HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:30 AM
South Africa, GP, Nigel
Joined Sep 2009
158 Posts
The head plate from Hobbyking must be some other material. I was told by some plastic supplier that polycarb can not be lazer cut. I have been useing 1.5 mm polycarb for many years now and never had a failed head yet. On my Crane fly and Fire Fly I used 1.5 mm polycarb using Tom s dimensions with a round bottom plate dia 80 mm also 1.5mm polycarb to prevent possible tail strikes.
Hope this info helps.
Martin
Tinmar is offline Find More Posts by Tinmar
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:43 AM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,720 Posts
Yes, your info helps a lot!

FYI, I have laser cut thin (~1/16") polycarbonate quite a bit personally, and it is possible, but probably is not preferred by many people. The carbon really mucks up the laser lenses, and produces a toxic smoke like most plastics do. Also the laser settings and focus must be just right to as the polycarb will catch on fire, melt, and/or re-bond behind the laser. It also discolors the polycarb at the edges, usually turning them brown, but this is minimized if you cut it with the plastic film on, then remove it after cutting. It is also possible that he heat may compromise the strength of the polycarb, but I don't know for sure on that one.

Anyways, for my purposes I wouldn't laser cut the poly anyways, I will just hand cut the delta flapper thing as it is much faster.
Derek_S is online now Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:10 AM
Joined Feb 2012
680 Posts
It looks fine Derek Are you planning to fit a rudder ? if not I would add some more area to the rear of the fin. Will try and post a link to the GF board supplier as the postage should not be to bad.
Don't worry about making the blades , just try and select blanks of even weight share progress and ask if anything is not clear.

Tom.
Tom Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tom Wright
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:19 AM
Joined Feb 2012
680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_S View Post
Thought I would post a progress picture. I dread building the blades the most, but she is well on her way! I have altered the plan a little but so I could use materials that i had laying around, but for the most part is per the instructions.
Derek just noticed the mast is at 90 degrees , am I correct in asumming you have yet to fix the back stay ? Mast should have a back angle of 9 degrees.

Tom.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:24 AM
Joined Feb 2012
680 Posts
http://hobbyplastic.co.uk/index.php?...ex&cPath=52_54

Have only ever used 0.8 gf so you will have to rely on martins info for alternatives. The gf cuts with a good pair of scissors

Tom.
Last edited by Tom Wright; Mar 11, 2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:34 AM
United Kingdom, Gt Lon
Joined Jan 2010
92 Posts
i have noticed that you have 9 degrees on this version of your Crane Fly but on your other one which you send PDF files the mast is at 90 degrees,i am quireing this as just about to finish my one (the one you sent me the files for)
i get all my fibreglass from hobbyplastics as it is good and have thickness from 1/64 1/32 1/16 up to 1/4
regards Jeff
jeffstu is offline Find More Posts by jeffstu
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:03 PM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wright View Post
It looks fine Derek Are you planning to fit a rudder ? if not I would add some more area to the rear of the fin. Will try and post a link to the GF board supplier as the postage should not be to bad.
Don't worry about making the blades , just try and select blanks of even weight share progress and ask if anything is not clear.

Tom.
Yes, probably going to add rudder, but thanks, didn't realize the area was too small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wright View Post
Derek just noticed the mast is at 90 degrees , am I correct in asumming you have yet to fix the back stay ? Mast should have a back angle of 9 degrees.

Tom.
You are right, it is just not fixed backwards yet. I will have to do that as soon as I figure out where I placed my protractor. I had it 2 days ago, now it's lost...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:21 PM
Joined Feb 2012
680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstu View Post
i have noticed that you have 9 degrees on this version of your Crane Fly but on your other one which you send PDF files the mast is at 90 degrees,i am quireing this as just about to finish my one (the one you sent me the files for)
i get all my fibreglass from hobbyplastics as it is good and have thickness from 1/64 1/32 1/16 up to 1/4
regards Jeff

Hi Jeff.

If you are building the SFH then the mast is set 9 degrees back, the dual function head MK 2 has the mast vertical.

Tom.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:44 AM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,720 Posts
More progress...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:21 AM
Joined Feb 2012
680 Posts
Great stuff Derek , it looks spot on from the photo, are you using the C-30 blades or making a set ?

Tom.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:25 AM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,720 Posts
I am making some. They are not in stock, and according to HK comments, they haven't been in stock for a year.

I have made 2 already, and they seem easy enough to make.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:12 PM
Wallingford, Ct
Joined Sep 2001
1,894 Posts
Be careful using the template for the delta plate. Mine printed with one hole at about a 40 mm radius instead of the 43 mm radius of the others. Don't know if my printer is the problem or not so proceed with caution.
Al M is offline Find More Posts by Al M
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:46 PM
Joined Feb 2012
680 Posts
A1

The template is spot on here it is as a separate item from the blog.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:12 PM
Wallingford, Ct
Joined Sep 2001
1,894 Posts
Tom,

I guessed it was from printing on my end and you confirmed it.

Al
Al M is offline Find More Posts by Al M
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:33 PM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,720 Posts
Now just waiting on the bearings and glass fiber to arrive in the mail.. All else seems ready except the rotors, which I have made, just not reinforced with piano wire or anything.

I have a question, though: Why 3 blades on the main rotor? Why is this most common? Just curious why are 4 or 2 seemingly less common in models autogyros?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Derek_S; Jan 21, 2013 at 07:24 AM.