lost my quad. It was Christmas day at noon, I went to a shopping plaza to shot some pics. It was an easy up, take a few pics and down flight, I just had to clear some palm trees on my way up. but when I got high over the building a gust of wind started to carry the quad, I lost orientation, and the quadd was getting further downwind, I thought that it was best to lower it and then I cut the throttle and it fell out of my sight way behind the building. i ve been looking for it since, with no luck. it is a residential area so at the beginning I was worried it felt on someone, but apparently nobody even so it. So I don't know where it landed and nobody so it. It could be hanging from one of the many trees or on a roof or just in the bushes somewhere.
All these happened at the time I got my first clients aligned for some realstate sessions. Me and my wife were very excited with this project and saw it as a good idea to earn some extra money we so much need. I even registeres the domain aluminaproductions.com for my website!
Now, I feel like an idiot. I ruin it. It was all my fault not the quad, I should have known better.My wife wants to kill me.

So I will ask my fellow pilots if anybody has a quad and or a gopro that would like to sell at a very reasonable price and good condition to help me get back into business. I don't have the money for a new setup right now.

The analysis of the accident and way to prevent it or to react is going to be the subject to aanother thread.....

thanks
Marry christmas and happy new year for all!!

ALUMINA

PS: The title of the thread is based on an infected mushroom track

alumina is offline Find More Posts by alumina
Last edited by alumina; Dec 29, 2012 at 10:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:57 PM
froots loops
Joined Apr 2012
824 Posts
There is worst then this in life
Getting your driver stolen by cops because they dont like what you drive
going to court and a juge in 10 minutes tell you all what you have will be sold
having no choice to defend your family with donuts and the media to save what you have
having the swatt breaking in your house pointing gun in the face of your family and puting you in prison in a state of shock for donuts is priceless for the rest there master card chill out,
want to make extra cash
Find something to buy and sell www.ec21.com
and I forgot getting your car stolen and the insurance company do not want to paid
that my life and it suck
saskya is online now Find More Posts by saskya
Last edited by saskya; Dec 28, 2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:06 PM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,114 Posts
A guy lost his $16,000 MultiRotor with Camera in a river and never found it.

This is a risky business.
Another guy's Quad was shot at by a shotgun and lost a portion and crashed. Get ready for painful moments...
BenHayat is offline Find More Posts by BenHayat
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:32 PM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,080 Posts
Jeez- these are some amazing posts about PAIN.

I just wanted to ask the OP if he had spent much time getting LOS piloting chops together before deciding to dive into the AP business.

Just wondering.
2400RDR is offline Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:40 PM
froots loops
Joined Apr 2012
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHayat View Post
A guy lost his $16,000 MultiRotor with Camera in a river and never found it.

This is a risky business.
Another guy's Quad was shot at by a shotgun and lost a portion and crashed. Get ready for painful moments...
He should have added $4 flotting foam
bad call over a river and no quad safety
saskya is online now Find More Posts by saskya
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:47 PM
SMILE you're being recorded :)
Joined Apr 2010
755 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss.

I have none for sale at the moment, but been at your position after a GPS bug on my first multirotor, I learned about two useful accessories:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ne_Finder.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GPS-GSM-Pers...item20ce4898f0

You can strip the GPS locator from the box to make it lighter and use a big shrink tube to protect the electronic parts.
Velociraptor73 is offline Find More Posts by Velociraptor73
Last edited by Velociraptor73; Dec 28, 2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:49 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alumina View Post
Well, I lost my quad. It was Christmas day at noon, I went to a shopping plaza to shot some pics. It was an easy up, take a few pics and down flight, I just had to clear some palm trees on my way up. but when I got high over the building a gust of wind started to carry the quad, I lost orientation, and the quadd was getting further downwind, I thought that it was best to lower it and then I cut the throttle and it fell out of my sight way behind the building. i ve been looking for it since, with no luck. it is a residential area so at the beginning I was worried it felt on someone, but apparently nobody even so it. So I don't know where it landed and nobody so it. It could be hanging from one of the many trees or on a roof or just in the bushes somewhere.
All these happened at the time I got my first clients aligned for some realstate sessions. Me and my wife were very excited with this project and saw it as a good idea to earn some extra money we so much need. I even registeres the domain aluminaproductions.com for my website!
Now, I feel like an idiot. I ruin it. It was all my fault not the quad, I should have known better.My wife wants to kill me.

So I will ask my fellow pilots if anybody has a quad and or a gopro that would like to sell at a very reasonable price and good condition to help me get back into business. I don't have the money for a new setup right now.

The analysis of the accident and way to prevent it or to react is going to be the subject to aanother thread.....

thanks
Marry christmas and happy new year for all!!

ALUMINA

PS: The title of the thread is based on an infected mushroom track

If you cannot handle a multi rotor safely I recommend NOT getting back into business until you have more practice. This is not a game. This can have very serious consequences. Especially if you hit some one or damage some property. losing your machine is the least of your problem. Not understand the situation, using inadequate equipment without the skill to control the machine is a real dangerous situation waiting for more accidents to happen.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:53 PM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskya View Post
He should have added $4 flotting foam
bad call over a river and no quad safety
This was a strong flowing river in northern CA mountains. No $4 floating foam would have saved a 20 ponds MultiRotor.
And that wasn't a Quad.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:55 PM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
If you cannot handle a multi rotor safely I recommend NOT getting back into business until you have more practice. This is not a game. This can have very serious consequences. Especially if you hit some one or damage some property. losing your machine is the least of your problem. Not understand the situation, using inadequate equipment without the skill to control the machine is a real dangerous situation waiting for more accidents to happen.
Excellent point. Those blades are super dangerous with the speed they rotate. Another member's face got torn up during setup, when the copter suddenly went off in front of his face.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:08 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,704 Posts
I feel your pain, I lost my first quad under similar circumstances. Got too high, lost orientation, it was windy. I plodded around a cow paddy for over 4 hours and never found it. I learned an expensive lesson that day and one that I never repeated. Fly within your ability level, take baby steps before you jump off the cliff. Just because you can shoot some GoPro video does not make you a A/P company. There is a big difference between guys like you and me, and the professionals that do this as a business. That have the post production capabilities. I have been doing this for a few years, I have some high end equipment, I am not a professional and would not even consider trying to compete against those that are. They have $10's of thousands of dollars invested in their equipment, and someone comes in and offers to do the job for $.10 on the $1.00. Will it be as good no, but in this economy the lowest bidder a lot of the time gets the gig. My suggestion is to pay some dues. Get with a Pro A/P guy and do some freebee grunt work and learn everything you can. Fly MR's, learn to fly SR Helis. Be a pilot, they are in higher demand than the camera guy.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:33 PM
Joined Oct 2012
133 Posts
Well, I'm back from another unsucceful search.

Thanks to you all for your support and advice. I would have to agree with pretty much everything that was said here.
I did not have enough experience, that's obvious given the results, but before this flight I thought I had it
I wasn't at ease with the location before the flight, I didn't like that there were people around, thats why I shoot on christmas day that the plaza was closed, nor the fact that I could not see far because I was surrounded by buildings. I never thought I would loose the quad like that. I should have listened to my guts.
I am very happy that nobody got hurt, it could have ruined someones life.
I would be much more careful in the future selecting my locations, if and when I get on the air again, thats for sure.

I live in a third world country in the caribbrean, unfortunately I dont have someone who can teach me so it was all by myself. I probably own(ed) the only quad in the island!
for us to access that kind of technology is very hard, we don't earn in dollars here. So for my family is a serious set back, even if the amount of money lost is not huge in the big picture. we were hoping to be starting a new business, even if it was a small one.

I don't think you need a top end rig to get decent pics for realstate, I'm not talking hollywood. But having some safety features will be in my wish list for my next bird
Again thanks to all
Cheers
Alumina
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:37 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Seems like you live in a place which is expensive to ship things to. You should tell us what kind of quad you had and what you think is a 'reasonable' amount of cash.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:59 PM
Israel, Ness Ziona
Joined Sep 2004
4,662 Posts
HI
As i do know!!
It will be Mach closer distance as you think it is!!
I have been in "this movie"
And every time is was Mach closer then i was serching for!!

do not give up!!
Put some sighns out for 100$ prise if a kid will found it.

Guy
guyg is offline Find More Posts by guyg
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:27 PM
Joined Oct 2012
133 Posts
hi wiseduck,
Don't worry about shipping. I have an address in Fl. They forward me the mail.
I had an Ifly4 with kk2, nothing special but very stable.
"reasonable" being as litlte as posible
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:04 PM
Joined Apr 2012
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskya View Post
There is worst then this in life
Getting your driver stolen by cops because they dont like what you drive
going to court and a juge in 10 minutes tell you all what you have will be sold
having no choice to defend your family with donuts and the media to save what you have
having the swatt breaking in your house pointing gun in the face of your family and puting you in prison in a state of shock for donuts is priceless for the rest there master card chill out,
want to make extra cash
Find something to buy and sell www.ec21.com
and I forgot getting your car stolen and the insurance company do not want to paid
that my life and it suck
What in the _________ is this all about!!??
CraigVMN is offline Find More Posts by CraigVMN