HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2003, 11:26 AM
Did You Hear That?
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
2,222 Posts
Question For "Down the Road"...

I was wondering if anyone has been "manufacturing" AP cameras? What I mean is basically getting rid of the extraneous stuff from the higher MP cameras - like flash, LCD displays, casing, etc... I know I've seen a few "stripped" cam threads and there are a few electronic switch mfgs people here... Just wondering if any of the electronics whiz's are making any stripped versions that a semi-electronics minded person could use for bettering their AP... Used camera parts, mix-n-match, plans, kits?... Any place good for looking for used cameras (other than eBay)?...

Just wanted to hear about anything for "down the road"... Santa's supposed to bring the AIPTEK SD so I can join the fun... Should be quite a few interesting pic opportunities here in the Tucson area... Desert, mountains, city - can't wait!... It's hard to keep being good so that I don't just end up with the lump of coal...

Watt Noise?
wattnoise is online now Find More Posts by wattnoise
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2003, 11:43 AM
Did You Hear That?
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
2,222 Posts
Oh yeah - one other ?

Is there a frequency monitor available?... Something that you could have to monitor the model aircraft bands in remote areas to see if anyone is flying on your freq?... or, some other interference capable transmissions, etc...

Watt Noise?
Old Dec 17, 2003, 05:55 PM
Did You Hear That?
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
2,222 Posts
Thanks, aeropal...

I was searching the radios forum as you were posting and found the threads... There's a local Icom America Amatuer dealer here... I was going to check out the handhelds... Didn't really want to get into another transmitter setup at this point because I still couldn't monitor the ones I already have... Anyone familiar with the Icom America scanners? Would they actually have an audible tone at the aircraft's channel frequency if it were in use?

Watt Noise?
Old Dec 17, 2003, 08:29 PM
Beam me up Scotty
Central Ohio
Joined Dec 2002
550 Posts
I think the AMA has scanners they loan out to clubs for
checking radio interference problems on all the channels.
I know they used to have the scanners, whether they still do
I don't know. It was one of our $58 perks.

Vette
Vette is offline Find More Posts by Vette
Old Dec 18, 2003, 06:32 AM
Long Island, New York
Joined Oct 2003
12 Posts
The answer to your question is yes, we have been building advanced AP cameras for over 75 years. However, our equipment is a little large for your aircraft applications but will image anything for hundreds of miles around. Here's a link to our latest system which was flown recently at Eglin AFB. The system can be deployed on a variety of military aircraft. It features multiple fields-of-view in a single sensor -- the largest with a 120-inch focal length. The system provides either individual or simultaneous visible and infrared imaging, as well as manual or autonomous operation. Take a look at it and tell me if this satisfies your AP requirements and I'm sure it will. We cover both visible and non-visible spectrums. If you want a price let me know and I'll send you a quote. Be warned that you will have to open your check book quite a bit for this system.

http://quickstart.clari.net/qs_se/we....R1yT_DSF.html

BTW here is another link which details some of the other cameras which are available. One of the camera systems will provide a 25 megapixel oblique framing sensor, which is sure to get you a clear picture that you can blow up real large without any degradation what so ever.

http://www.cnir.na.baesystems.com/cn...e_overview.htm
ranger1442 is offline Find More Posts by ranger1442
Last edited by ranger1442; Dec 18, 2003 at 06:55 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 09:05 AM
Did You Hear That?
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
2,222 Posts
Sooooooo.......................OoooooKkkkkkkkk.... ..........
Ranger1442, I guess I need pics of your mounting system and motor/gearbox pics and specs so that I can put the same thing on my Stick, too.........

Playing "Stump the Band",
Watt Noise
Old Dec 18, 2003, 11:27 AM
Long Island, New York
Joined Oct 2003
12 Posts
Wattnoise:

I have found just the camera for you as it is a drop-in replacement for a 5 inch film camera and has a 85 Megapixels CCD Sensor. Here is the link:

http://www.cnir.na.baesystems.com/cn...upgradekit.htm

This little unit will match 1 for 1 a 5 inch film camera in performance and resolution, and is the best of the bunch (largest in the world). I know because I was involved in it's development and it's a dandy design. This baby will give you a 9.2K by 9.2K pixel full frame imager with patented on-chip Forward Motion Compensation! This will compensate for your aircraft's motion, drift, whatever and give you high speed 100 megapixel/sec read out rate for those hard to capture images in difficult lighting conditions. All of our CCDs incorporate high performance and high yield designs commensurate with commercial and military applications. For a little bit extra we can incorporate this proven design into a conformal pod with a center moving section to give you full motion scan side to side.

No joking aside this is a very nice package and will give ultra high resolution imaging from 50,000 plus altitude. BTW we don't use gearboxes with our units as they are less reliable at high altitude temperatures and our mounting systems are usually conformal within the aircraft such as the F-18RC or in a pod as indicated on an F-16. If you open your check book we could develop a scaled down version for you.
ranger1442 is offline Find More Posts by ranger1442
Old Dec 18, 2003, 12:41 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,181 Posts
The ICOM R2 is a very nice scanner for monitoring R/C channels. I recommend that you get the programming cable too.

RC-CAM
Mr.RC-CAM is offline Find More Posts by Mr.RC-CAM
Old Dec 18, 2003, 01:56 PM
Did You Hear That?
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
2,222 Posts
ranger1442: Are you giving out "classified" material again!... hehe... Sorry, but the only thing that comes out of my checkbook when I open it are moths... I've got a credit card on Billy Bob's South American Savings and Loan though if that'll work?!?... It says MusterCard on it, but I think it's just a typo...

Mr.RC-CAM: Thanks for the recommendation... I've got an e-mail into a HAM friend of mine that might have a spare scanner around that he'd be willing to part with... Otherwise, I was going to check out the local dealer for ICOM after Christmas for that particular model... Thanks again...

Watt Noise?
Old Dec 18, 2003, 11:53 PM
Tied to the whipping post
Warm-Sunny-no-Wind, Az.
Joined Dec 2003
2,479 Posts
I have an Icom R2 also and have seen them for less than a hundred bucks. Try Ham Radio Outlet in Phoenix.
DangerBird is offline Find More Posts by DangerBird
Old Dec 19, 2003, 09:10 AM
Did You Hear That?
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
2,222 Posts
DangerBird,
The ICOM Amatuer dealer here in Tucson is P.A.C.E. Electronics which I figured I'd give "first shot" at me... If they seem out of line, I'll definitely check into your recommendation, HAM Radio Outlet... Thanks...

Is there anyone with thoughts on the original question (other than those requiring a GNP of a trillion or more $'s) about different camera "stripped" versions or used cams or mix-n-match parts or local type places to look... Seems like it would be getting to the point in time that older quality used cams would be available or being offered rather reasonably... Or, am I thinking unreasonably...

Kevin
Watt Noise?
Old Dec 19, 2003, 09:32 AM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,181 Posts
Quote:
like it would be getting to the point in time that older quality used cams would be available or being offered rather reasonably... Or, am I thinking unreasonably...
In the small form factor digital camera market, the "older" cameras are probabably not worthy investments. Advancements in camera size, pixel count, image quality, etc., has changed over the last year or two. Heck, it seems to change on a monthly basis.

As far as someone offering a custom stripped down camera, I can't image it being affordable if it was done "for-profit." From my experience, just adding the little R/C signal shutter trigger is basically a break-even venture. Those that are doing this {at the affordable rates} are doing so as a favor, not as a means to put food on the family table.

Of course things could change. But at this point the DIY camera hacks are the most affordable solution. Otherwise, offer a princely sum to someone and you might get them motivated to strip down a decent camera for your needs.

RC-CAM
Old Dec 19, 2003, 10:04 AM
Did You Hear That?
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.RC-CAM
But at this point the DIY camera hacks are the most affordable solution.
RC-CAM
I'm sorry, I know I wasn't real clear... The DIY is the way I was thinking - I was hoping for info on others that might share what they had already done or tried, what worked - what didn't... I can "wield" a soldering iron so it was more of a looking for parts sources (old cams), what could be considered reasonable pricing for used equipment, other peoples projects - not to steal but for my own personal use and expansion of the possibililtes... I was considering that you could put 3 to 5 MP optics and necessary digital image rendering electronics and storage without all the other "fluff" (LCD, flash, casing) and possibly approximate the weight of an AIPTEC SD or similarly smaller cam set-up...

If no info is available, and I find ways of reasonably doing this kind of thing, I will pass it on - if y'all are interested... It'll probably be awhile if there's no "leg up" available though...

Thanks again, RC-CAM...

Kevin
Watt Noise?
Old Dec 19, 2003, 10:25 AM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,181 Posts
There were some posts on eZone where folks have mentioned that they removed the flash components, LCD screen, and/or plastic case, in order to reduce size/weight. These are not complicated tasks to undertake (snip-snip, as they say).

I have avoided that, though. My thoughts are that the camera might be more difficult to use. For example, without the LCD, it could be a hardship to review camera settings or photo count. Or, removing the case will naturally result in a more fragile device. No doubt these issues can be accommodated with some careful planning. {Removing the HV flash cap and strobe tube would be something that would not cause grief to any R/C AP'er, so that would be first on my list.}

Given the ever changing digital camera market, there is a good chance that an ideal {hopefully CCD} high-pixel micro camera to hack will appear soon. At this point the $49 CMOS Aiptek-SD is the latest eZone candidate.

RC-CAM
Last edited by Mr.RC-CAM; Dec 19, 2003 at 10:29 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2003, 10:48 AM
Did You Hear That?
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
2,222 Posts
My in-house "Santa" is supposedly bringing me the Aiptek SD, so that I can get into the foray... The pics from Aipteks posted here on standard set-ups are great... It was just that being the tinkerer I am, planning "down the road", that I would like to try some higher res cams but not have to also change motors, airplanes, etc. to accomodate a cam that was heavier due to stuff that I wouldn't need or use... The engineer part of me always goes to "what can I do to get what I want for the least amount of material, complexity, and cost"... Your point of the LCD is well founded and is exactly the kind of considerations that I was looking for... I keep saying this don't I - "Thanks again, RC-CAM"...
I do appreciate it...

Kevin
Watt Noise?