HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:52 AM
Wallingford, Ct
Joined Sep 2001
1,934 Posts
Temperature and wind are good, but there is heavy fog!
Al M is offline Find More Posts by Al M
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:22 AM
Joined Feb 2012
879 Posts
Snow and fog here!
Tom Wright is online now Find More Posts by Tom Wright
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:22 AM
Wallingford, Ct
Joined Sep 2001
1,934 Posts
Tom,

What prop do you like for this?

Al
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:58 PM
Joined Feb 2012
879 Posts
AI.
Err...is that for the weather lol ,or the SFH Crane Fly? Prop selection will be dependant on the motor specifications .I would suggest a watt meter is used to establish a full throttle value of 200-250 Watts. ( around 20 A from a three cell lipo)
I use the E max B L 22 20 / 07 with an 8x6 prop .The motor will take a bigger prop ,but my set up runs cool and gives plenty of power for a primary trainer application.

Tom.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:50 PM
Wallingford, Ct
Joined Sep 2001
1,934 Posts
Tom,

That is a stout motor. How much does the Crane Fly weigh?

Al
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:23 PM
Joined Feb 2012
879 Posts
AI

Yes it is but I like to under run motors , so never get any problems.The model weighs 25 oz with a 1.8A lipo. A smaller motor will do the job if needs must.

Tom.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:27 PM
Joined Feb 2012
879 Posts
The weather is getting worse!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:17 AM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,816 Posts
Tom,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to make and share your instructions. I am pretty new to autogyros, but did build the twirl a few months back. It was a lot of fun, but the foam couldn't hold up the the abuse (mostly hangar rash) and I have been looking for something more sturdy.

I started building your Crane Fly last night and am pleased to say it is coming along fast. I look froward to flying her soon and I will post pics here later on.
Derek_S is offline Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:05 PM
Joined Feb 2012
879 Posts
Derek Hello

Thanks for posting , a lot of Crane Flies are built,but not so many builders share their build experiences,which is a shame, as the fun ,trails and tribulations make the forums more interesting and informative.

I would recommend first timers have a read of "Micky's sticky "and in particular the sections that cover blade design , the effects of blade inertia, cog ,coning,and simple flex plate characteristics. It will not necessarily help with piloting ,but if you go on to build more Autogyros, and experiment to make improvements,the basic knowledge can be helpful .

The Crane Fly fus, tail, and mast design is utterly simple, just leaving the rotors to get right .A narrow blade chord is used for efficiency, but more so for easy building and minimal sanding . The AUW with lipo should be 22-25 oz,( not sure I mentioned that in the pdf).

Do keep in touch with progress, and feel free to ask questions .

Tom.
Last edited by Tom Wright; Mar 11, 2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:58 PM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,816 Posts
Sounds good. I started reading that info but didn't get all the way through it yet.

I look forward to flying this thing, and perhaps modding it. I have been looking at dual action rotor-heads (or whatever they are called) and trying to fathom how I might construct one to modify this autogyro in the future.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:26 PM
Joined Feb 2012
879 Posts
Derek

If it's any help I could post the original mk2 build blog pdf which includes details on how to build a simple control head that operates in pitch and roll .

Tom.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:30 PM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,816 Posts
Sure, I would like to look at it.

I like that on the Crane Fly maybe I can simply add a servo and install a P/R mast to replace the single action) one in the future without much fuss.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:40 PM
Joined Feb 2012
879 Posts
Derek

The dual function head will only add unnecessary complications ,particularly when considered within the context of early Autogyro experiance . The SFH version does not suffer any down sides due to the elevator replacing a head with pitch control, providing it is built as per the blog. A number of builders have incorporated features from other designs and then wondered why the model does not fly right .
It would not be advisable to mix features found in the MK 2 Blog with the SFH blog unless you are confident about designing an Auto gyro from scratch,they may look similar ,but they are not.
Sorry for going on but I am just doing my best to help .

Sorry the MK 2 pdf file size is two large even for the new down load option ,if you PM e mail ,I will send . .

Tom.
Last edited by Tom Wright; Jan 15, 2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:38 PM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,816 Posts
Tom, I got the email. Thanks!

A question, can polycarbonate (lexan, plexiglas) be used on the delta plate instead of G10/fiber plate? I dont have a big enough G10 to do the plate and was hoping that polycarb would work for the time being. I noticed the HK Cierva head is actually using polycarbonate as the plate, but is reported as being weak in the long term.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:29 PM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,816 Posts
Thought I would post a progress picture. I dread building the blades the most, but she is well on her way! I have altered the plan a little but so I could use materials that i had laying around, but for the most part is per the instructions.
RCG Plus Member