HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:37 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,426 Posts
Agreed Rcflyyer1, now all we need is a KIT (ya know with balsa wood) of a Dauntless...maybe 80+"????
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:47 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcflyyer1 View Post
Great job with the review. It's amazing what these foamies are starting to look like. When I saw the first picture, I thought it was a giant scale gasser! Amazing scale detail and I bet this will be a good seller since there aren't any or many dauntless foamies for sale.
There is the Windrider dauntless.
http://www.atlantahobby.com/Store/pc...dproduct=15163

Tailskid is 73 inches big enough?
http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/ESMSBD5-71FAF.html
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:55 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,426 Posts
"Tailskid is 73 inches big enough?
http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/ESMSBD5-71FAF.html "

Nice size....and nice selection of gas engines....but it is an ARF

{still might take a second look at it}
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2013, 02:23 AM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,252 Posts
I sure was wondering why it's called "Giant". Comparing it to a ultra micro maybe?
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Mar 05, 2013, 09:13 PM
RC Flier
Joined Mar 2013
2 Posts
My first thought was that there might be other planes in the $300 range that would be better, especially the tx. Still not a bad rig for the money.
radcon56 is offline Find More Posts by radcon56
Old Mar 09, 2013, 03:49 AM
Scratch building addict
United States, CA, Felton
Joined Jan 2005
661 Posts
Nice looking plane I wish I had a field large enough for it.
rotagen is offline Find More Posts by rotagen
Old Mar 15, 2013, 02:49 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,601 Posts
Took this plane to a school demo today and I almost held my dive a little too long...but it impressed the heck out of everyone...myself included when she did pull out and track across the field at full throttle about five feet above the field. She does look great in a dive! I did a very nice helicopter flight to end the demonstration but the kids were still talking about the dive bomber. Well I better get to work. Mike
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:37 PM
Webmaster, MMCNE
Acton, MA USA
Joined Feb 2000
629 Posts
Good review-- very informative.

What's with the "drop tanks"? They look ridiculous! I'm a big SBD fan, and I've never seen anything like that under the wing of an SBD. The SBD had small bomb racks under the outer wing panels, that could carry up to 100 pound bombs. (At roughly six pounds a gallon, that would only be 17 gallons, but they weren't plumbed for gas tanks!)

My other complaint is with the typical sloppiness and inattention to detail in terms of the history and color scheme you find in many ARFs. The kit claims to be an SBD-5, which makes it a late war plane, while the color scheme is the classic SBD-3 "2-S-12" from the battle of the Coral Sea in early 1942. The red center national insignia was gone by the Battle of Midway in June of '42.

An SBD-5 would be in overall gloss sea blue.....
RCBoater is offline Find More Posts by RCBoater
Last edited by RCBoater; Mar 19, 2013 at 11:38 PM. Reason: fix typos
Old Mar 26, 2013, 02:16 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,601 Posts
As mentioned in the article, according to my Navy friend the Navy version did not use drop tanks. The Army version may have but we have seen no evidence of it. Yes the color scheme is wrong for the 5 series. The red dot disappeared early in the war so as not to cause out people on the ground to shoot at it thinking it was a Japanese "Meatball" marking. Aside from that the plane remains a great flyer and I remain very happy with mine. Mike Heer
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2013, 11:53 AM
Scott Walsh
United States, NH, Dover
Joined Nov 2012
8 Posts
Great review, thanks for posting. I'm a fan of this plane. Tell me though, how detailed is the cockpit areas?
snakeplissken81 is offline Find More Posts by snakeplissken81
Old Nov 07, 2013, 01:09 AM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Oct 2003
2,292 Posts
Rear Canopy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeplissken81 View Post
Great review, thanks for posting. I'm a fan of this plane. Tell me though, how detailed is thhat the rear gunse cockpit areas?
I don't think the rearmost canopy segment on the model is correct. I've looked at the rear gun treatment on the model, compared it to many pics of the real airplane. It looks as though the rear gun, or guns, and their mount had to be stowed away in order for the rearmost canopy segment to be closed. When the gun mount is deployed, the rear canopy segments are stowed under the fixed portion of the greenhouse.

Comments are solicited.
Charley38 is offline Find More Posts by Charley38
Old Nov 08, 2013, 05:01 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley38 View Post
I don't think the rearmost canopy segment on the model is correct. I've looked at the rear gun treatment on the model, compared it to many pics of the real airplane. It looks as though the rear gun, or guns, and their mount had to be stowed away in order for the rearmost canopy segment to be closed. When the gun mount is deployed, the rear canopy segments are stowed under the fixed portion of the greenhouse.

Comments are solicited.
That's my understanding also . . .
GradyLee is offline Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:40 PM
United States, PA
Joined Nov 2012
96 Posts
You are both correct. The aft canopy was fully open when the gun is deployed. I also noticed in some pics that often the forward canopy is open in flight too.

I recently bought this bird from Motion RC and it's a sweet looking foamie. I also ordered the Freewing engine sound system for less than $70 but not sure if I want to put it in the SBD since I hate to cut a hole in such a nice bird.

The system comes with two oval speakers so right now I have one in my Tower Hellcat and the other in an FZ Beaver and switch out the sound unit and amp between models.
Eflyer 1 is offline Find More Posts by Eflyer 1
Old Jan 08, 2014, 01:34 PM
Joined Jan 2014
4 Posts
Sbd

Appreciate the review. Just returned to hobby after 25 years, and am only 3 months into warbird foamies.

The dive brakes are indeed a problem. I loosened the screws on servo arms and tried (not having any idea as to whether it might help) clamping the flaps into the proper position for a few days. There was slight improvement.

Then I manually opened the flaps and put the lower one in the proper position and clamped a support to hold it there. I slowly closed the upper one and found that at about 1/4 inch opening, a piece of paper placed all the way to the leading edge, could not be pulled out if I placed pressure on the upper flap.

My thinking is that the areas where the bevel begins at the leading edge of the flaps are interfering with proper closing, and I'm thinking of manually opening them as wide as I can and using something like an emery board to reduce both the upper and lower areas of contacts.

Do you have any thoughts on this approach?

Thanks,
Jukeman is offline Find More Posts by Jukeman
Old Jan 08, 2014, 08:43 PM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Oct 2003
2,292 Posts
Worried about nose-overs on my bumpy grass field. What's the diameter of the main wheels?

CR
Charley38 is offline Find More Posts by Charley38